Mods - if this belongs in "software", rather than "drivers
", please feel free to move.
Problem: "Adobe PDF Printer" in CS4 disappeared and issue not resolved after clean uninstall/cleanup/clean install of CS 5.5. Adobe TS (up to Tier2) no help.
- Had been running CS4 (fully patched) without issues for >1 year.
- Noticed 1 day in 3/2011 that "PDF Printer" had disappeared from installed printers, and I could not "print to PDF" from web browser or other apps.
- NUMEROUS TS calls/remote assists with Adobe TS --> no resolution. They tried all manner of multiple manual PDF printer reinstalls, copying dll files from other computer, deleting OEM driver files from elevated command prompt (!), etc.
- Computer, physical printer, and entire CS4 worked fine, but I had no "PDF Printer", even though the add-in for MS Office worked fine and I could "save as > adobe pdf".
- They said a clean reinstall of CS4 would resolve it, but since CS 5.5 was imminent, I opted to wait, getting by without PDF Printer.
- Today, with Adobe TS assist, I performed a clean uninstall of CS4 > reboot > run Adobe CS cleanup tool > reboot > clean install of CS 5.5 from DVD > reboot > update > reboot. NO errors, no problems.
- BUT, of course, "PDF Printer" is still missing. The Office Add-In seems to be working, though, as I can "save as > Adobe pdf".
- EVERYTHING ELSE in CS 5.5 seems to be working fine, as does the computer and my physical printer.
- NEW round of Adobe TS: same troubleshooting as last time > no joy.
- So, although I now have CS 5.5 instead of CS 4, I have the SAME "PDF Printer" problem.
- FiNALLY: got someone on phone who found a relevant event in the Windows log - he took the entire txt file and escalated to next Tier.
- I am awaiting an outbound call back from them sometime MONDAY!!!
- Deidentified (user name removed) info from that event is below -- please let me know if you need a more complete excerpt or the entire txt file.
Log Name: Application
Source: Windows Error Reporting
Date: 9/22/2011 12:40:39 PM
Event ID: 1001
Task Category: None
Fault bucket 2348186669, type 5
Event Name: PnPDriverImportError
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0
After all the horror stories of folks having to reinstall Windows or worse b/c of Adobe issues, I am pretty annoyed (especially for $600).
I've not found their forum folks entirely helpful in the past, so I hope you wise and kind folks have some suggestions, especially if this somehow points back to a Windows 7 issue???