Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: External USB 3.0 Hub behave normally or ideally with 2.0 on Win7 ?


04 Mar 2014   #1
Satagu

Windows7
 
 
External USB 3.0 Hub behave normally or ideally with 2.0 on Win7 ?

I am currently using a Toshiba Satellite L535 laptop that comes with built in USB 2.0 ports. It runs Window 7 OS. From my understanding, a USB 2.0 port can provide a maximum of 2.5W Power Output (5V x 500mA) and a USB 3.0 port can provide a maximum of 4.5W Power Output (5V x 900mA). Please tell me if I have a wrong cognition.

I am thinking of purchasing an external USB 3.0 hub and connect to my existing USB 2.0 port on my laptop. But after connecting the hub to my current USB 2.0 port, I wonder if the ports on the hub perform ideally as an USB 3.0 port by providing a maximum of 4.5W Power Output. I chose a used brand as a keyword to search online. I conclude two choice as the followings:

Amazon.com : [10 usb3.0 Ports ] Unitek USB 3.0 Hub 10 Ports with 12v 4a Power Adapter a to B Cable Compatible with Windows Vista / Win7 (32/64-bit) and Mac Os 9.x or Latest Version : Usb Network Adapters : Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com : Unitek 8 Port USB 3.0 Hub (6 Usb3.0 Ports + TWO 5v 2a Ipad Charging Port) with 12v 4a Power Adapter and Usb 3.0 Cable, Via Vl812 Chipset, Support Windows Xp / Vista / 7 / 8, Mac Os X 10.8.4, Linux : Network Hubs : Computers & Accessories

If I prefer the gadget with more ports( like the first ),i wonder if there is any limit for the number of the devices? Or the less the better? If I prefer a one ( like the second )to charge my Apple gadgets at the same time, could it be possible and smooth ?

Please advise as you wish.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Mar 2014   #2
Nigsy

openSUSE 13.1 64bit
 
 

I really don't know...but common sense says if the maximum a USB 2 hub can supply is 5v @500ma then that's all it's going to power the USB 3 devices with.

You are also going to be restricted to USB2 transfer speeds.

I have seen advertised internal cards for laptops that would give you a USB3 connection; you could then add the USB 3 hub to that.

Something like this:

Amazon.com : IOGEAR SuperSpeed USB 3.0 ExpressCard GEU302 (Black/Silver) : Computer Usb Port Cards : Electronics
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2014   #3
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Satagu View Post
.....
If I prefer the gadget with more ports( like the first ),i wonder if there is any limit for the number of the devices? Or the less the better?

If I prefer a one ( like the second )to charge my Apple gadgets at the same time, could it be possible and smooth ?
.....
There is a limit... 10

Both hubs come with power adapters and should provide sufficient power for attached devices.
The internal USB hubs power devices attached to those ports and the external hub, with adapter, power devices attached to the hub. If you don't use the power adapter, then the internal USB port supplies the power (but you wouldn't want to do that)

Your laptop only has USB 2.0 ports so you might save some money with a powered external USB 2.0 hub.
Both of the hubs you listed seem like a good choice, it depends on how you want to use them. The real advantage to the 2nd hub is the fast charging - so if that's important to you, get something with that feature. Any port will charge your devices though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Mar 2014   #4
Satagu

Windows7
 
 

[QUOTE ;.....Something like this: Amazon.com : IOGEAR SuperSpeed USB 3.0 ExpressCard GEU302 (Black/Silver) : Computer Usb Port Cards : Electronics[/QUOTE]

This one seems to need other driver software to help itself working well. Am I right? I indeed have been bothered a lot by the driver issues.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2014   #5
madcratebuilder

Win8/8.1,Win7-U64, Vista U64, uncounted Linux distor's
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Satagu View Post
This one seems to need other driver software to help itself working well. Am I right? I indeed have been bothered a lot by the driver issues.[/QUOTE]

Any usb 3.0 device you attach with the express card slot is going to require drivers. The IOG card you linked looks like it provides 900Ma. If you want higher output for charging then something like this Anker USB 3.0 7-Port Hub should do it, it still needs the usb 3 drivers.

