Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Big painful drivers problem

26 Dec 2013   #11
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

This is not exactly how your video card will look like - but it shows the fan about half way thru:

I did not listen to the audio - so I don't know what the guy said...
...hence no endorsement of the info presented.

I'm also not suggesting that you replace a fan as shown,..
...it is just the first video that I found for you.

Do not use a regular vacuum cleaner to clean dirt/dust from a computer. Compressed air was mentioned or take it to a professional.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Dec 2013   #12
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Also when cleaning fans many suggest to block the fan from spinning wildly as the fan can turn the motor into a generator to create unwanted current.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2013   #13
matts6887

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
Also when cleaning fans many suggest to block the fan from spinning wildly as the fan can turn the motor into a generator to create unwanted current.
Very interesting!: I probably would have never thought of this one; but now that i take a moment to think about it; i can see why. Even while spinning it with the computer off(which should ALWAYS be done while dusting out the case etc.); it can create "back-current"; and possibly give a surge to other components on the board.(possibly unless you are sure to unplug the system and hold the power button for about 5-10 seconds to release any current then I think you should be ok).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Dec 2013   #14
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by matts6887 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
Also when cleaning fans many suggest to block the fan from spinning wildly as the fan can turn the motor into a generator to create unwanted current.
Very interesting!: I probably would have never thought of this one; but now that i take a moment to think about it; i can see why. Even while spinning it with the computer off(which should ALWAYS be done while dusting out the case etc.); it can create "back-current"; and possibly give a surge to other components on the board.(possibly unless you are sure to unplug the system and hold the power button for about 5-10 seconds to release any current then I think you should be ok).
No - you will not be ok.
Edit: I did not mean that to sound so harsh :-(

Almost any motor can become a generator...
...just like almost any speaker can become a microphone.

If you spin a fan, you make electricity - albeit, inefficiently.

If you cause a speaker to vibrate, you make electricity - albeit, inefficiently.



A well built supply circuit can handle the current generated by cleaning the fan :-)
Not all supply circuits are built well :-(
Be safe. Prevent the fan from spinning too fast if compressed air is being used to clean it.

...and then there is the danger of ESD that fast moving air generates :-(
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2013   #15
davideB

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Guys I think that the best solution (and probably even the only one) is to change my graphic card.

At this point, I'm not even trying to find another solution, because of the time wasted, the unbearable attempts which turned into total disappointment and because I think it's the best thing to do.

Just one last question: what's better, an ATI Radeon 5850 HD Series or a ATI Radeon 7750 HD Series ? In your opinion.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2013   #16
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Well David that leads us to the next question, what PSU are you using?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2014   #17
davideB

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
Well David that leads us to the next question, what PSU are you using?
Sorry for not responding, I spent holidays away.

Anyway, my power supply is ZM500ST, featuring a power of 500W (ATX12V)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2014   #18
matts6887

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by matts6887 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
Also when cleaning fans many suggest to block the fan from spinning wildly as the fan can turn the motor into a generator to create unwanted current.
Very interesting!: I probably would have never thought of this one; but now that i take a moment to think about it; i can see why. Even while spinning it with the computer off(which should ALWAYS be done while dusting out the case etc.); it can create "back-current"; and possibly give a surge to other components on the board.(possibly unless you are sure to unplug the system and hold the power button for about 5-10 seconds to release any current then I think you should be ok).
No - you will not be ok.
Edit: I did not mean that to sound so harsh :-(

Almost any motor can become a generator...
...just like almost any speaker can become a microphone.

If you spin a fan, you make electricity - albeit, inefficiently.

If you cause a speaker to vibrate, you make electricity - albeit, inefficiently.



A well built supply circuit can handle the current generated by cleaning the fan :-)
Not all supply circuits are built well :-(
Be safe. Prevent the fan from spinning too fast if compressed air is being used to clean it.

...and then there is the danger of ESD that fast moving air generates :-(

Oops once again i made a boo boo by saying you should be ok. You are right though you won't be ok as ur right any type of fan motor etc can generate electricity still.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2014   #19
davideB

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

So guys, right now I'm having this doubt.

If I will change my graphic card to another one this problem is 100% sure that it will be fixed?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jan 2014   #20
davideB

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Bump
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Big painful drivers problem




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Painful Noises in Headphones
Hello, I have a problem with using headphones on my computer. When I listen with headphones (any kind of headphones; I've tried four different pairs), when no music is playing, I hear random noises. Sometime they're brief click-sounding things; sometimes they are high-pitched painful drones;...
Sound & Audio
This is painful..
After many months of using W7 x64 and having various, extremely frustrating problems that I've never had with any other OS (even with the same hardware & software configuration), I'm now asking for help because this current problem is beyond my ability to solve. For the last few weeks, within a...
General Discussion
moving music files: copy/ xfer speed (painful)
answer is probably very simple. Perhaps as simple as, "Just deal with it. There is no way to increase the speed of file xfer" . Here is my setup. I have a wireless NAS (Thecus N0503 - neat little gadj). It has two folders: the first one was created when I directly copied (via usb) my extensive mp3...
Performance & Maintenance
Is this drivers problem??
Hello All I am facing problem with my HP DV4 1204tu, i want to know is this drivers problem?? When i was using Vista basic same problem happen and now i am using 7 Ultimate and problem persist with below code of error. My PC gives me bluescreen while starting PC or in between working....
Drivers
Drivers Problem?
I have Dell Latitude D420, Windows 7 Professional was installed few days ago. Since, sometimes, the wireless connection would turn out to be very slow; most of time is normal though. The wireless card is Dell 1490 dual band WLAN mini card. I tried to find a driver to be compatible with Windows 7,...
Network & Sharing
usb problem (drivers?)
I've installed windows 7 and now my usb stick is not recognized, it shows in "my computer" , and in "device manager" it shows as a mass storage device... but i cant open/explore it or get any actual details on it... what do i do????? thanks
Drivers

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:35.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App