|18 Oct 2010||#1|
| || |
SMC7004ABR printer server
I came here looking for a way to connect my new HP laptop with Windows 7 to shared printers on my home network. One printer is connected to the print server on my SMC router. I found the answer to this one on the Vista forum
port configuration - Vista Forums
The same procedure worked for me on Windows 7, and I found nothing when I searched the Windows 7 forum, so I thought it worth posting here. You have to be patient waiting for the autoconfiguration to fail to get to the additional configuration settings needed.
The other thing that I found here, which enabled me to print to a USB printer connected to an XP desktop computer is at
Printer on Network - No Driver
Here is one way to do it. Also it can be done without connecting printer through USB cable to Windows 7 machine.
1. Add Printer (click)
2. Choose local printer
3. Choose use existing port: print to file
4. If your printer is not listed, click windows update (requires internet).
6. Check to see if printer is now listed.
7. Choose newly listed printer.
8. Printer will then install.
1. Right click printer icon. Left click printer properties.
2. Click port tab.
3. Add new port. Local port
4. Type in address of shared printer ie \\Name or ip address of computer with attached shared printer\Shared printer name
5. Click general tab. Print test page. Run upstairs to see if your test page printed.
Sadly, I could not find out how to connect to these printers at any of the hardware manufacturer's websites, or from within the Windows installation environment.
I had no problems finding the drivers for my printers in the list of Windows 7 drivers. It might not be so easy if your printers are not listed.
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: SMC7004ABR printer server|
|Cant access Printer Network Server||Network & Sharing|
|Installing Win7 printer drivers on W2k3 Server||Network & Sharing|
|Open Access of Printer Connected to Server||Hardware & Devices|
|Printer on Linux cups server - can't print from Windows 7||Network & Sharing|
|Using printer server to access old printer??||Network & Sharing|
|Printer Server||Network & Sharing|
|wireless printer server needed||Hardware & Devices|
|Our Sites ||Site Links ||About Us ||Find Us |
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 AM.