Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Getting your Nikon Coolscan to work on W7 x64

10 Dec 2012   #411
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dcx View Post
Perhaps we should have some more ideas to ask to Steel Chn? He indicates recently on his thread (nov 12) that he has made successfull tests on W 8 (but I dont know the model of scanner; and he had necessarly to modify its .inf file).
Please provide the link to the page or area you're talking about?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Dec 2012   #412
dcx

Windows 8 x64
 
 

Excuse me. I supposed this thread was well-known.

It is :
Unoffical Vista X64 driver of LS-8000ED/9000ED for Nikon Scan 4.03 - Photo.net Digital Darkroom Forum
http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-fo...Ryck?start=120
but you have to go to the last page (ie 13), the last messages. There's also interesting informations in previous pages.

Some say it works (Dylan Lysoway, Steel Chn before the nov,14) on W8, and others says not (among them Steel Chn, the nov,15, but il let hear us that it is in a first step).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2012   #413
irqthecat

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

I haven't gone through all the pages, but has anyone tried Vuescan by Hamrick. Lists the CoolScan as supported. Works with many other older, and newer, scanners.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Dec 2012   #414
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 
The Purpose

If you at least read the first page you'd see that this thread is solely about getting the Nikon Software to work under Windows 7 without the use of Vuescan

That said, I've already advised those running Windows 8 to try the latest trial version of Vuescan to see if it works under Windows 8. At least until I can definitively determine if the Nikon Software will, or will not work under Windows 8.

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2012   #415
JustLucky

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I can't add any more at this stage dcx but will attempt to interface my 5000 ED next week or when I get the time. The "Advanced Startup / Restart Now" process is as stated in that link in my first post, at least for the En version of Win 8.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2012   #416
jvahsholtz

Windows 8 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JustLucky View Post
Came across the same issue with drivers in Win8 as dcx but there is an easy solution.

1. Mouse over the lower-left (edit:I think that should be the lower-right) corner, then select Settings.

2. Select Change PC Settings.

3. Choose General.

4. Scroll to the bottom and select Restart now under the Advanced startup area.

5. Select Troubleshoot.

6. Select Advanced Options.

7. Select Startup Options.

8. Select Restart.

Now Device Driver Signing should be disabled, allowing you to install any driver you like in Windows 8 until you reboot.

Solution is from:Windows 8: Disable Device Driver Signing

I also want to get my Coolscan scanner working with Windows 8 and have yet to attempt it. However, getting my wife's computer upgraded from Win7 to Win 8 is just about finished and it has been pretty easy. I like Win8!
Thank you for this info! I had run into the device driver signing issue and thought I was hosed. I followed your (very clear) instructions about how to disable the device driver signing and now my Nikon scanner is working great in Windows 8 64-bit. You made my day!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2012   #417
JustLucky

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jvahsholtz View Post
Thank you for this info! I had run into the device driver signing issue and thought I was hosed. I followed your (very clear) instructions about how to disable the device driver signing and now my Nikon scanner is working great in Windows 8 64-bit. You made my day!
Glad to help.

Did you get the Nikon scanner working with Nikon Scan under Windows 8 64 bit? It would be helpful to many others if you could detail your successful method and the driver you used.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2012   #418
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jvahsholtz View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JustLucky View Post
Came across the same issue with drivers in Win8 as dcx but there is an easy solution.

1. Mouse over the lower-left (edit:I think that should be the lower-right) corner, then select Settings.

2. Select Change PC Settings.

3. Choose General.

4. Scroll to the bottom and select Restart now under the Advanced startup area.

5. Select Troubleshoot.

6. Select Advanced Options.

7. Select Startup Options.

8. Select Restart.

Now Device Driver Signing should be disabled, allowing you to install any driver you like in Windows 8 until you reboot.

Solution is from:Windows 8: Disable Device Driver Signing

I also want to get my Coolscan scanner working with Windows 8 and have yet to attempt it. However, getting my wife's computer upgraded from Win7 to Win 8 is just about finished and it has been pretty easy. I like Win8!
Thank you for this info! I had run into the device driver signing issue and thought I was hosed. I followed your (very clear) instructions about how to disable the device driver signing and now my Nikon scanner is working great in Windows 8 64-bit. You made my day!
1- Is it working with Vuescan, or....
2- Is it working with my fix

Also, you mind posting the specifics on how you got it working under Window 8?

