|07 Feb 2013||#1|
| || |
Some secondary display error after updated driver
I'm having a trouble with my display. 9 months ago I bought this laptop (ASUS K43S) with no OS installed. So I install windows 7 x64 (somehow this laptop is not compatible with x32 system, display just won't work after restart post-driver installation) and use supplied driver DVD to complete the instalation. The problem is the VGA driver, it's nVidia graphics driver version 268.83, this driver worked just fine. Till six months later I apply driver update to 303.xx (I don't remember exactly) because it provides 10% performance upgrade to Mass Effect 3 (I'm middle-class gamer, but play for story). But in negative side, it also caused several problems:
1. My secondary display do not display it's native resolution anymore.
When I try to force it's native resolution through nVidia CP, it gave "Test failed" notification and both my display went blank for a while then my secondary display disconected (while my primary display back on normally).
2. The OS didn't automatically switch to "Extend to second display" mode even thought I unplug the vga cable leaving Windows in "Extended display" mode.
3. I can't play games in my secondary display. Or use it to display any program in full-screen, except playing videos in full-screen. If I try to do that, my secondary display would disconect itself like problem #1.
As far as I know this is not hardware problem, I tried to connect my secondary monitor to my friend's laptop and it works 100% fine. All three same problem happens with projectors (except for problem #1).
I think that I might had installed a bad/faulty driver so I rolled back to my old driver. But the problems didn't go, forcing me to completely reinstall my system then use driver from my laptop's driver DVD. And the problem gone.
BUT 3 months later I updated my VGA driver again, this time nVidia driver version 310.70. AND all those problems returns. Since I really need to update CUDA runtime this time, I need to solve this problem. I regularly use my secondary monitor for video editing (you'd understand that one display is absolute requirement for such job). Since then I use other computer to work, I rarely take work home. So I ignore the problems for one month (It's now; these last weeks to be exact), but since I also need to work home now, I need this problem solved.
The specifications of my laptop and secondary display:
Laptop model: ASUS K43S
Processors: Intel i3 4 cores @2.20ghz
Memory: 2GB DDR3
VGA: nVidia geforce GT520M
Primary display native resolution: 1366x768 (I don't know the model, it's not written in manual)
Secondary display native resolution: 1440x900; samsung syncmaster 733nw --listed as generic monitor in device manager.
Some ways I tried didn't work:
1. Clearing stored EDID/display settings in my registry
2. Do *.inf EDID override, but I'm pretty sure that any tutorial on the web only apply override to primary display.
3. I also tried diagnostic startup from msconfig, but any service which allows me to connect display is disabled.
* I refuse another complete reinstall since I just lost 500GB worth of master data in my another hard drive & to redownload all of them again with 364kbps ISP is just pain in the sack.
** I already ask support from nVidia support service 3 weeks ago, but no reply ever since.
*** In case you wondering if I installed wrong package, I installed from "xxx.xx-notebook-win8-Windows 7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe"
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Some secondary display error after updated driver|
|Display Driver has stopped working error||Drivers|
|Display Driver Error||Drivers|
|Display Adapter Driver error with Windows 7.||Drivers|
|MCE on Secondary Display?||Media Center|
|Display driver error||BSOD Help and Support|
|BSOD driver display error||BSOD Help and Support|
|New device & secondary display||Hardware & Devices|