Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: need help retoring drivers from "windows.old"

29 Oct 2012   #1

windows 7 home premium - 64 bit
 
 
need help retoring drivers from "windows.old"

okay,

So I recently had to reinstall 7 over top of 7, when you do this it prompts you that it has created a folder with all the old files (documents, music, ect.) from the last version of 7 called "windows.old" now when i did this it installed the OS only and none of the drivers. i do not have a utility or application disc because for some reason Acer does not provide one (its really irritating)

Any way. I looked at the 'Windows.old' folder and in there is all of the .sys files for my drivers. i tried a few things such as moving the .sys files into the Drivers folder of the new 7 i installed. that did not work. I also tried to find the paths using the Manager. as in the tutorial here www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/97061-driver-install-device-manager.html it too failed. Does anyone know what to do? I would just install a driver pack online, but the drivers for my ethernet and lan card are obviously not working due to this issue.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Oct 2012   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dull View Post
okay,

So I recently had to reinstall 7 over top of 7, when you do this it prompts you that it has created a folder with all the old files (documents, music, ect.) from the last version of 7 called "windows.old" now when i did this it installed the OS only and none of the drivers. i do not have a utility or application disc because for some reason Acer does not provide one (its really irritating)

Any way. I looked at the 'Windows.old' folder and in there is all of the .sys files for my drivers. i tried a few things such as moving the .sys files into the Drivers folder of the new 7 i installed. that did not work. I also tried to find the paths using the Manager. as in the tutorial here www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/97061-driver-install-device-manager.html it too failed. Does anyone know what to do? I would just install a driver pack online, but the drivers for my ethernet and lan card are obviously not working due to this issue.
Hiya and welcome to the forums
1st things 1st could you fill in your system spec in full please... this will help us try and solve your issues pal
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2012   #3

windows 7 home premium - 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PooMan UK View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dull View Post
okay,

So I recently had to reinstall 7 over top of 7, when you do this it prompts you that it has created a folder with all the old files (documents, music, ect.) from the last version of 7 called "windows.old" now when i did this it installed the OS only and none of the drivers. i do not have a utility or application disc because for some reason Acer does not provide one (its really irritating)

Any way. I looked at the 'Windows.old' folder and in there is all of the .sys files for my drivers. i tried a few things such as moving the .sys files into the Drivers folder of the new 7 i installed. that did not work. I also tried to find the paths using the Manager. as in the tutorial here www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/97061-driver-install-device-manager.html it too failed. Does anyone know what to do? I would just install a driver pack online, but the drivers for my ethernet and lan card are obviously not working due to this issue.
Hiya and welcome to the forums
1st things 1st could you fill in your system spec in full please... this will help us try and solve your issues pal
im not too sure what is in it honestly. its just an out of the box laptop an Acer Inspire-5750. it has a I5 processor and 4gb of Ram and runs at 2.30ghz thats about all i know about it. i dont know what kinds of hardware is in it sadly. sorry if its not helpful but it is what it is
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 Oct 2012   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

the latest drivers for your "Acer" "aspire" "5750" are available over here pal .... just choose the correct model number and OS choice and your good to go ... Download

1. Select "Driver Downloads" (on left)
2. Then select "notebook" "aspire" "5750" on the right side of screen
3. Select the "OS" (32/64bit)
4. Then Download and install the ones you need
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2012   #5

windows 7 home premium - 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PooMan UK View Post
the latest drivers for your "Acer" "aspire" "5750" are available over here pal .... just choose the correct model number and OS choice and your good to go ... Download

1. Select "Driver Downloads" (on left)
2. Then select "notebook" "aspire" "5750" on the right side of screen
3. Select the "OS" (32/64bit)
4. Then Download and install the ones you need
Hey man thank you so much for your help after getting the driver for my Wifi Card off that site and on a drive everything else has been smooth sailing. i appreciate the help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2012   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Your welcome pal
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 need help retoring drivers from "windows.old"





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33