|09 Feb 2010||#1|
| || |
Getting custom icons to display nicely ?
Something has haunted me ever since WinXP.
If I change the default icon for a file type, or if I change the default program for a filetype, or even if I restore the default program for a file type after it was hijacked by a third application, the icon image is displayed "inside" a blank icon template.
This seems to be MS way of telling me that this file type has been altered. While that may be a nice intention, it looks dead ugly and I don't want to see it anymore.
In the image below, the Photoshop PSD-icon looks the way it should. But the Adobe Illustrator AI-icon looks weird because the extension was hijacked by another program and I was forced to reset the file association to Adobe Illustrator. But that did not return the original display of the icon which was identical to the PSD-icon (apart from colour and text, of course).
How can I get my old icon back?
I am willing to edit the registry if I have to.
|My System Specs|
|09 Feb 2010||#2|
| || |
Rebuild The Icon Cache
Note: %userprofile% represents the path to user profile folder.
Rebuilding the Icon Cache Database
1. Close all folder windows that are currently open.
2. Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.
3. In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.
4. Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.
5. From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)
6. Type CMD.EXE, and click OK
7. In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:
CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local8. In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)
9. Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.
this works for Vista and should be the same in Windows 7
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Getting custom icons to display nicely ?|
|Devices and Printers - Change Device Icons with Custom Icons||Tutorials|
|How do I remove custom theme, and custom icons?||Themes and Styles|
|Preview Icons Not Displaying, Sometimes No Icons Display in Explorer||Performance & Maintenance|
|Win 7 - Not sharing nicely with the other children||Network & Sharing|
|Custom Hdd icons help||Customization|
|Custom Themes, Custom Icons||Themes and Styles|
|Our Sites ||Site Links ||About Us ||Find Us |
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.