Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What Drivers to install ?

09 Sep 2014   #21
Berton

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Mac OS X 10.10, Linux Mint 17, Windows 10 Pro TP
 
 

I find it important that the first motherboard driver to install is for the chipset and I follow that with the Ethernet/Network Adapter so I can get on the Internet to find and download any other drivers I need if I don't already have them.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Sep 2014   #22
MicrosoftSlave

windows 7 home premium 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Berton View Post
I find it important that the first motherboard driver to install is for the chipset and I follow that with the Ethernet/Network Adapter so I can get on the Internet to find and download any other drivers I need if I don't already have them.

I can connect wireless with win7 but with xp I have no chance and I would prefair to run win7 but if its a must I will downgrade
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2014   #23
gregrocker

 

Is this a retail copy of Win7? Are you using the key that came with it and is printed on the packaging? Does it say Home Premium on it?

Why is it you cannot follow Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 like a million others have who enjoy a perfect install? The steps for drivers are printed in red so you can't miss them! Do you have any questions on how to perform a step ?

Use only the drivers provided by Windows Update after enabling hardware updating. Can I be any more clear about this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Sep 2014   #24
MicrosoftSlave

windows 7 home premium 32 bit
 
 

OK I will follow factory oem win7 also this is a retail copy of win7 I am printing the product key that comes on the card on the inside of the case is this the right one ? I will follow instructions and come back if I have anymore problems thanks for the help and your time gregrocker much appreciated just hope I dont have to come back to piss people of again haha
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2014   #25
gregrocker

 

No worries. The key on card will always work on same version if Inputted correctly.

Steps are same for retail.

Let us know how it goes. Once all Updates are done we can help find any drivers still missing in Device Manager if you have probs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2014   #26
MicrosoftSlave

windows 7 home premium 32 bit
 
 

OK guys I have run into a problem when downloading WUD I am on 32bit but there is no option
what do I do here


Attached Images
What Drivers to install ?-capture.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2014   #27
BadPointer

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

You can try using Snappy Driver Installer. Download all needed driverpacks beforehand(up to 7 GB) so that it will be able to find and install the correct driver without Internet connection.

If for some reason it doesn't help, you can post its logs so that I could assist you further.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2014   #28
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MicrosoftSlave View Post
OK guys I have run into a problem when downloading WUD I am on 32bit but there is no option
what do I do here
x86 = 32Bit
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2014   #29
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BadPointer View Post
You can try using Snappy Driver Installer. Download all needed driverpacks beforehand(up to 7 GB) so that it will be able to find and install the correct driver without Internet connection.

If for some reason it doesn't help, you can post its logs so that I could assist you further.
Why would you do that with a driver-complete OS? This is not XP. Windows provides almost all drivers via installer and Updates. The others are easy to find or just ask back here.

I can't believe we are still discussing this 5 years later and a year after Windows 8 which has no user participation with driver install - using advancements developed in Win7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2014   #30
BadPointer

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BadPointer View Post
You can try using Snappy Driver Installer. Download all needed driverpacks beforehand(up to 7 GB) so that it will be able to find and install the correct driver without Internet connection.

If for some reason it doesn't help, you can post its logs so that I could assist you further.
Why would you do that with a driver-complete OS? This is not XP. Windows provides almost all drivers via installer and Updates. The others are easy to find or just ask back here.

I can't believe we are still discussing this 5 years later and a year after Windows 8 which has no user participation with driver install - using advancements developed in Win7.
Because Windows 7/8 is still not driver complete and it relies on Internet connection which may be unavailable, down, slow, have traffic limits, forbidden due to security considerations on restricted areas and etc. Some drivers aren't available via Windows updates anyway and the ones which are available are often out of date. It's true that you don't have to have latest drivers but it's nice to have the option.

When Windows fails to find the compatible drivers, you're forced to go to the manufacturer website. If the motherboard is quite old, the manufacturer might have long abandoned it and stopped updating the download section forcing you to go hunt down a compatible driver from newer models of the same maker or go looking for the driver on chipset manufacturers(Realtek, Atheros, etc) websites.

While Windows 7 does have fewer problems with drivers than XP, they do happen like in this case and I suggested the tool which can deal with it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What Drivers to install ?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How to install device drivers during Windows7 install
During the installation process of W7 it is possible to load drivers, e.g. the downloaded SATA, LAN and Graphics drivers for a specific motherboard (MoBo ASUS P7P55D). However, these files are compressed zip files and Unzipping delivers a set of folders with in each a number of files. Which are...
Hardware & Devices
Cannot install driver / drivers missing on new install win7 ultimate
Hello, this is my first post on the forum, and I hope you can help me. I have recently been given an HP 6465b probook. It had been dropped and the hard drive had failed. I installed a new hdd and got a copy of Windows 7 ultimate x64. The install went well until I discovered I couldn't connect to...
Drivers
After fresh install, trying to install device drivers
I absolutely killed Windows 7 today. I don't know what I did, but nobody else uses the computer so.....:o I installed Windows 7 (dvd) and everything went smoothly. But there are no device drivers installed and I don't know where to get them or how to install them. I mean I am totally blank...
Installation & Setup
Drivers - Install Vista Drivers on Windows 7
How to Install Vista Drivers on Windows 7 Often, especially on 64 bit systems, Windows 7 will not install Vista drivers correctly first time, due to it not reporting itself properly. You end up with XP drivers that don't work. This tutorial will show you how to fix that. When the Drivers...
Tutorials
IDT Audio Drivers Won't Install - Win7x64, clean install
Hi all, I'm working on a re-install of all components following a complete corruption of the boot sector on my drive which could not be fixed with repairs. The last time I installed everything fresh, I had no issues. Between then and now, there have been no hardware changes on my system, but now...
Sound & Audio
How to install drivers?
Hi, I have lots of zip files with drivers I need for a netbook upgrade to Windows 7. How do I install these? Is it just follow the wizard or should I copy over the existing file? Sorry if this is a very basic question - just want to be 100% sure thanks
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App