I found the most concise solution here
by Theodossiou. For expediency I will repost:
It took me a while to make it work. Below I provide a detailed step by step approach to istalling the drivers
and software for the CanoScan LiDE 35, in a Windows 7 (64 bit) environment.
1. Download the drivers and software for CanoScan Lide 60 and Windows 7 (x64). Use the http below: Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : CanoScan LiDE 60
file is: lide60vst6411111a_64en.exe
The software file is: cstbwin4932en.exe
2. Run (double click) the file: lide60vst6411111a_64en.exe
3. Connect the CanoScan Lide 60 on one of your PC’s USB ports
4. Click on the 1) Start button, 2) Control Panel and 3) Device Manager
5. Double click on the icon CanoScan under Other Devices and choose Update Driver
6. Choose Browse my Computer for Driver Software
7. Proceed with the option Let me Pick from a List of Devise Drivers on my Computer
8. Click on 1) Imaging Devises and then 2) Canon Inc.
9. Select 1) CanoScan Lite 60, 2) Next and press 3) Yes
10. Wait for a while until the installation is completed (the relevant message will appear on the screen)
11. Install the software for the scanner (double click on the file cstbwin4932en.exe and follow the install menu)
12. In your programs directory, choose Canon and the Canon Toolbox 4.9
In the CanoScan Toolbox some buttons like "Copy" and "Mail" will work on their own, but others like "Scan" or "PDF" will still want you to point to an external program.
For this, I was still able to install the ArcSoft PhotoStudio 5.5 that came on the original Lide 35 CD under Windows 7 64bit just fine. Then for those toolbox buttons just specify this as the external program.