Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: atinavrr.sys & ATI AVStream questions

19 Aug 2010   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
atinavrr.sys & ATI AVStream questions

I have been plagued with blue screen issues since I received this new Lenovo Ideacentre B500 all-in-one desktop. I think I have resolved most of them by disabling Teredo Tunneling, and uninstalling Zone Alarm, Daemon Tools Lite and the SPTD driver that came with it.

Unfortunately, I've had two additional blue screen errors recently and both seemed to involve atinavrr.sys. I have had a lot of difficulty finding information online about this driver, but it seems to belong to a product called ATI AVStream.

The problem is, as far as I can tell, I do not have this product (or any product by this manufacturer) on this computer.

My graphics card is the NVidea GEForce GTS 250M.

Under video and game controllers I have listed:
Quote:
Lenovo USB2.0 Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
T507 TV Tuner Card (which I believe is by Yuan)
Total Recorder WDM Audio driver
Does anyone know if any other hardware uses that particular driver? Is it possible that it was installed by the factory for a piece of hardware that is not included on my particular model?

Is it something that Media Center uses to encode video?

The Lenovo also comes with a special remote for playing games which I have not tried out yet. I think it is listed in the device manager under network adapters as:
Quote:
Realtek PCle FE Family Controller
Does anyone know if that uses the atinavrr.sys driver?

I am hoping someone can help me understand what this driver is and why it is on my system. Thanks in advance!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2010   #2
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

That driver is for ATI TV tuner cards, and the Yuan cards use the ATI TV chips on them (I downloaded the Yaun driver from Lenovo and checked the INF and what files are in it, and that driver is one of them). If you haven't double check the driver version for the tuner you have installed against what it shows here,

Lenovo Support - Drivers & Downloads

and if older, update and see if that fixes it.

Also had a look on the Lenovo Ideacenter forum.

IdeaCentre Desktops & Home Servers - lenovo community

but there are no threads there with that driver in them. If updating (or even just re-installing) the driver doesn't fix it, maybe post over there and see what they have to say.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2010   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
That driver is for ATI TV tuner cards, and the Yuan cards use the ATI TV chips on them (I downloaded the Yaun driver from Lenovo and checked the INF and what files are in it, and that driver is one of them). If you haven't double check the driver version for the tuner you have installed against what it shows here,

Lenovo Support - Drivers & Downloads

and if older, update and see if that fixes it.

Also had a look on the Lenovo Ideacenter forum.

IdeaCentre Desktops & Home Servers - lenovo community

but there are no threads there with that driver in them. If updating (or even just re-installing) the driver doesn't fix it, maybe post over there and see what they have to say.
Stormy, thank you so much! I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure out why I had that driver that was crashing my computer. At least now I know it really is serving a purpose.

I have posted on the Lenovo forum before, but rarely ever get a reply. I was hoping tech support would monitor the forum and answer questions, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I checked the version of my driver and it is 6.14.10.373, same as the version listed on the Lenovo Support page... but the date I have is 7/16/2009. On the Lenovo page, that version has a release date of 11/26/2009 and says it was last modified 10/27/2010. Shouldn't the version number change if it's been updated since it was installed on my computer? Or am I wrong about that, and just the date changes?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Aug 2010   #4
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote:
Shouldn't the version number change if it's been updated
You would think so, but it can also depend on which part of the driver has been updated as to whether it gets changed. Seeing as the dates and whatnot don't quite match up, I would start with uninstalling the current driver and re-installing with the one from Lenovo.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2010   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
Quote:
Shouldn't the version number change if it's been updated
You would think so, but it can also depend on which part of the driver has been updated as to whether it gets changed. Seeing as the dates and whatnot don't quite match up, I would start with uninstalling the current driver and re-installing with the one from Lenovo.
Thank you. I went ahead and uninstalled the driver. At least I thought I did...

I had already downloaded the one that was released 11/26/2009 and supposedly modified 10/27/2010. The exe file was sitting in my downloads folder.

I opened device manager to view the driver properties and clicked on "uninstall". I got the - are you sure you want to do this prompt - I clicked yes and it said it had to restart my computer, which I expected.

So it restarts, and I think I saw the little notification area mention uninstalling my driver, but then it quickly switched to "Your driver was successfully installed". I was surprised and figured that it automatically found the new driver sitting in my download folder. The only thing is, when I look at the driver properties, it is still listed with that same original 7/16/2009 date.

