Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Getting your Nikon Coolscan to work on W7 x64

29 Oct 2012   #381
Bachus

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post

However, to be clear, you can check the properties by right clicking on the item and clicking Properties and you'll get something like this. It'll tell you if the item is working properly or not...

With that said I need to know if you have tried the other ports??? If the other ports aren't working as well that says there's a problem with the system, scanner, or cable. Have you tried a different cable?

In this instance you need to know if ANY of the FireWire ports are working??? Not just that card.

And BTW since you have a 64-bit OS, you need to download the 64-bit version of Vuescan
I have tried all FireWire ports (three) and another FireWire cable which I have from Lacie external Hard disk (but the cable is thiner)... and scanner still is not seen in Device Manager. I will try to buy new FireWire cable and check it again. I have checked also the properties by right clicking on both controlles and I got twice info: "Device works properly". I downloaded 64-bit VueScan version.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Since we see the card in device manager, and see no reported issues, we know the card is recognized in the system (whether 32 or 64-bit) and therfore is (presumably) working.
It's not clear for me. Do you say if WireWire card is seen in Device Manager and recognized by Win 64bit and there is no reported issues there, it means simultaneously that this card is proper to work with Win7 64-bit? But we know my Ratoc FireWire card supports only 32-bit OC system, not Win7 64-bit at all. Last driver update for this card was made in 2005.

How do you reconcile it?

Second card was also bought before Win7 was on market, so probably supports only 32-bit systems.

So what really does it mean: "Device works properly" and the fact that FireWire 32-bit IEEE 1394 cards are seen in Device Manager?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Oct 2012   #382
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

I think you're confusing yourself, or not understanding what I'm saying.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bachus View Post
I have tried all FireWire ports (three) and another FireWire cable which I have from Lacie external Hard disk (but the cable is thiner)... and scanner still is not seen in Device Manager. I will try to buy new FireWire cable and check it again. I have checked also the properties by right clicking on both controlles and I got twice info: "Device works properly". I downloaded 64-bit VueScan version.
As I've said numerous times, if all the FireWIre ports are not working, then there is an issue with either the scanner, cable or PC. However since Device Manager is showing the ports to be in working order, I can only assume the cable or scanner is bad. But you can...

1 - You can check this by running Vuescan. If Vuescan doesn't see the scanner... there is an issue.

2 -The other thing you can do/try is find something that uses a FireWire connection, for example, a printer, and see if the item is seen by the computer or works. If it does, you know the FireWire ports are working and have now narrowed your problem do to either the cable, or scanner

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bachus View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Since we see the card in device manager, and see no reported issues, we know the card is recognized in the system (whether 32 or 64-bit) and therfore is (presumably) working.
It's not clear for me. Do you say if WireWire card is seen in Device Manager and recognized by Win 64bit and there is no reported issues there, it means simultaneously that this card is proper to work with Win7 64-bit?
YES!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bachus View Post
But we know my Ratoc FireWire card supports only 32-bit OC system, not Win7 64-bit at all. Last driver update for this card was made in 2005.

How do you reconcile it?

So what really does it mean: "Device works properly" and the fact that FireWire 32-bit IEEE 1394 cards are seen in Device Manager
Because Windows has found a generic 64-bit driver for it which allows it to work under Windows 7 x64. If it didn't you would have that exclaimation mark I was asking about.

You also told me you checked the properties page and the items were working properly...
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bachus View Post
I have checked also the properties by right clicking on both controlles and I got twice info: "Device works properly".
Bottom line is device manage sees the ports and say they work. If you don't trust that, you can find a FireWire device that you KNOW works and try it on those ports as suggested above.

Do that and you'll know for sure if those ports work or not and you can move from there. I'm fairly certain they work (provided the info you gave me is correct).

Good luck.


As a side note, 32-bit programs can and do work under a 64-bit OS. This is called WoW64 (Windows 32 on Windows 64). However drivers are usually a different matter. However you don't need to worry about that because Windows will let you know if there is an issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2012   #383
Bachus

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
I think you're confusing yourself, or not understanding what I'm saying.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bachus View Post
I have tried all FireWire ports (three) and another FireWire cable which I have from Lacie external Hard disk (but the cable is thiner)... and scanner still is not seen in Device Manager. I will try to buy new FireWire cable and check it again. I have checked also the properties by right clicking on both controlles and I got twice info: "Device works properly". I downloaded 64-bit VueScan version.
As I've said numerous times, if all the FireWIre ports are not working, then there is an issue with either the scanner, cable or PC. However since Device Manager is showing the ports to be in working order, I can only assume the cable or scanner is bad. But you can...

1 - You can check this by running Vuescan. If Vuescan doesn't see the scanner... there is an issue.