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2012   #419
jvahsholtz

Windows 8 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JustLucky View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jvahsholtz View Post
Thank you for this info! I had run into the device driver signing issue and thought I was hosed. I followed your (very clear) instructions about how to disable the device driver signing and now my Nikon scanner is working great in Windows 8 64-bit. You made my day!
Glad to help.

Did you get the Nikon scanner working with Nikon Scan under Windows 8 64 bit? It would be helpful to many others if you could detail your successful method and the driver you used.
Yes, I'm using the 32-bit Vista Nikon Scan v4.0.3 software with 64-bit Windows 8. I just followed the steps from message #1 in this thread, posted by sygnus21. When I got to the last step in his instructions (step #9), where the driver is actually installed, I got the error telling me the driver wasn't signed. At that point, I followed your instructions on how to temporarily disable the requirement that drivers be signed. Then I tried sygnus21's step #9 again, and was able to install the driver successfully.

I haven't tried using Vuescan although I may, just to see how it compares.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2012   #420
dcx

Windows 8 x64
 
 

My Nikon LS-5000 with Slide Feeder works also properly on W8 64 in applying justlucky and jvahsholtz procedure to start without signature checks. ! I used the driver, as modified according to sygnus 21 indications (modified scanners.inf from Viescan modified by Steel Chn and others and original Nikon NKScnUSD.dll from version 4.0.3 of Nikon scan).
And furthermore, when you reboot, even without this desactivation, it still works (it seems that, once installed, the driver needs no more signature checks to be runned; in fact, you can find permanent modifications in the registry).

Great thanks to all the contributors. My previous unsuccesfull try was probably due to a wrong choice in the restart option (I have no other explaination).

In my package of NikonSan (and an other Nikon package with a coolpix camera) I had "NikonView" which 'almost' works on W8 : in this Nikon browser, the thumbnails of your pictures no longer appears ... (?); you have to perform a manual search every time you change the directory. It is not very convenient !
You can dowload from the Nikon site NikonViewNx which is free and offers the same functions (and more) and works properly. From NikonViewNx, you even are able to make a call to an external program such 'PanoramaMaker', a very usefull tool offered in previous Nikon packages (as the name shows it, it allows to make all kinds of panoramas with several pictures).

As far as the driver signature solution (no longer usefull) is concerned, I found in the Microsoft documentation that, in W8, you probably have to use some more options in building your test certificate (at least, two). Some of the necessary informations in the Microsoft documentation is spread in numerous pages of instructions; you have never a precise, clear and full view of what you need ... Error messages never explicit ...

What a lost of time due to both Microsoft and Nikon, united 'against' their customers!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Getting your Nikon Coolscan to work on W7 x64




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Nikon D70 - CF Card issue when hooking up to PC
Hey guys, A bit weird this one. I've been shooting some images, earlier in the week no problem with the card and transferring to the computer with the USB cable... but today windows is asking me to format the card as it's not recognised. I'm trying out some data recovery software but it's...
Music, Pictures & Video
Nikon Coolscan 5000 scanner
Has anyone tried to run this scanner under Windows 7 64 bit? The Nikon website was unclear as to whether it is compatible. Windows Compatability center lists it as compatible.
Drivers
Windows 7 32bit/Nikon scanner issues
Still can't get my Windows 7 32bit system to operate w/ Nikon Coolscan 4000 ed. I tried advice from other postings by downloading/installing Vista 32 bit driver plus a scanner.info file. I first downloaded to a flash drive and then tried installing them using the wizard. Both are on my desktop,...
Hardware & Devices
Multiple Nikon Coolscanners on one machine
Hey, i need to know if its possible to use multiple scanners on one PC?, every time i try to open multiple copies of its software i get a message saying the driver is currently in use, or the software is currently open. thanks.
Drivers
Nikon Coolscan W7 32 bit
I have a Nikon Coolscan IV ED film scanner and the Nikon site informs that the scan is not supported under W7. Any standard ways to use this scanner with W7?
Hardware & Devices
Nikon Coolscan III and 64 bit W7
Is this possible? The Coolscan has a 50 pin SCSI-1 cable. I can't seem to find a SCSI card that will run on a 64-bit system and also take that plug. They all take Ultra 50 pin. Currently installed is the Adaptec AHA-2940 PCI, which I was using on the x86 XP system installed prior to the upgrade...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:59.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App