Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How do you clean up the Open With right-click context menu?

07 Jul 2010   #11
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Did you try Nir's openwithview

It gives the option to disable them .

It also gives you the reg entries - so you can find them from that if you want to manually remove.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Jul 2010   #12
CorneliusM

windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Did you try Nir's openwithview

It gives the option to disable them .

It also gives you the reg entries - so you can find them from that if you want to manually remove.
Hey man, cheers but it hasn't prevented the programs from showing up at all! I dunno whether its because I got the UAC on or not, usually run programs as Administrator with no problems so I'm expecting Windows 7 has some backup or it could be the MRU_List in the registry I dunno
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2010   #13
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

This can also be a file association or plugin issue. As for opening avi files in Chrome etc., look at this page for ideas.

Stop playing media files within browser - Google Chrome Help

Another thing, many apps give you the option to tweak shell integration. E.g. in winrar, I can decide exactly what context menu options are available via the program window itself. Explore such options for the apps you use.

See these pages for ways to finger the context menu.

Edit Context Menu Items In Windows 7 & Vista

How to Clean Up Your Messy Windows Context Menu - How-To Geek
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Jul 2010   #14
Fathther Jack

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Just a thought.
Are you running 64-bit? Some of these registry keys get duplicated in the Wow6432Node. Sometimes you have to change the entries in the Wow6432Node as well, sometimes they change themselves when you modify the "regular" registry keys.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2010   #15
CorneliusM

windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
This can also be a file association or plugin issue. As for opening avi files in Chrome etc., look at this page for ideas.

Stop playing media files within browser - Google Chrome Help

Another thing, many apps give you the option to tweak shell integration. E.g. in winrar, I can decide exactly what context menu options are available via the program window itself. Explore such options for the apps you use.

See these pages for ways to finger the context menu.

Edit Context Menu Items In Windows 7 & Vista

How to Clean Up Your Messy Windows Context Menu - How-To Geek
Cheers for those links I'll give them a try, InfraView was annoying to get rid of through the registry as it constantly kept showing up in the list but, now its gone and I had a FLV Player problem where Open with>Flv Player.exe would play a .flv file with VLC instead but got that sorted
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2010   #16
CorneliusM

windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fathther Jack View Post
Just a thought.
Are you running 64-bit? Some of these registry keys get duplicated in the Wow6432Node. Sometimes you have to change the entries in the Wow6432Node as well, sometimes they change themselves when you modify the "regular" registry keys.
Oh I'm running 32 bit on my laptop but, I think the registry is doing that anyway somehow as I've deleted entries and, when I restart the laptop every entry is the same as it was before I changed them!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2010   #17
DarkStar GT

Windows Home Premium (64)
 
 

Which keys are you deleting and which ones remain?

Some keys are copies of others, you may just be deleting the copies. Next time you log in / reboot the copies are recreated from the "masters".

Can you post full details of one example. In regedit, Export all the "Shell / Open" keys for a specific program. Edit the exported files using Notepad and and copy and post the key data here?

Tip:
Whenever I Export keys from the Registry, I always rename the exported file to a .txt file straight away (keeping the .reg part of the name). That way if I double-click it it opens in Notepad rather than is applied to the Registry. Seems much safer to me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2010   #18
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Not a bad idea Darkstar. You can always change open context menu item to open .reg files with notepad instead of regedit.

Use the merge option to merge, obviously.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2010   #19
CorneliusM

windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkStar GT View Post
Which keys are you deleting and which ones remain?

Some keys are copies of others, you may just be deleting the copies. Next time you log in / reboot the copies are recreated from the "masters".

Can you post full details of one example. In regedit, Export all the "Shell / Open" keys for a specific program. Edit the exported files using Notepad and and copy and post the key data here?

Tip:
Whenever I Export keys from the Registry, I always rename the exported file to a .txt file straight away (keeping the .reg part of the name). That way if I double-click it it opens in Notepad rather than is applied to the Registry. Seems much safer to me.
Well I kind of missed out the Class roots part so now everything seems to be sorted out, Windows Movie Maker and Live Photo Viewer can't seem to be found and their still on all options of Open With when it comes to video files :s
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How do you clean up the Open With right-click context menu?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Left click brings up right click context menu on desktop
For the last few weeks whenever I left click on the desktop it brings the right click menu. This dosen't happen in the browser (firefox), but only in the windows desktop and start menu. However i the browser if I am on a web player like youtube, the portion that displays the video fails to display...
General Discussion
Context Menu - Right Click vs Shift Right Click
How to Expand the Windows 7 Context Menu for More Options This will show you how to expand the Windows 7 context menu to see more available options to select from for a file, folder, desktop, Windows Explorer root window, Windows Explorer window, and the Send To menu. Here's How:
Tutorials
Unable to remove MagicISO context menu from right click menu in Win 7
Hey it's been a while since I've last been here, I really enjoy this Win 7 community hope everyone is doing well. Anyway let me cut to the chase, basically I want to be able to remove the MagicISO context menu from the right click context menu in Windows 7. See pics to understand what I'm...
Customization
Open in New Process - With or Without Shift+Right Click Context Menu
How to Use "Open in New Process" Context Menu Item With or Without Shift+Right Click This will show you how to be able to use the Open in New Process context menu item with or without Shift+Right Click on a folder or drive for all users in Windows 7 and Windows 8. You must be logged in as...
Tutorials
Expanded right click context menu on jumplist items (open multiple files with an app)
I visit these forums alot, and ran a search just incase, yet was not able to find this anywhere. It's something I thought could be useful for some people You know how you can shift+right click on items in windows explorer to get added options? Well, the same command works on jump lists, except...
General Discussion
MSE in right click context menu.
I just discovered this thread but could not repond to it because it is more than 110 days old. Nevertheless, the mystery remains. The interesting observation I made is that MSE is in the right click context menu of my 64bit Win7 but not in my 32bit Win7. I wonder why? - and how can I get it into...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App