My ASUS Notebook was running fine when I went to bed the other night and Windows 7 did an auto update. I logged on the next morning and all the USB, Network Adapter, and Sound drivers
were dead. I checked, and it appears that a few of the components of the Windows update did not complete successfully (.Net framework, Silverlight, etc.), so I assume this has something to do with it. I assumed it would be no big deal to fix the drivers, but boy was I wrong. Here's what I've tried (and failed) to fix the issue:
1. Uninstall latest updates (no effect).
2. Rollback to earlier recovery point (failed, no recovery points found even though I had system set to auto set them).
3. Update, rollback, uninstall, reinstall all affected drivers (reinstall fails every time with the message "Windows cannot load the device driver
for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39
4. Download drivers on other computer, burn to disc, install on broken system (same fail as in #3).
5. Uninstall all affected drivers, then use Driver & Utility disc that came with system to auto-detect and reinstall original drivers (same fail as in #3).
I can't connect to the net to run Windows Update again, and I can't back up my files since I have no USB connectivity. Is there anything I can do short of a total reformat? I assume the system is corrupted in some way. Is there a selective way to determine what's broken and a tool to repair it? Please help!