Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Downgrade ?

27 Jul 2009   #1
Ryan109

Windows 7
 
 
Downgrade ?

Hey ,
my friend was on my laptop and insisted that i had to try out the windows 7 rc , but what he didnt do was dual boot so i would have my previous windows vista. I do not have the recovery disk and it would not work anyway because he has installed Windows 7 completely on to my hardrive , is there anyway of me getting vista back ? as i do not really like windows 7 rc.
Cheers in advance.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Jul 2009   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

do you have a legal vista serial number (usually on the computer)?
K
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2009   #3
Ryan109

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
do you have a legal vista serial number (usually on the computer)?
K
Yea , i have the sticker on the back with the serial number as i obtained this laptop with windows vista.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Jul 2009   #4
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

At this point it sounds like your only option is a re-install of Vista... If your computer came with Vista pre-installed, there may be a recovery partition, otherwise it sounds like you're SOL ...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2009   #5
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ryan109 View Post
Yea , i have the sticker on the back with the serial number as i obtained this laptop with windows vista.
If you are missing your dvd you could go to microsoft's site and dl the versio of vista that you are eligible for, burn it to dvd. thats not going to get your data, or programs back but it will get vista back for you. You didnt by chance have a backup (either in windows or by 3rd party) did you?

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2009   #6
Ryan109

Windows 7
 
 

No , it was not me that installed windows 7 as i recall , it was my mate. I didnt really care about the swap from vista to 7 as most people loved 7 , but for me it is slowing down my msn for some reason and other things , apart from that i like it. Is there anyway of like increasing the speed ? i wouldnt say it is down to my system requirements as i have 3gb ram , dual core , 2.00 Ghz...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2009   #7
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ryan109 View Post
No , it was not me that installed windows 7 as i recall , it was my mate. I didnt really care about the swap from vista to 7 as most people loved 7 , but for me it is slowing down my msn for some reason and other things , apart from that i like it. Is there anyway of like increasing the speed ? i wouldnt say it is down to my system requirements as i have 3gb ram , dual core , 2.00 Ghz...

Ryan

this wa a clean install? that is he didn't upgrade you vista to win 7 right? the msn thing is fixable, and what other things do you not like? Im willing to go either way. help you with win 7 or help you get back to vista. Your call mate.

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2009   #8
Ryan109

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Ryan

this wa a clean install? that is he didn't upgrade you vista to win 7 right? the msn thing is fixable, and what other things do you not like? Im willing to go either way. help you with win 7 or help you get back to vista. Your call mate.

Ken
First off , Thanks mate.
secondly , yes this was a clean install onto my hardrive, when you download the free windows 7 rc , he choose that as my main os , so i have nothing vista on my system no more. Everything just seem's much slower tbh , internet browser takes longer on web pages , the msn problem , for some strange reason my laptop seem's to be using up more battery and getting alot hotter !. With vista , i was enabled to enjoy the free FAST life with no problems , and the fact that most people hated vista and wanted a new look upgrade of " xp " , windows 7 was built for its fit. Tbh , what is the best solution ? would you stay with windows 7 or move back to vista ? as you can tell i am certainly not a computer wizz .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2009   #9
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ryan109 View Post
First off , Thanks mate.
secondly , yes this was a clean install onto my hardrive, when you download the free windows 7 rc , he choose that as my main os , so i have nothing vista on my system no more. Everything just seem's much slower tbh , internet browser takes longer on web pages , the msn problem , for some strange reason my laptop seem's to be using up more battery and getting alot hotter !. With vista , i was enabled to enjoy the free FAST life with no problems , and the fact that most people hated vista and wanted a new look upgrade of " xp " , windows 7 was built for its fit. Tbh , what is the best solution ? would you stay with windows 7 or move back to vista ? as you can tell i am certainly not a computer wizz .
Ryan

If I were you with your concerns I would suggest a dual boot. You would have the vista you like and win 7 to find out if you like it. My personal feeling is that win 7 is better (mine is 32bit). If you have the disk space, the way you would do it is to backup anything you need to keep, make sure you have the cd that came with your computer (for the drivers), a dvd of vista, and a dvd of win 7. Install vista first, then win 7. when finsihed a boot menu will come allowing you to choose which system to boot into.

What do you think?

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2009   #10
ChrisNYC

Windows XP Media Center, Windows XP Pro, Leopard OSX
 
 

First, check how much your HD is used for. Secondly, if it has more than 20GB, he probably did an upgrade over vista and your files are stil there.
If so, look for them and back them up to a file and re-install vista.
If he formatted the drive and deleted the partion, then you're SOL.
Most upgrades result into a bad install causing DSOD's, errors, glitches, etc.
BTW, how do you get such slow msn messenger?
Also, are you a mac owner?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Downgrade ?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How to downgrade from IE9 to IE8?
Damn microsoft and their IE9 in critical automatic windows updates, that was a nasty move. I have downloaded IE8 from microsoft site but it refuses to install on seven. I don't find IE8 for Win7 anywhere
Browsers & Mail
Downgrade help
Hey guys. I am giving up on Windows 7. I have an XP disk and I put it in but it won't allow me to install XP. If I delete system32 and then put the XP disk in would it work? If not what do I do?
Installation & Setup
Trying To Downgrade To XP
I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate, and I want to downgrade back to Windows XP. I lost my XP disk but I have an .iso that I backed up (Still have my serial key). But when I run setup.exe from the .iso its shaded out where it says "Install Windows XP." How do I reinstall Windows XP from an .iso...
Installation & Setup
Downgrade
Hi, Using 7 Pro but really do feel XP SP3 is way better. I was wondering how hard it is to downgrade, if no, I'd love to have additional details. Regards
Installation & Setup
How can i downgrade to xp?
I installed windows 7 on my laptop a few days back after trying it for a bit i just much prefer XP to it. I tried to downgrade using my system recovery disc i made with the laptop- Which i know works as ive used it on many occasions before. However with 7 its not even loading the disc up, i...
General Discussion
downgrade from RC
The release candidate I am using is Windows Ultimate. When I purchase Win 7 I will get the home premium. Will I have any issues installing the home premium? I guess if I do a backup, then a clean install, everything should be fine?? Thanks!
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App