Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Locked computer dual monitor


02 Jul 2010   #11

win 7 ultimate32bit, Win8.1pro wmc 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kirsch View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
Win XP did it properly. I can't remember if Vista does the same as 7. But I want it to lock and just show a password box and keep the wallpapers showing.

I know what the OP wants and I want it to.
Thank you for understanding hah.

To clarify, I do not care if its the desktop wallpaper OR if its my custom logon screen background. Just want to be able to set a picture on the 2nd monitor
kirsch, i dont know if this is of any use to you ? Make the Most of Your Dual Monitors

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Jul 2010   #12

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pebbly View Post
kirsch, i dont know if this is of any use to you ? Make the Most of Your Dual Monitors
Thanks pebbly,

Unfortunately none of those options have anything to do with the lock screen
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2010   #13

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

I don't have dual monitors, so this is just pure conjecture. With dual monitors, you have a Primary and a Secondary. Is it the secondary monitor that is blanking out when you lock your computer? This might be for security reasons - to obscure what might be displayed on it. I take it that your primary one is showing the standard lock screen.

I'm going to request some advice from users that have dual (and multi) monitor setups to see what they have to say on the matter.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Jul 2010   #14

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I have dual monitors.

The secondary monitor will turn off when the machine is locked. There is no way to change that, at least using Windows.

There may be a third-party hack somewhere, but none that I am aware of.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2010   #15

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
I have dual monitors.

The secondary monitor will turn off when the machine is locked.
Thats the thing, it doesnt "turn off".

It DISPLAYS a black screen. You can move your cursor onto it and see it clearly when the computer is locked.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2010   #16

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kirsch View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
I have dual monitors.

The secondary monitor will turn off when the machine is locked.
Thats the thing, it doesnt "turn off".

It DISPLAYS a black screen. You can move your cursor onto it and see it clearly when the computer is locked.
You're right, I wasn't recalling correctly.

Same deal, though. You may be able to find a hack somewhere, but there is no setting in Windows to do that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2010   #17

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

I have been looking and searching this since Vista, and I believe I'm right when I'm saying what you want is not possible. It seems Welcome, logon, logoff, lock, switch user and the screen you get when hitting CTRL + SHIFT + DEL are shown only on display 1, when using extended desktop. When desktop is duplicated, these screens are shown on all displays.

I've also not found any third party software that can show these screens on multiple displays.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2010   #18

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Thanks, Kari.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2010   #19

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Sigh.. well thanks for the input everyone. I suppose I can hope Windows 8 has this capability
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2010   #20

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
I don't have dual monitors, so this is just pure conjecture. With dual monitors, you have a Primary and a Secondary. Is it the secondary monitor that is blanking out when you lock your computer? This might be for security reasons - to obscure what might be displayed on it. I take it that your primary one is showing the standard lock screen.

I'm going to request some advice from users that have dual (and multi) monitor setups to see what they have to say on the matter.
In XP when you locked the machine, all you would see are the wallpapers on the screens, you don't see anything else on the screen, no open programs no icons on the desktop, etc.... The Primary screen would have the password dialog box, but that box moves around every few minutes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Locked computer dual monitor




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33