2 -The other thing you can do/try is find something that uses a FireWire connection, for example, a printer, and see if the item is seen by the computer or works. If it does, you know the FireWire ports are working and have now narrowed your problem do to either the cable, or scanner

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bachus View Post


It's not clear for me. Do you say if WireWire card is seen in Device Manager and recognized by Win 64bit and there is no reported issues there, it means simultaneously that this card is proper to work with Win7 64-bit?
YES!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bachus View Post
But we know my Ratoc FireWire card supports only 32-bit OC system, not Win7 64-bit at all. Last driver update for this card was made in 2005.

How do you reconcile it?

So what really does it mean: "Device works properly" and the fact that FireWire 32-bit IEEE 1394 cards are seen in Device Manager
Because Windows has found a generic 64-bit driver for it which allows it to work under Windows 7 x64. If it didn't you would have that exclaimation mark I was asking about.

You also told me you checked the properties page and the items were working properly...
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bachus View Post
I have checked also the properties by right clicking on both controlles and I got twice info: "Device works properly".
Bottom line is device manage sees the ports and say they work. If you don't trust that, you can find a FireWire device that you KNOW works and try it on those ports as suggested above.

Do that and you'll know for sure if those ports work or not and you can move from there. I'm fairly certain they work (provided the info you gave me is correct).

Good luck.


As a side note, 32-bit programs can and do work under a 64-bit OS. This is called WoW64 (Windows 32 on Windows 64). However drivers are usually a different matter. However you don't need to worry about that because Windows will let you know if there is an issue.
Ok, it's clear now all your explanations for me.
I am sure the scanner is working, I saw it, and it was connected with the FireWire card and cable I got (under XP 32bit and Nikon Scan). If the cable and card work, if the scanner works, than the issue has to be with wrong VueScan instalation or with my Windows system. But everything with my Win7 64-bit seems work fine, my scanner Epson 4990 work great, my external Lacie hard disc and 3 internal hard disks works too with no problem. So, maybe I din not instaled properly VueScan software with driver 64-bit.

What I will do now is:

1. I will instal again VueScan software and will open it.
I understand that the driver is instaled autamaticly and I do not need to do any more certain actions? Do you know how/where I can check in the system if VueScan 64-bit driver has been instaled and is ready to work?

2. I will buy a new FireWire Cable (with 6 pins)

3. Because I have already ordered new interface FireWire 1394 card, next I will instal it too.

If all this do not help:

I will try to find a person where I live who owns LS-8000ED scanner that works under Win7 64-bit who would agree to connect my scanner (with my cable and card) with his PC.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Oct 2012   #384
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bachus View Post
my scanner Epson 4990 work great, my external Lacie hard disc and 3 internal hard disks works too with no problem. So, maybe I din not instaled properly VueScan software with driver 64-bit.
What does this have to do with the FireWire test? If these are USB items it's not answering the FireWire question.

Please carefully re-read what I've posted and you'll see you don't need to buy a FireWire card if your system has them and they are working. I can't help you if you don't listen or follow instructions.


Help me help you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2012   #385
Bachus

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I have ordered new FireWire 64-bit card before I asked you here for help, when it arrives I just want to try it.

Before VueScan I had instaled Nikon Scan first but uninstaled it as VueScan advises. How can I check if VueScan 64-bit driver is instaled?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2012   #386
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bachus View Post
I have ordered new FireWire 64-bit card before I asked you here for help, when it arrives I just want to try it.

Before VueScan I had instaled Nikon Scan first but uninstaled it as VueScan advises. How can I check if VueScan 64-bit driver is instaled?
Sir I'm not sure you're listening to me or understanding what I'm saying to you because I've told you before, just install Vuescan and see if the scanner is working then let me know. You keep getting concerned with things that has nothing to do with trying to fix your issue.

But, to answer you question, the driver WILL install with the program (Vuescan). If the program isntalls, the driver installs. And the easiest way to see the driver is if the scanner is working...

Getting your Nikon Coolscan to work on W7 x64-firewire-scanner-properties.jpg

The FireWire Scanner is my Nikon Coolscan 4000. The Hamrick software driver is the Vuescan software. However if the scanner isn't working or Windows doesn't see the scanner, you won't see this (the driver). So just install Vuescan and see if the scanner work. If Vuescan doesn't work then. There is a problem! And if you've done what I've been saying, you can figure out which item is bad. That said you've not answered this question...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bachus View Post
my scanner Epson 4990 work great, my external Lacie hard disc and 3 internal hard disks works too with no problem. So, maybe I din not instaled properly VueScan software with driver 64-bit.
What does this have to do with the FireWire test? If these are USB items it's not answering the FireWire question.
At this point in time I can not help you further until you answer that question, which means determining if the ports physically work by trying another FireWire device. Buying another card has nothing to do with testing those ports.

Please re-read my posts so we can help each other fix your issue.

You also might want to look at this post here to make sure you have the right cable - Getting your Nikon Coolscan to work on W7 x64

Thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2012   #387
Bachus

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Sygnus,

This all situation confused me so much that I am almost frustrated, you can get an imppresion I do not listen to what you say but I follow your suggestions. Sorry for that.

