Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Audio volume very low after installing Realtek driver

05 Apr 2015   #1
cwaters

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 w/SP1
 
 
Audio volume very low after installing Realtek driver

Earlier today, Windows Update prompted me to install two items: KB3035583 (recommended) and "Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Audio Device, Other hardware - Realtek High Definition Audio" (optional). I installed both items.

After rebooting, the audio coming from my speakers could barely be heard. Changing the Windows 7 speaker icon (on the taskbar) to 100% didn't help much. The Volume Mixer applet lists the speaker icon and application icons at 100%. The Sound applet lists the speakers properties' levels at 100%. My speakers are set at their normal level; i.e., unchanged. I notice a red speaker icon on the taskbar which wasn't there before; presumably, the Realtek installation added this.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? I'm not sure if there was any Realtek software present on my system beforehand--so I'm not sure if this software is new (to my PC) or an update. The detail dialog box for the Realtek software says it was released in December 2014; this is the first I've seen it.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Apr 2015   #2
hayquemorir

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Hi. The same issue here. Trying to uninstall the update but i do not know how to do that !!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2015   #3
Chris2005

Windows 10 Home x64
 
 

You should be able to find it here:

Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Installed Updates
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Apr 2015   #4
hayquemorir

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

NOP. I had tried that before...but only update for Windows appears, not drivers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2015   #5
Chris2005

Windows 10 Home x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hayquemorir View Post
NOP. I had tried that before...but only update for Windows appears, not drivers.
Do you remember what driver version you had prior to the update?

You should be able to download it and replace the updated drivers.

Also, you haven't touched your speaker's volume dial or anything?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2015   #6
fireberd

Windows 10 64 bit
 
 

You can go to the Device Manager, and Display the Properties for the RealTek. In the Driver tab section there is an option to Rollback the driver. That should restore your original version.

The R2.75 driver (latest version) listed on the Realtek site was issued 5/2014 so there is no newer version. If you download this version, the first thing it will do is uninstall the current version, require a PC restart and then install the R2.75 version. That is what I'm using on all my Win7/8.1 systems with Realtek.

Realtek
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2015   #7
Chris2005

Windows 10 Home x64
 
 

I myself had an optional Windows update just earlier called:

Quote:
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Audio Device, Other hardware - Realtek High Definition Audio

Installation date: ‎4/‎6/‎2015 5:23 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Optional

Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Audio Device, Other hardware software update released in December, 2014

More information:
Information about hardware device drivers for Windows XP

Help and Support:
Product Solution Centers
My audio driver version is now 6.0.1.7404.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2015   #8
fireberd

Windows 10 64 bit
 
 

That is later than the one on the Realtek site. Mine is 7246 as listed on my ASRock motherboard.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2015   #9
cwaters

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 w/SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fireberd View Post
You can go to the Device Manager, and Display the Properties for the RealTek. In the Driver tab section there is an option to Rollback the driver. That should restore your original version.

The R2.75 driver (latest version) listed on the Realtek site was issued 5/2014 so there is no newer version. If you download this version, the first thing it will do is uninstall the current version, require a PC restart and then install the R2.75 version. That is what I'm using on all my Win7/8.1 systems with Realtek.

Realtek
Thanks. My current driver version is 6.0.1.7404, 12/10/2014. When I pressed the Roll Back Driver button, the driver reverted (?) to version 6.1.7601.17514, 11/19/2010. After reboot, the volume is back to normal. Also, the red speaker icon is no longer present in the system tray.

The driver I've rolled back to is more than four years old. Should I download and install the R2.75 version?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2015   #10
Chris2005

Windows 10 Home x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cwaters View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fireberd View Post
You can go to the Device Manager, and Display the Properties for the RealTek. In the Driver tab section there is an option to Rollback the driver. That should restore your original version.

The R2.75 driver (latest version) listed on the Realtek site was issued 5/2014 so there is no newer version. If you download this version, the first thing it will do is uninstall the current version, require a PC restart and then install the R2.75 version. That is what I'm using on all my Win7/8.1 systems with Realtek.

Realtek
Thanks. My current driver version is 6.0.1.7404, 12/10/2014. When I pressed the Roll Back Driver button, the driver reverted (?) to version 6.1.7601.17514, 11/19/2010. After reboot, the volume is back to normal. Also, the red speaker icon is no longer present in the system tray.

The driver I've rolled back to is more than four years old. Should I download and install the R2.75 version?
The same driver you uninstalled is the driver I now use, but I never noticed any volume difference...

I have a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 rev. 4.0 motherboard.

I guess the driver for the rollback was the basic Windows driver, given the 7601, which is Windows 7 with Service Pack 1.

You could try the latest driver version offered by Realtek.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Audio volume very low after installing Realtek driver




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Difference between Realtek HD Audio Manager & Realtek HD Audio Driver
It's been a year since I migrated from Windows XP to Windows 7 which I downloaded Realtek HD Audio Manager R2.70 and audio has been working fine except the only issue it didn't come with 'Stereo Mix' preventing capability to record sound direct from the soundcard. It took me 14 months to restore...
Sound & Audio
Realtek HD Audio Very low Volume and Variable
Hi, Having a bit of an issue configuring my Realtek Audio Drivers on my computer. Originally I had a setup using an external audio interface (Desktop Konnekt 6), but I recently split my system apart so I have to start using the onboard audio on this computer once again. Originally I had the...
Sound & Audio
BSOD installing Realtek Audio driver
Hi all, Just had a BSOD in Windows 8 while installing the latest Realtek drivers. Can someone check my log? Thank-you :)
BSOD Help and Support
Problems installing Realtek HD audio driver
Hey, I'm new to all of this drivers and such... I am currently running a Sony VAIO (VPCEJ190X) with Windows 7 Professional x64. The audio driver came as Conexant SmartAudio HD and I'd really like to get the Realtek HD Audio Driver. Here is what I've done. Downloaded and installed (w/...
Drivers
Realtek HD Audio volume
After i connected my speakers to my laptop(they were connected before to my computer) i have noticed a small difference in volume. On my laptop the volume is lower than on pc and i guess is because of the sound card and driver but i have everything at 100% . Could this difference of volume be from...
Sound & Audio
ASUS/Realtek, Latest Realtek versus default W7 Audio driver
I installed the Realtek HD audio driver from the ASUS download site (P8Z68-V Pro MB) and all was well until I installed an MSI 560TI video card and let it install the Nvidia HD Audio drivers. The problem I have been chasing ever since was the Realtek HD Audio Manager popping up after the system...
Sound & Audio


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App