Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Problem with the driver for Local Area Connection Adapter


17 Mar 2012   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
Problem with the driver for Local Area Connection Adapter

Hello, my laptop works fine with a wireless connection, but now that my wireless router does not work i resort to connecting with a wired connection.

When i'm in the Network connections window, it says that the Local area connection is enabled (RealTek PCIe GBE Family Controller)

However, i'm still not connected to the internet. When i diagnose the LAC it says There might be a problem with the driver for the Local Area Connection adapter.

I have tried ipconfig /all, it shows media disconnected for everything.

I have also tried putting the installation disc that came with the laptop, went to drivers, Realtek, setup, but still does not work.

Anyone know the problem? Thanks for your time.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Mar 2012   #2

Win7 H.Prem. 32bit+SP1
 
 

Have you tried Windows Update when using a wired connection. Is it set like this ?

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  32.8 KB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2012   #3

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ja3n View Post
......... now that my wireless router does not work.....
Are you plugged into the same bad router using a wire?
If yes, maybe the router is bad for wired too.
If not, what are you plugged into?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


18 Mar 2012   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
Have you tried Windows Update when using a wired connection. Is it set like this ?

Attachment 203271
No I haven't, don't I need the internet connection to work for that?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ja3n View Post
......... now that my wireless router does not work.....
Are you plugged into the same bad router using a wire?
If yes, maybe the router is bad for wired too.
If not, what are you plugged into?
No, my wireless router just didn't turn on after I tried to reset it, everything in my house is now connected to my modem including this computer i'm using to post this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2012   #5

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

I'm not sure what try next - so I'll just throw some things out.
Feel free to ignore them. Really :-)

The computer that cannot get online = "bad computer"

Does the "bad computer" have a tiny light by the LAN jack? If yes, is it green or orange when a LAN cable is connected? If you disconnect the LAN cable from this "bad computer", does Windows tell you that the LAN cable has been disconnected?

Maybe you have already tried this...
...but let's test one port on the modem/router & one LAN cable:
Disconnect the LAN cable from the back (or side) of the "bad computer".
(Do not disconnect this LAN cable from the modem/router's port.)
Plug the LAN cable into a computer that is getting online.
If the computer that was getting online can still get online, then we know that the modem/router port is good and that the LAN cable is good.

Can you please post a screenshot or copy/paste the ipconfig/all info from the "bad computer"? Hopefully you have a flash drive that you can use to transfer the image or text to a "good computer".

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2012   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
I'm not sure what try next - so I'll just throw some things out.
Feel free to ignore them. Really :-)

The computer that cannot get online = "bad computer"

Does the "bad computer" have a tiny light by the LAN jack? If yes, is it green or orange when a LAN cable is connected? If you disconnect the LAN cable from this "bad computer", does Windows tell you that the LAN cable has been disconnected?

Maybe you have already tried this...
...but let's test one port on the modem/router & one LAN cable:
Disconnect the LAN cable from the back (or side) of the "bad computer".
(Do not disconnect this LAN cable from the modem/router's port.)
Plug the LAN cable into a computer that is getting online.
If the computer that was getting online can still get online, then we know that the modem/router port is good and that the LAN cable is good.

Can you please post a screenshot or copy/paste the ipconfig/all info from the "bad computer"? Hopefully you have a flash drive that you can use to transfer the image or text to a "good computer".

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums
The wire comes from my xbox 360's internet wire, which works fine with the xbox. So the modem is perfectly fine as it gives me internet for the many PC's in my house, ps3 and xbox 360.

When I put in IPCONFIG /ALL it shows media disconnected for everything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2012   #7

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

It is possible (but unlikely) that one port on the modem/router is bad. That is one of the things what the "swapping around" experiment was designed to test... that and the LAN cable itself.

I understand that all media is disconnected in the ipconfig return - I was just hoping that a screenshot might show something that other members might see as the issue... like lots of tunnel adapters.

Instead of the drivers from the CD, have you tried downloading the latest drivers and using a flash drive to move them to the "bad computer"?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Problem with the driver for Local Area Connection Adapter




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33