Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Linksys WMP54G Wireless Card

19 Dec 2010   #1

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 
Linksys WMP54G Wireless Card

I just upgraded my friend's desktop to Windows 7, and everything works fine, except for one thing: the wireless card. I've tried searching around for solutions getting the drivers to work for it, but everything I found hasn't helped, so I thought I would try here.

Thank you. =)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Dec 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Linksys by Cisco - WMP54G Support

Tried that?

Gotta ask.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I used to have this card, there is a conflict if system memory is over 2GB.
Was using 32bit version of Windows 7 at the time, not sure if 64bit solved this but pulling some ram out definately did.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Dec 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by an4rew View Post
I used to have this card, there is a conflict if system memory is over 2GB.
Was using 32bit version of Windows 7 at the time, not sure if 64bit solved this but pulling some ram out definately did.
Sounds like addressing conflicts.

OP, If you're 32-bit, consider 64-bit perhaps?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arctic Shadow View Post
I just upgraded my friend's desktop to Windows 7, and everything works fine, except for one thing: the wireless card. I've tried searching around for solutions getting the drivers to work for it, but everything I found hasn't helped, so I thought I would try here.

Thank you. =)
Check windows updates, there is supposed to be a driver there for this adaptor.

The Win 7 drivers for this adaptor may not work right in which case you can go with the Vista drivers in the link below.

Icrontic Forums - View Single Post - *FIX* Linksys WMP54G v4.1 lag on Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Dell and HP use the same broadcom chipsets in some of their PCs. I found a Windows 7 driver at their website. I haven't tried it yet but here it is:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45501-46000/sp45524.exe

Dell supports it to:

Drivers and Downloads

Don't actually install these, just extract them and add the driver to the device.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dnormant View Post
Dell and HP use the same broadcom chipsets in some of their PCs. I found a Windows 7 driver at their website. I haven't tried it yet but here it is:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45501-46000/sp45524.exe

Dell supports it to:

Drivers and Downloads

Don't actually install these, just extract them and add the driver to the device.
Except we're not talking about broadcom chips. We're talking Linksys chips. (read: The title)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2010   #8

Windows 7/ Ubuntu
 
 

No need to be harsh. A chipset and a brand name are not the same thing. Linksys (the brand name) made a ton of these cards under model number WMP54g and they all have different chipsets. Wonderfully confusing, isn't it?

So he may have the Broadcom, or the Realtek (Ralink) or something else. To get your chipset, Artic Shadow, copy the Hardware ID in the Device Manager>>Properties>>Details. Google it and you should see people talking about it along with it's chipset name. This will hopefully lead to a working driver.

FYI the Windows driver for mine (dated 6/2010 does not work.)

Also, the conflicts others are talking about are most likely because they are dealing with a Realtek/Ralink chipset. Realtek is in everything, and unfortunately doesn't play nice with iteself. So Ram, Sound cards, and Video Cards with any Realtek chipsets will often get uninstalled or will refuse to allow your wireless card. (Trust me, I am stearing clear of Realtek, Ralink and ATI from now on. AMD owns them now, but they're just trying to clean up the mess... hopefully!)

My Wifi hardware ID is PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0301&CC_0280
Ralink/Realtek
I have Windows 7-32bit/Realtek onboard sound/ATI Radion with Realtek HDMI sound/3.0Gb ram (Realtek?)/ Intel based cpu/Dell mobo.


So short story, just get a new card for $20 or less because it's not worth it with this one. It will keep doing this even after you get it working.

(I got the TP-link USB 802.11n from NewEgg, and made sure it is not Realek. It's an Atheros chipset.)

Long story... see my post here. Driver attached. Ralink Wireless LAN Card V2 HELP!



BTW a lot of my problems cleared up when i updated my chipset drivers for my Motherboard. Especially if you installed a plain copy of Windows onto an OEM system, it might help. In addition I installed the "Chipset software" which updated my inf files from the generic versions and helped smooth some hardware conflicts. I went to Intel's website.... And of course, *sigh*, Windows updates.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Maybe I should have been more specific. I have the WMP54G Ver2 card which has the broadcom 43xx chipset. I tried the HP and Dell driver an no luck. So I went to Best Buy and dropped $25 on a Netgear card.

I'm really disappointed in Linksys. They were my favorite for networking gear . . . Till Cisco bought them.

Merry Christmas.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2010   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dnormant View Post
Maybe I should have been more specific. I have the WMP54G Ver2 card which has the broadcom 43xx chipset. I tried the HP and Dell driver an no luck. So I went to Best Buy and dropped $25 on a Netgear card.

I'm really disappointed in Linksys. They were my favorite for networking gear . . . Till Cisco bought them.

Merry Christmas.
Linksys is STILL my favorite. I love them.

The card you happened to have though is pretty old and i'm not surprised it didn't work right.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Linksys WMP54G Wireless Card




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Linksys WMP54G Wireless Card
Thread Forum
Linksys WMP54G Driver. Is there one?? I need it! Drivers
Wiress Internet connection issue (Linksys WMP54G) Drivers
drivers not working on linksys wmp54g 4.5 Network & Sharing
linksys wmp54g wireless adapter not working Drivers
Spotty connection with Linksys WMP54G Network & Sharing
x32 and Linksys wmp54g Network & Sharing
Issues with Linksys WMP54G Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33