What is the goal? Fast charging or fast file transfer?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2014   #6
Satagu

Windows7
 
 

I am not going to choose an Express Card even thought I admit it need drivers to get running.In fact,what I need is not some recommendation which I can search out a lot on Web. I prefer to listen some technical analysis.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2014   #7
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

You'll need to answer the "What are your priorities - fast charge, more ports, fast transfer" question before anyone can really offer sound advice.

Until you identify your needs, members will offer recommendations based on incomplete information.

I'll unsubscribe from this thread since I've offered what little information I could offer.

Bill
.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2014   #8
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Anything up the 4 usb ports, i'll choose it with power adapter and why not USB.30 backward compatible with USB 2.0 / 1.1 (quite common nowadays) as it could be use at its full speed usb 3.0 whenever you change your laptop. Like the Anker® USB 3.0 7-Port Hub mentionned, though!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2014   #9
jimbo45

W7 X-64 W8.1 X-64 Opensuse 13.1 W2003 Server
 
 

Hi there
remember that adding a pcie USB3 card to an older mobo won't necessarily give you true USB3 speed either -- the maximum transfer will be limited by the slow pcie bus transfer speed.

Check the specs of the mobo before adding a USB3 card.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2014   #10
madcratebuilder

Win8/8.1,Win7-U64, Vista U64, uncounted Linux distor's
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Satagu View Post
I am currently using a Toshiba Satellite L535 laptop that comes with built in USB 2.0 ports. It runs Window 7 OS. From my understanding, a USB 2.0 port can provide a maximum of 2.5W Power Output (5V x 500mA) and a USB 3.0 port can provide a maximum of 4.5W Power Output (5V x 900mA). Please tell me if I have a wrong cognition.
Some usb3 ports can provide higher amperage, specifically "Charging ports", these need a external power supply as does any usb3 hub to operate orrectly.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Satagu View Post
I am thinking of purchasing an external USB 3.0 hub and connect to my existing USB 2.0 port on my laptop. But after connecting the hub to my current USB 2.0 port, I wonder if the ports on the hub perform ideally as an USB 3.0 port by providing a maximum of 4.5W Power Output. I chose a used brand as a keyword to search online. I conclude two choice as the followings:

Amazon.com : [10 usb3.0 Ports ] Unitek USB 3.0 Hub 10 Ports with 12v 4a Power Adapter a to B Cable Compatible with Windows Vista / Win7 (32/64-bit) and Mac Os 9.x or Latest Version : Usb Network Adapters : Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com : Unitek 8 Port USB 3.0 Hub (6 Usb3.0 Ports + TWO 5v 2a Ipad Charging Port) with 12v 4a Power Adapter and Usb 3.0 Cable, Via Vl812 Chipset, Support Windows Xp / Vista / 7 / 8, Mac Os X 10.8.4, Linux : Network Hubs : Computers & Accessories

If I prefer the gadget with more ports( like the first ),i wonder if there is any limit for the number of the devices? Or the less the better? If I prefer a one ( like the second )to charge my Apple gadgets at the same time, could it be possible and smooth ?

Please advise as you wish.
The number of ports is effected by the amperage of the hub power supply. A unpowered hub may run 2-3 ports and powered hubs have a theoretical limit of 256. I have a 49 port hub and 8 10 port hubs in my btc mine. I can recommend Rosewill hubs. To add usb3 to your LT you well need a card adaptor.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 External USB 3.0 Hub behave normally or ideally with 2.0 on Win7 ?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: External USB 3.0 Hub behave normally or ideally with 2.0 on Win7 ?
Thread Forum
External USB 3.0 Hub ,can it behave normally or ideally? Hardware & Devices
How many processes should ideally be running? Performance & Maintenance
Internet based shared calendar, ideally on Google, like a public folde Microsoft Office
How can I make Win7's Windows Explorer behave like it did in WinXP? Customization

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App