|07 Jul 2010|
| || |
A number of C:\ folder icons are showing shortcut-folder hybrid icons...
1) [when] to my knowledge, these hybrid icons are new. But I wouldn't bet that big on my memory.
2) [maybe why?] to the best I can ascertain, they appeared at the same time a number of these files became locked (ownership and permission renewed now) and in fact, after the permissions changes, sometimes the lock icons turned to shortcut-folder icons, again to the best of my ability. (I was copying a large amount of data from a DVD to my hard drive when upon completion, the locks appeared in force).
3) I can do the ownerships and permissions, but [how] is there any chance of doing more than one folder or all at a time?
4) I am interested in either [why?] these shortcut-folder icons appeared, if they did or I am interested in general to know that I can overlook what has been staring me in the face for some time. (Imagine the possibilities...) Most of the still locked folders and other shortcut-folder icons are located WITHIN a recently un/locked shortcut-folder icon folder.
5) [How?] do I 'revert' the folder icons back to plain 'ole folders? if in fact, the mini shortcuts are erroneous and they shouldn't be in their hybrid form.
6) [Attempts so far] I searched this forum and elsewhere and tried to 'customize', 'revert', pick my own icon, and otherwise affect the folders' appearance as outlined with no change despite closing and reopening the Explorer. Which wasn't that surprising because I only got the folders unlocked using the right documented process but ok'ing the same error message repeatedly, finally being denied, denied, saying okay, and finding the folder unlocked anyway, now (sometimes) with a hybrid icon. Also, changing the default icon wasn't specific since various folders have been affected.
a) If they are intentional and correct and have perhaps been there all along -- what are they? are they linked folders with identical content but some must be in the HD and some in the library such that they just refer to each other? Why, I ask, really. Can't two copies be directed to be updated simultaneously. The whole directory appears messy and tied together with string.
b) they are C:\ drive folders, like documents and settings...why in goodness name would this shortcut anywhere, it lives in the C:\ as a grouped set of files in a folder for a reason!
c) any other aspect of explanation regarding this issue would be much appreciated. I am a very curious sort and haven't understood what happened from the insertion of that DVD to now. Also any set of directions that may be required, or links to such, would also be smiled upon.
d) if the hybrid icons are erroneous, perhaps in a random fashion, why didn't customizing, reverting, or selecting another icon work?
Thank you at this moment for reading that long entry. Would love to hear any thoughts. If this is easy-peasy, I do acknowledge my novice status and hope only that I can better challenge you in the future (or even provide my thoughts to someone here at a later date).
By the way, I have seen the tutorials, but me messing with the registry would be a huge mistake.
Update: I can gain no access to hybrid icon files, all throughout the C:\ drive, despite earlier seemingly successes. This is, in the least, an ownership and permission issue and two new desktop.ini files have popped up on my desktop. Working Brink's straight-up tutorials every which way have gotten me nowhere. I simply cannot establish either own/perm on a particular file or the random assortment of them. The number of users vary by account control panel settings and by listings through permissions. Clear one, apply, ok, and another new denied user pops up.
I am stumped. Avery
Last edited by avery2000; 07 Jul 2010 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: update
|My System Specs|| |
|08 Jan 2011|
| || |
Every single folder that gives "Access Denied" is a junction for compatability with old software.
You should not mess with the permissions of these junctions.
See the links in my signature.
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for: Shortcut-folder hybrid icons???...rel. to post about folder lockouts|
|View Shortcut as Folder||General Discussion|
|Change Icons, On Program folder and Windows folder||Customization|
|Bulk Change All Folder Icons in Single Folder or Folder Type||Customization|
|Folder Shortcut Sorting||General Discussion|
|Desktop Shortcut & Some Folder Icons Corrupt, any fix?||General Discussion|