The only another FireWire device I have is external hard disc drive LACIE, which has a few different kind of ports - usually I have it connected with eSata port and cable. When I connected it first time with FireWire cable and ports, Windows showed information it can't find a driver... but what surprised me is hard disk worked and I was able to open all stored data were saved on the hard disk. Anyway, my Lacie drive works with FireWire ports. I do not remember if I checked out all ports of both FireWire cards (Ratoc and VIA) with Lacie, I will check them all tonight when I am back home.

Instaled VueScan is not seen in Device Manager, I do not see at all Imaging Devices folder.

My FireWire cable is 6PIN on both sides, seems ok. But I will have probably today another one for checking.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2012   #388
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bachus View Post
Instaled VueScan is not seen in Device Manager, I do not see at all Imaging Devices folder.
Do yourself a favor and leave Device Manager alone!!!

Now go back and re-read what I said about the scanner and device manager. And to be clear... Vuescan has nothing to do with firewire or usb ports. It ONLY installs the driver for the scanner. So, again, leave Device Manager alone.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bachus View Post
When I connected it first time with FireWire cable and ports, Windows showed information it can't find a driver... but what surprised me is hard disk worked and I was able to open all stored data were saved on the hard disk. Anyway, my Lacie drive works with FireWire ports.
This tells me the FireWire port is working. Now, I need you to follow these instructions and let me know...

1- Install Vuescan if not already installed

2- Connect the Scanner to the port that you checked your LaCie drive on.

3- Make sure the power cord is plugged in and turn scanner on; wait 30 about seconds

4- Open Vuescan and see if the scanner is seen. If it is, it will show the model number under Source....
Getting your Nikon Coolscan to work on W7 x64-vuescan-image.jpg

and that means the scanner works, the FireWire ports work, and the problem is something you missed in my instructions for getting the Nikon software to work.

However...

5- If the scanner isn't seen, try a different port until you find one that sees the scanner.

6- Does Vuescan see the scanner - Yes or No?

Let me know. Do not worry about Device Manager!!!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2012   #389
Bachus

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post

This tells me the FireWire port is working. Now, I need you to follow these instructions and let me know...

1- Install Vuescan if not already installed

2- Connect the Scanner to the port that you checked your LaCie drive on.

3- Make sure the power cord is plugged in and turn scanner on; wait 30 about seconds

4- Open Vuescan and see if the scanner is seen. If it is, it will show the model number under Source....
Attachment 239325

and that means the scanner works, the FireWire ports work, and the problem is something you missed in my instructions for getting the Nikon software to work.

However...

5- If the scanner isn't seen, try a different port until you find one that sees the scanner.

6- Does Vuescan see the scanner - Yes or No?

Let me know. Do not worry about Device Manager!!!
Unfortunatly, VueScan does not see the scanner with all ports.

I checked out all ports with Lacie and FireWire and all works - I have access to all storaged informations.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2012   #390
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Then if the FireWire ports work, you really need to look at either the scanner of cable. We (you) now Know the FireWire ports work... your LaCie proves it. So that isn't the issue.

That said, have you tried another cable?

Also, just to double check, since you keep saying the scanner worked someplace else, have you made sure the power cord was properly seated and plugged into a working power outlet? You can check the scanner is getting power by checking the LED light on the front of the scanner.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Getting your Nikon Coolscan to work on W7 x64




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Nikon D70 - CF Card issue when hooking up to PC
Hey guys, A bit weird this one. I've been shooting some images, earlier in the week no problem with the card and transferring to the computer with the USB cable... but today windows is asking me to format the card as it's not recognised. I'm trying out some data recovery software but it's...
Music, Pictures & Video
Nikon Coolscan 5000 scanner
Has anyone tried to run this scanner under Windows 7 64 bit? The Nikon website was unclear as to whether it is compatible. Windows Compatability center lists it as compatible.
Drivers
Windows 7 32bit/Nikon scanner issues
Still can't get my Windows 7 32bit system to operate w/ Nikon Coolscan 4000 ed. I tried advice from other postings by downloading/installing Vista 32 bit driver plus a scanner.info file. I first downloaded to a flash drive and then tried installing them using the wizard. Both are on my desktop,...
Hardware & Devices
Multiple Nikon Coolscanners on one machine
Hey, i need to know if its possible to use multiple scanners on one PC?, every time i try to open multiple copies of its software i get a message saying the driver is currently in use, or the software is currently open. thanks.
Drivers
Nikon Coolscan W7 32 bit
I have a Nikon Coolscan IV ED film scanner and the Nikon site informs that the scan is not supported under W7. Any standard ways to use this scanner with W7?
Hardware & Devices
Nikon Coolscan III and 64 bit W7
Is this possible? The Coolscan has a 50 pin SCSI-1 cable. I can't seem to find a SCSI card that will run on a 64-bit system and also take that plug. They all take Ultra 50 pin. Currently installed is the Adaptec AHA-2940 PCI, which I was using on the x86 XP system installed prior to the upgrade...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App