Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 2 issues with clean Win 7 install on older laptop


29 Nov 2011   #1

Windows 7 X64 Professional
 
 
2 issues with clean Win 7 install on older laptop

I just installed Windows 7 Home Premium (32 bit) on an older Compaq Presario V3020. Everything went awesomely! However, I am having issues with 2 of my devices and I'm assuming they are driver related.

1. Windows Action Center is reporting that I need to "download and install a missing driver for my memory card/memory card reader." Fine, it linked me directly to HP for a direct download of the driver. I downloaded it and the install appeared to be successful. However, the next time I reboot the machine, Action Center reports I need to install the driver again.

The device is a Ricoh SD-MS/Pro-MMC-XD card reader.

2. I am not getting any sound from the headphone jack. All sound is coming through the built in speakers only...even with the headphones plugged in, sound is still coming through the built in speakers. In other words, the sound doesn't even mute with the jack plugged in but, I still get sound from the built ins.

The device is a Microsoft High Definition Audio Device.

I went to HP's web site for drivers but it reports that Vista was the last supported OS for my machine. There weren't any drivers available that addressed my issues anyways.

Anyone here know how I can get this stuff working? I guess if I had to prioritize, the sound issues would be #1. Let me know if I can provide any other info. Thanks in advance.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Nov 2011   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

A quick search on Google that even Windows Vista doesn't appear to have any drivers for your card reader.

If a card reader is critical to you, you can always buy a USB portable multi-card reader that's compatible with Windows 7.

As for your sound problem, try downloading Vista drivers and install them in compatibility mode for Windows Vista.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2011   #3

Windows 7 X64 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
try downloading Vista drivers and install them in compatibility mode for Windows Vista.
Not finding any drivers for sound anywhere. Maybe my google-fu is as broken as my machine's sound.

The driver that Windows 7 installed automatically is:

Quote:
Driver Provider: Microsoft

Driver Date: 11/19/2010

Driver Version 6.1.7601.17514

Driver Signer: Microsoft Windows
The machine came with Windows XP from the manufacturer. It's had various Linux distros and one install of Vista. None had sound issues. I could care less about the card reader.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 Nov 2011   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

You might want to run the Windows Upgrade Advisor as it may offer suggestions.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows

What's the state of your sound hardware in Device Manager?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2011   #5
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

You can find the Vista driver for the card reader here,

Software & Driver Downloads Compaq Presario V3020AU Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

It also has Conexant audio on it and you can find the Vista driver for that there as well. May have to use compatibility mode to get it to install,

Compatibility Mode
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2011   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
I just installed Windows 7 Home Premium (32 bit) on an older Compaq Presario V3020. Everything went awesomely! However, I am having issues with 2 of my devices and I'm assuming they are driver related.

1. Windows Action Center is reporting that I need to "download and install a missing driver for my memory card/memory card reader." Fine, it linked me directly to HP for a direct download of the driver. I downloaded it and the install appeared to be successful. However, the next time I reboot the machine, Action Center reports I need to install the driver again.

The device is a Ricoh SD-MS/Pro-MMC-XD card reader.

2. I am not getting any sound from the headphone jack. All sound is coming through the built in speakers only...even with the headphones plugged in, sound is still coming through the built in speakers. In other words, the sound doesn't even mute with the jack plugged in but, I still get sound from the built ins.

The device is a Microsoft High Definition Audio Device.

I went to HP's web site for drivers but it reports that Vista was the last supported OS for my machine. There weren't any drivers available that addressed my issues anyways.

Anyone here know how I can get this stuff working? I guess if I had to prioritize, the sound issues would be #1. Let me know if I can provide any other info. Thanks in advance.
Have you tried this one in Ricoh 5-in-1 Card Reader Host Controller and Driver Compaq Presario V3020AU Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)=

Using this method Drivers - Install Vista Drivers on Windows 7

I also see this Conexant High-Definition Audio Driver Compaq Presario V3020AU Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)=

Both found here,

Software & Driver Downloads Compaq Presario V3020AU Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2011   #7

Windows 7 X64 Professional
 
 

Actually, my machine is a V3020US not a V3020AU. Don't know if it makes one bit of difference though...they worked! Also, I installed them in Window XP SP3 compatibility too. Don't know if that matters either 'cause...it worked!

Thanks for walking me through to a now fully functioning laptop running Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2011   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
Actually, my machine is a V3020US not a V3020AU. Don't know if it makes one bit of difference though...they worked! Also, I installed them in Window XP SP3 compatibility too. Don't know if that matters either 'cause...it worked!

Thanks for walking me through to a now fully functioning laptop running Windows 7.
You're welcome.

Hey, what ever works.

Glad you're up and running.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 2 issues with clean Win 7 install on older laptop




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: 2 issues with clean Win 7 install on older laptop
Thread Forum
install win7 on an older HP laptop, dv9000, what is not supported? General Discussion
Solved W7 will not Install correctly on older laptop Installation & Setup
Can I Use a Win7HP ISO File for a Clean Install of an Older Vista Sys? General Discussion
Clean Win 7 Pro install issues Installation & Setup
Solved After Clean Install: Battery Charge Issues General Discussion
Solved Windows 7 Ultimate x64 clean install issues. Installation & Setup
Several Possible Issues: Windows 7 Clean Install Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33