Now I'm wondering if it's still my original driver and it's not actually updated? Should I just click on the .exe file for the new driver even though I have a driver currently installed?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I am not familiar with driver installation and updating, and I'm not sure what to make of this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2010   #6
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

It could have been this,

Drivers - Turn Off Automatic Driver Installation

that caused the auto install, but more likely is the folder for it residing in the System32\DriverStore folder. Uninstalling through Device Manager or Programs and Features only removes the files in use and not the ones located in the DriverStore folder. To remove this one you have to select the "delete the driver software..." from the confirmation box in Device Manager; or you have to delete the folder manually (can be fun to find the correct one), and is easier to do it through DM.

Doing the above makes it that upon restart Windows will now through up the Found New Hardware Wizard, and ask what to do instead of automatically installing a driver. As far as installing the downloaded driver, if you just run it it will over-write/replace and of the files that have been changed (if any) or you can uninstall through DM again and then run the installer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2010   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
It could have been this,

Drivers - Turn Off Automatic Driver Installation

that caused the auto install, but more likely is the folder for it residing in the System32\DriverStore folder. Uninstalling through Device Manager or Programs and Features only removes the files in use and not the ones located in the DriverStore folder. To remove this one you have to select the "delete the driver software..." from the confirmation box in Device Manager; or you have to delete the folder manually (can be fun to find the correct one), and is easier to do it through DM.

Doing the above makes it that upon restart Windows will now through up the Found New Hardware Wizard, and ask what to do instead of automatically installing a driver. As far as installing the downloaded driver, if you just run it it will over-write/replace and of the files that have been changed (if any) or you can uninstall through DM again and then run the installer.
I followed the tutorial and turned off driver installation, uninstalled the driver, restarted, and got the same "Driver successfully installed" notification. Is that because I failed to check the box for "delete the driver software for this device"? I left it unchecked in case I need to roll it back. If I check that box, would I still be able to roll back to the original driver if I have a worse problem with the new one?

Thank you so much for your advice!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2010   #8
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

It will completely remove the driver as well as the folder containing it in,

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

folder. One thing I can tell you is the Windows 7 has built in support for that TV tuner as I have that driver sitting there in that location,

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\atiriol6.inf_amd64_neutral_bde34ad5722cca75

to be exact. One way to check is to have a look there yourself, if Lenovo didn't strip Windows down then you should have two of them (look for folders named like above, the string at the end will be different for each). If there is more than one then deleting through DM will only remove the one installed by Lenovo and leave the default one behind.

It will still install the default driver (who knows it may work better), but oyu can then just install the downloaded one over top.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2010   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
It will completely remove the driver as well as the folder containing it in,

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

folder. One thing I can tell you is the Windows 7 has built in support for that TV tuner as I have that driver sitting there in that location,

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\atiriol6.inf_amd64_neutral_bde34ad5722cca75

to be exact. One way to check is to have a look there yourself, if Lenovo didn't strip Windows down then you should have two of them (look for folders named like above, the string at the end will be different for each). If there is more than one then deleting through DM will only remove the one installed by Lenovo and leave the default one behind.

It will still install the default driver (who knows it may work better), but oyu can then just install the downloaded one over top.
I found that folder, but I only have one of them that was created on 7/14/2009, and none of the contents were created or modified later than that date. I don't see any similar folder from today, so I'm not sure what's happening. I guess I will just click the downloaded .exe and see what happens.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2010   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Well, I ran the .exe, and it asked me if I wanted to "downgrade" the driver... which surprised me because I thought it would say "upgrade". It ran, but I can't see any changes. The driver details in DM still list 7/14/2009, and I still only have the one original folder in driverstore. Weird.

Thanks again Stormy13 for all of your help. I really appreciate your taking the time to walk me through all of this. Have a wonderful day!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 atinavrr.sys & ATI AVStream questions





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: atinavrr.sys & ATI AVStream questions
Thread Forum
Four questions about IE9 Browsers & Mail
7 sp1 questions Windows Updates & Activation
New SSD Questions Installation & Setup
Need ATI Unified AVStream Driver Drivers
New SSD questions Hardware & Devices
ATI Unified AVStream Driver did work, but now flagged Drivers

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33