Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Remove name from shortcut?


14 Mar 2010   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Mac OS X 10.6.2 x64
 
 
Remove name from shortcut?

I had a program, but forgot what it was, but it could remove the name from any item.

Can i completely remove the name from an item?

Attached is a .zip file with no name with a shortcut with no name, that i had left over from the program.

Can you please tell me how to achieve that?

.zip



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Mar 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 build 7600 (XP, 98SE, 95, 3.11, DOS 7.10 on VM) + Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx
 
 

Right Click -> Rename and then keeping [ALT] pressed type 255 on the numeric keypad (not the number row). Release [ALT]. You should have a single space as the file name but it doesn't show.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Mar 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cclloyd9785 View Post
I had a program, but forgot what it was, but it could remove the name from any item.

Can i completely remove the name from an item?

Attached is a .zip file with no name with a shortcut with no name, that i had left over from the program.

Can you please tell me how to achieve that?

Attachment 60818

This is quite easy to achieve through a little old school CMD work.... showing my age now. :P

- Open an elevated command prompt (type CMD into search, right click on it and open as administrator).
- Use the REN command to rename your file (e.g. C:\test>ren c:\test\tim.txt .txt)
This renames the file tim.txt in the C:\test folder to just be .txt.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to do this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Mar 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 build 7600 (XP, 98SE, 95, 3.11, DOS 7.10 on VM) + Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gladson1976 View Post
Right Click -> Rename and then keeping [ALT] pressed type 255 on the numeric keypad (not the number row). Release [ALT]. You should have a single space as the file name but it doesn't show.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TimStitt View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cclloyd9785 View Post
I had a program, but forgot what it was, but it could remove the name from any item.

Can i completely remove the name from an item?

Attached is a .zip file with no name with a shortcut with no name, that i had left over from the program.

Can you please tell me how to achieve that?

Attachment 60818

This is quite easy to achieve through a little old school CMD work.... showing my age now. :P

- Open an elevated command prompt (type CMD into search, right click on it and open as administrator).
- Use the REN command to rename your file (e.g. C:\test>ren c:\test\tim.txt .txt)
This renames the file tim.txt in the C:\test folder to just be .txt.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to do this?

Desktop Icon Text - Hide or Show - Vista Forums

Remember, whichever method you use, you can't have the same filename for more than one file.
You can use
[ALT]+255
[ALT]+255+255
[ALT]+255+255+255
and so on

OR

REN <file name> ".ext"
REN <file name> " .ext"
REN <file name> " .ext"
and so on

for multiple files. Just add spaces or [ALT]+255 for each file
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2011   #5

7 home premium 64bit
 
 

it was a whole lot easier for me to just open the shortcut context menu, select the :rename: option and hit the space bar. i now have no text under my desktop shortcuts, if I want to display a name on one, I simply do the same steps and hit backspace and it's back to default name.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2011   #6
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

Hello Bishop, and welcome to Seven Forums.

When I do what you suggest by hitting the spacebar, it just defaults back to the previous name since nothing was entered for the name.

I find the procedure in the tutorial below to work though.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...hide-show.html
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Remove name from shortcut?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Remove name from shortcut?
Thread Forum
Solved Can't Remove Zynga URL shortcut from PC Software
Windows Shortcut Arrow Editor - Remove or change the shortcut arrow Free Developer Programs and Projects
remove shortcut tab in properties Customization
Cant remove desktop Icon/Shortcut Customization
how do i remove a shortcut from the games folder Gaming
Remove shortcut arrows? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33