I have had the same problem with my Perfection 1640SU and the 2400 driver highlighted by pcspecialist
also worked for me. As a result I have tweaked the .inf to correctly identify the 1640SU as well as
the 2400. Credit for the original solution goes to pcspecialist
. Why Epson can't do this is still a mystery.
In case anyone else wants a copy of this I have uploaded it to the web. Instructions:
(1) Download the Epson Perfection 2400 Photo driver
(2) Run the exe and select 'Unzip'. When 'EPSON Scan Setup' comes up don't continue
- leave the setup running
and go to step (3).
(3) In your browser go to http://www.shlock.co.uk/Utils/EPSON/Es27.inf
. Depending on your browser either download to - or save this file as - C:\EPSON\epson12180_twain_driver_and_epson_scan_utility_304a\Es27.inf (not .txt!
(4) Return to the EPSON Scan Setup and continue to install as an 'Epson Perfection 2400'.
(5) Go to Device Manager, right click your scanner, Update Driver and Software...
Browse my computer..... and enter or browse to: C:\EPSON\epson12180_twain_driver_and_epson_scan_utility_304a
(6) The scanner driver should install and identify your scanner as an EPSON Perfection 1640SU.
Thanks again to pcspecialist