Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Adaptec 29160 driver NOT installed - HOW?

15 Jan 2009   #1

XP, Vista Ultimate, trying Win7
 
 
Adaptec 29160 driver NOT installed - HOW?

Have installed the Windows 7 beta x64. It is installed on an SATA drive. I have the above controller card controlling other devices that I need. Device mgr shows the drivers for the card NOT installed. When I go to the c:\windows\system32\drivers folder I only see an adaptec ultrawide 320 card listed NOT an ultrawide 160. I took the driver that IS working in Vista x64 and copied it over to the above folder in Windows 7. Rebooted. Still does NOT see the driver or card. I tried the drivermax program someone mentioned. After it does its search I tried to select the adaptec driver from the list but when checking the box I get an error msg about it can't be found, as it has a -1 yet I KNOW its there as I previously copied it. Adaptec has NO plans to make a driver for this card. ANY way to make this work?????? I need this card to be recognized. THANKS for any suggestions..

My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2009   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate Vista Ultimate x64
 
 

Have you tried to install any drivers in compatibility mode for XP?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2009   #3

XP, Vista Ultimate, trying Win7
 
 

No. I don't understand why/how to install a Vista driver in Win 7 has anything to do with XP. Secondly, and I don't know if this matters but, XP is only 32 bit and Vista and Windows 7 are both 64 bit. IF you believe this will help please describe process and I will try. THANKS for the suggestion..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Jan 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate Vista Ultimate x64
 
 

OK you need to get the 64bit drivers for Vista preferably from your MB manufactures site and install the in compatibility mode for Vista, right click on the setup file and go to properties and go to the compatibility tab and select Vista in the compatibility options and see if that lets you install them. Sorry for saying XP before I didn't look at your specs properly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2009   #5

XP, Vista Ultimate, trying Win7
 
 

Thanks for responding but let me try again. I am currently running Vista x64 and the adaptec scsi controller 29160 card in question is WORKING FINE under Vista x64. On another hard drive (SATA) I installed Windows 7 to give it a whirl. Under device manager my Scsi 29160 card is recognized but states the driver is NOT installed. I went to Adaptec and they say they DO NOT SUPPORT WINDOWS 7 so they have no driver. I thought I read somewhere that this card is supported internally by Windows 7 operating system. When I checked in the Windows 7 drivers folder there is only an ultrawide 320 card listed NO ultrawide 160 cards. I copied the WORKING driver (adpu160m.sys) from Vista x64 and COPIED it into the drivers folder of Windows 7. Rebooted. When checking the device manager again I still find the driver is not installed. I am thinking that since the driver is working just fine in Vista x64 and from what I have read most drivers at this time work under Windows 7 that it should work - it doesn't. The mb manufacturer has NO drivers and is not involved with the scsi controller card. Also, there is no disk or any other program from which I can 'install' via any setup routine so anything to do with installation via compatability is moot. Bottom line: is there a way to make the working driver work in Windows7 and if yes how do I make windows 7 recognize the driver and can this be done manually (cut past or registry modification). I hope this provides clarification as I don't want to take up your time going down one avenue that I believe is NOT open to me at this time. Thanks and I look forward to your next response..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2009   #6

windows vista
 
 

Quote:
I copied the WORKING driver (adpu160m.sys) from Vista x64 and COPIED it into the drivers folder of Windows 7. Rebooted. When checking the device manager again I still find the driver is not installed. I am thinking that since the driver is working just fine in Vista x64 and from what I have read most drivers at this time work under Windows 7 that it should work - it doesn't.
ADPU160.sys is a microsoft mini-port driver...the adaptec page shows no
vista driver for your device....anyway..after you copied that file to your Windows 7 system and rebooted...did you open device manager select your 29160 device, right click and select update driver then point it to the system32/drivers folder where you copied adpu160m.sys????

Good Luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2009   #7

XP, Vista Ultimate, trying Win7
 
 

I opened the device manager and selected the adapter card and did indeed select update driver. The second screen opened and I told it to go to the drivers folder and after selecting it it said, "cannot find the appropriate driver...." IF I still select update and let me pick. I select storage controllers at which point another screen puts up numberous brands. I select Adaptec and still the correct card/driver is NOT there. IS there no way to manually make it find this driver?? None of the steps you outlined works. Can a registry line be edited to MAKE it go there and find the driver? This is such BS.. Thanks for your help and keep them coming.....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2009   #8

windows vista
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
I opened the device manager and selected the adapter card and did indeed select update driver. The second screen opened and I told it to go to the drivers folder and after selecting it it said, "cannot find the appropriate driver...." IF I still select update and let me pick. I select storage controllers at which point another screen puts up numberous brands. I select Adaptec and still the correct card/driver is NOT there. IS there no way to manually make it find this driver?? None of the steps you outlined works. Can a registry line be edited to MAKE it go there and find the driver? This is such BS.. Thanks for your help and keep them coming.....
oh well...only thing I can thing to try is the following...

download the driver for the device from adaptec web site(wxp version)...

right click and make sure every instance of .exe's are run in wxpsp2 compatibility mode....,run as administrator...then see what happens...

Good Luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2009   #9

XP, Vista Ultimate, trying Win7
 
 

No offense, but the drivers for xp are 32 bit (x86) and I am running at (x64) so won't these 32 bit drivers be incompatable not only to the os (xp vs vista) but also as they are running on two different architectures (x86 vs x64)?? Instead, would it be possible to insert the Vista install disk and then stop the install go to Windows 7 and tell the device manager I 'have a disk' then point it to the install disk? Would that work? IF the install disks are packed will that cause a problem?? It just seems like that must be a way to take working x64 bit Vista drivers and use them with Windows 7. Thanks..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2009   #10

Windows 7 beta 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
No offense, but the drivers for xp are 32 bit (x86) and I am running at (x64) so won't these 32 bit drivers be incompatable not only to the os (xp vs vista) but also as they are running on two different architectures (x86 vs x64)?? Instead, would it be possible to insert the Vista install disk and then stop the install go to Windows 7 and tell the device manager I 'have a disk' then point it to the install disk? Would that work? IF the install disks are packed will that cause a problem?? It just seems like that must be a way to take working x64 bit Vista drivers and use them with Windows 7. Thanks..
Hello speedracer,
What you suggest here (inserting Vista disc) may be worth a try, but I doubt it will work.

Before I reply in more detail, please clear up exactly what you're doing.
1. You're running Win7x64. Correct?
2. Did you do a clean install of Win7x64 or do upgrade from Vista x64?
What mobo are you using? What bios version?
3. Do you have the Adaptec scsc 160 card, 29160, that is pci-X slot (64 bit) compatible (NOT to be confused with pci-Express) & backwards compatible with pci (32bit slot)?
4. Is your scsi 160 card placed in a pci-X slot or pci slot?
5. As i understand, you're NOT using any scsi drive as your boot drive. Correct?
6. Can you go into the Adaptec scsi manager during boot? What version is your scsi manager showing? Have you ever updated the firmware on your card?

On your first post you said you could select a x64 U320 driver, but not a 160. Did you ever try to use the 320 to see if it would install?

Sorry for all the questions, and there may be a way to make your card work with Win7x64, will try to help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Adaptec 29160 driver NOT installed - HOW?





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33