I followed an xp solution guide, and went in and deleted all the drivers
, as well as clearing that section of the registry. I didn't have any negative side effects, but I'm still having the problem, so unless I didn't get rid of everything, that isn't the issue.
It's strange, since I didn't start having the problem at install (I did a clean install on a second partition), but after a month or two of use. It seemed to coincide with one of the latest Windows Updates, but I don't see how that could be an issue, since those updates, at this point, only download and replace system files with copies of the same file. I think it could've had to do with downloaded software, though. I recently downloaded adobe reader 9, along with adobe AIR. I'm going to try to uninstall those and see what happens.