Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: question about the icon changing

06 Jul 2010   #1
thungmail

win 7 pro
 
 
question about the icon changing

Iam a newbie, I need some help for this trouble: after changing the icon for MS word file and then I opened it, there was an icon on the taskbar with old format.How can I make to change it to the new icon




Attached Thumbnails
question about the icon changing-untitled.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Jul 2010   #2
Fathther Jack

Windows 7 x64
 
 

By default the Installer folder is hidden so make sure you can "see" hidden folders before you start .

Go to this folder. C:/Windows/Installer/Long number ending with -000000FF1CE

Inside you will find Wordicon.exe. Open Wordicon.exe with Resource Hacker (scroll down the page to the pink box) or any other resource viewing software. Change the icon in icongroup #200 (it's the first icongroup in the list) for the icon you want to have. SAVE the modified .exe file, it will automatically create you an un-modified back-up file.
Open Word and you should see your new icon in the toolbar. In this case, a Washing Machine !!

P.S. You can just see the edge of the "original" Wordicon.exe to the left of the "Washing Machine" one!!


Attached Images
question about the icon changing-07-07-2010-08-29-16.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2010   #3
thungmail

win 7 pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fathther Jack View Post
By default the Installer folder is hidden so make sure you can "see" hidden folders before you start .

Go to this folder. C:/Windows/Installer/Long number ending with -000000FF1CE

Inside you will find Wordicon.exe. Open Wordicon.exe with Resource Hacker (scroll down the page to the pink box) or any other resource viewing software. Change the icon in icongroup #200 (it's the first icongroup in the list) for the icon you want to have. SAVE the modified .exe file, it will automatically create you an un-modified back-up file.
Open Word and you should see your new icon in the toolbar. In this case, a Washing Machine !!

P.S. You can just see the edge of the "original" Wordicon.exe to the left of the "Washing Machine" one!!
Thanks for your hint. I will follow up.One more thing is I cant not use Resource Hacker because whenever I executed it and then my computer was "out of system resource".Are there any resource viewing softwares I can use. I also tried reshack and restoration but none of them worked
Tuan Tran
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Jul 2010   #4
Fathther Jack

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by thungmail View Post
Thanks for your hint. I will follow up.One more thing is I cant not use Resource Hacker because whenever I executed it and then my computer was "out of system resource".Are there any resource viewing softwares I can use. I also tried reshack and restoration but none of them worked
Tuan Tran
ResHacker 3.5.2 does that quite a lot BUT you just close the warning window, if you then change the icon, when you put the new one in the chances are you'll get the same warning again. Again close the window. Click edit in the main menu bar and click save (not save as, otherwise you have to "search" through the system to find the file you're looking at!!). The transfer will have happened.

I'm guessing here but I think when ResHack says it is out of resources, what it means is that it doesn't have the ability to display icons larger than 48x48 pixels.

To make sure it's changed (if I have doubts) I usually download MicroAngelo Toolset Trial. you can view and change all the icons within the exe (or dll) file you are viewing with this as well but sometimes it throws a wobbly at you but it won't tell you until you try to save the file. Not much fun if you've changed a load of icons .

Also worth a look at is Bot Productions Icon Viewer, this will add a new tab to a files properties window that you can view all the icons the file contains.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #5
thungmail

win 7 pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fathther Jack View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by thungmail View Post
Thanks for your hint. I will follow up.One more thing is I cant not use Resource Hacker because whenever I executed it and then my computer was "out of system resource".Are there any resource viewing softwares I can use. I also tried reshack and restoration but none of them worked
Tuan Tran
ResHacker 3.5.2 does that quite a lot BUT you just close the warning window, if you then change the icon, when you put the new one in the chances are you'll get the same warning again. Again close the window. Click edit in the main menu bar and click save (not save as, otherwise you have to "search" through the system to find the file you're looking at!!). The transfer will have happened.

I'm guessing here but I think when ResHack says it is out of resources, what it means is that it doesn't have the ability to display icons larger than 48x48 pixels.

To make sure it's changed (if I have doubts) I usually download MicroAngelo Toolset Trial. you can view and change all the icons within the exe (or dll) file you are viewing with this as well but sometimes it throws a wobbly at you but it won't tell you until you try to save the file. Not much fun if you've changed a load of icons .

Also worth a look at is Bot Productions Icon Viewer, this will add a new tab to a files properties window that you can view all the icons the file contains.
I wish I could use ResHack because my computer was crashed before ( I dont know because of the error or not ). Are there any chances else to do it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #6
Fathther Jack

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Download the Miroangelo toolset trial. You can use the "librarian" component to change the icon.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #7
thungmail

win 7 pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fathther Jack View Post
Download the Miroangelo toolset trial. You can use the "librarian" component to change the icon.
Let me try and I will inform about the process. Thanks for your help
TVT
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #8
thungmail

win 7 pro
 
 

Fathther Jack
I tried it like you said.
question about the icon changing-pix1.png
Then when i tried to replaced the old icon i got the message shown below
question about the icon changing-pix2.png
You have any suggestions. ???


My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #9
Fathther Jack

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by thungmail View Post
You have any suggestions. ???
Yeah. Do not, I repeat, not cover pictures of nubile young ladies with warning boxes or error windows in the future!!.
We're getting there!!
Before you modify the file, right click it and press properties, if the "Read Only" box is ticked, un-tick it, then Apply, then OK. If you still get the "cannot save etc." error, then you will need to take ownership of the wordicon.exe. (I can't remember if I had to or not). See here on how to do it. Might be easier to take ownership anyway. That context entry always comes in handy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #10
thungmail

win 7 pro
 
 

lol it is not a nude young lady. It is an art called painting body.. Anyway I love brazil but they lost. I got it now.
Thanks a lot.Btw can we use Miroangelo toolset to edit and replace all icons of imageres.dll ?
TVT
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 question about the icon changing




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
shortcut default icon always changing back to blank icon
All my desktop shortcut have the google chrome icon at first but then after sometime turn blank white icons. How do I change the default icon for all shortcuts in one click? I am tired of re-installing google chrome each time. I don't know why this is happening.
Customization
Folder Icon Changing
Hi, I have a custom icon for my music folder, in which if I open a song in WMP, the icon of the folder is changed to a thumbnail of the album cover for that song. How can I prevent this? I am tired of changing my icon back over and over again! Rand Marks
Customization
Changing IE9's Icon?????
HI there everyone I use google chrome for my normal browsing but since I am a forum moderator,I must use IE(the reason is that IE shows the preview of what you've done in a topic(e.g Hyper linking , importing an image and etc).But other browsers will show the html based topic(when you are writing...
Browsers & Mail
Changing Folder Icon
I'm looking for a way to change a folder icon, WHILE still seeing a preview of the folder contents. I know it actually says when you change a folder icon: "You can change the folder icon. If you change the icon, it will no longer show a preview of the folder's contents" Not acceptable. :) I...
Customization
Changing Steam Icon
Hey im having some trouble trying to change my Steam icon, i only managed to change its tray icon because it is an .ico located in the Resources folder. But when i try to change the main Steam icon, which shows in the taskbar and in other places, i cant change it because when i right click it and...
Customization
Changing Drive Icon
I have multiple drives in My Computer, and I want to change the icon for those drives to match the content in there. How do I do this?
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App