Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Geforce 8800 GTS - Not working

30 Jun 2009   #1

 
 
Geforce 8800 GTS - Not working

Hey guys,

I am pretty desperate with this problem so I registered here. I am curious if you can help me with this problem because it seems really weird.

I'm trying to install RC1 on the following Computer:

Asus P5VD2-X
C2D 6600@ 2.4 GHz
2 GB DDR2 RAM @ default
Asus Geforce 8800 GTS, 256 MB

Here is the situation:

The disc is burnt, CRC check is done. I insert it into the drive and start up the PC. It says "press any button to boot from dvd/cd" .. that's what I do.

Then it's giving me the "starting windows" logo... and the green loading-icon. After that though, all it does is giving me a black screen. It's not that the monitor is off (I've tried another just to rule that out) but that the gfx is not giving a signal. Safe mode doesnt' work, either.

I tried it with a nother gfx-card ( x800 GTO ) and everything works just fine.

My question is: How do I install drivers for the gf 8800 gts without actually having it built in.

Or is there another way to get the 8800 to work? Thank you very very much for your time.

Bye

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Jun 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kampfkeks84 View Post
Hey guys,

I am pretty desperate with this problem so I registered here. I am curious if you can help me with this problem because it seems really weird.

I'm trying to install RC1 on the following Computer:

Asus P5VD2-X
C2D 6600@ 2.4 GHz
2 GB DDR2 RAM @ default
Asus Geforce 8800 GTS, 256 MB

Here is the situation:

The disc is burnt, CRC check is done. I insert it into the drive and start up the PC. It says "press any button to boot from dvd/cd" .. that's what I do.

Then it's giving me the "starting windows" logo... and the green loading-icon. After that though, all it does is giving me a black screen. It's not that the monitor is off (I've tried another just to rule that out) but that the gfx is not giving a signal. Safe mode doesnt' work, either.

I tried it with a nother gfx-card ( x800 GTO ) and everything works just fine.

My question is: How do I install drivers for the gf 8800 gts without actually having it built in.

Or is there another way to get the 8800 to work? Thank you very very much for your time.

Bye
First welcome to sevenforums
do you have an OS on the machine now. Are you going to dualboot?
Has that card worked before in vista?

waiting on info

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jun 2009   #3

 
 

Hey Ken,

thanks for the reply.
I proceeded by installing Win 7 RC1 with the X800 GTO. Currently there is only RC1 installed, no other OS. The HDD consists of only one partition ( 1 primary ).

I wasn't able to test the card with vista as I jumped from XP Pro to 7 RC1 now. There is a CD though that came with the card, which is labelled "Vista drivers". So in theory it should work.

Really glad to find some help here
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Jun 2009   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
vid card prob

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kampfkeks84 View Post
Hey Ken,

thanks for the reply.
I proceeded by installing Win 7 RC1 with the X800 GTO. Currently there is only RC1 installed, no other OS. The HDD consists of only one partition ( 1 primary ).

I wasn't able to test the card with vista as I jumped from XP Pro to 7 RC1 now. There is a CD though that came with the card, which is labelled "Vista drivers". So in theory it should work.

Really glad to find some help here
We really do help each other here. hope it works if not let us know

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jun 2009   #5

 
 

Yo ken,

the problem still persists though. I mean I could continue to operate on the computer with the X800 but the 8800 is a whole different caliber. So it would be nice to get it to work.

Currently, when I start the computer with the 8800, it still only loads until to the green loading icons... then fades to black and remains black.

Is it possible to manipulate the default vga-driver to get it to work with the 8800? Or to force-install the 8800-drivers while working with the x800, rebooting and then swapping cards?

Sorry if my english is confusing I'm no native. Please ask if the message seems funny or weird

Thanks
-Keks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jun 2009   #6

 
 

to sum it up a bit:

goal: getting the 8800 to work with RC1
problem: black screen after "starting windows" logo.

measures taken:

- tried another TFT
- tried safe mode (black screen also)
- Installed with an x800, then updated the system
- waited for an hour

Thanks a bunch
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jun 2009   #7

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
vid prob

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kampfkeks84 View Post
Yo ken,

the problem still persists though. I mean I could continue to operate on the computer with the X800 but the 8800 is a whole different caliber. So it would be nice to get it to work.

Currently, when I start the computer with the 8800, it still only loads until to the green loading icons... then fades to black and remains black.

Is it possible to manipulate the default vga-driver to get it to work with the 8800? Or to force-install the 8800-drivers while working with the x800, rebooting and then swapping cards?

Sorry if my english is confusing I'm no native. Please ask if the message seems funny or weird

Thanks
-Keks
This a laptop or desktop?

If desktop, have you tried booting off the card that works then plugging the other?

Maybe you could boot to desktop CAREFULLY pop in the other and try to install the driver.

If laptop its gonna be a problem

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jun 2009   #8

 
 

its a desktop... sounds like a good idea, but is it safe to hot-swap the cards? thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jun 2009   #9

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
vid card prob

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kampfkeks84 View Post
its a desktop... sounds like a good idea, but is it safe to hot-swap the cards? thanks
Ummmm maybe

how abt this have you tried booting with both cards in?

ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jun 2009   #10

 
 

hey there,

there is only one pcie... so that doesnt fly
what I did now is start in safe-mode with the x800, select the 8800 driver, shut down and swap cards.

when booting with the 8800 then, it shows the animated Windows 7 logo... and then just restarts without errormessage.

when I disable the automated restart in the bootmenu, it comes up with a BSOD right after the logo, saying there was hardware damage. The card worked just fine under xp, so I think we can rule that out.

THere is one more thing, I'm not sure if it matters at all. The display I'm using is VGA, the 8800 is DVI out. So I'm using this converter inbetween. Does that make a big difference? Would be weird.

Thanks for your input
-K
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Geforce 8800 GTS - Not working





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Geforce 8800 GTS - Not working
Thread Forum
Solved GeForce 8800 GTS 512 Drivers will not install Graphic Cards
geforce 8800 gtx Graphic Cards
geforce 8800 gtx Graphic Cards
w7 cant detect nvidia geforce 8800 gt Graphic Cards
Geforce 8800 GTS Strange behaviour Graphic Cards
overclocking safe geforce 8800 gtx Graphic Cards
nvidia geforce 8800 gt 512 Graphic Cards

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33