I have had fun with my Belkin adapter before (including the intermittent connection issue). After removing my PSU and other bits to play with my new Carputer, I reconnected it all and couldn't get Belkin stick to recognise any networks after re-install. After trying all of the above and extensive googling, I solved the problem as follows - apologies if I have paraphrased the process somewhat, but going off what I can remember and I think most of us have some clue about computers, being on this forum!:
(mine is a V4 adapter, but may well work for others) DO NOT USE THE COMBINED DRIVER APP OFF THE BELKIN SITE - USE THE BELKIN 'DRIVER ONLY' VERSION BELOW
This worked when all else failed!
1) Remove and previous installations by running old installer, which will uninstall if currently installed, or removing via Control panel
2) Download the driver only
.exe package from: Belkin : Support F5D7050 Wireless G USB Adapter - Driver Only Packages
3) Remove wifi adapter from usb port and Reboot computer
4) Once back in Windows 7, plug in adapter - installation should fail
5) Go into device manager and find adapter - should come up as something like 'USB 2.0 Adapter' with a yellow exclamation mark
6) Right click and go to Update drivers
7) Choose to Browse manually and point it at the installation directory (default is c:\Belkin\F5D7050v4 I think)
8) Once installed, should change network systray icon to orange 'Networks available' icon
9) Double click, select your router/access point and enter your wep/wpa etc key
10) Voila - reconnected!
I'm soooo happy as this has taken me 2 hours of furious laptop searching, with Internet stone dead on PC and trying everything, to get it to work... Hope it helps someone! P.S. If you have any of the same hardware as me and are having problems with it, please contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org as I may be able to help - I have troubleshooted most issues over the past couple of years!