When I installed Windows 7 on my HP Laptop, my Sony/Optiarc (AD-7561S ATA) DVD player stopped working.
was not missing per se; when I went to Device Manager & did diagnostics, everything checked out. However, whenever I inserted a DVD, it just sat. No playing, no menu; no DVD appeared in Windows Explorer.
I got the following help from an online chat with HP tech support. I don't have the copy of the chat, so I'm re-constructing this from memory ... but this at least should get you started. I'm sharing this for anyone out there who runs into the same issue.
- Go to Control Panel
- Choose HARDWARE & SOUND
- Choose DEVICE MANAGER (under DEVICES & PRINTERS)
- Right-click the DVD drive
- Click UNINSTALL
- Go to this site: http://techiesspot.com/filez/cddvdfix.reg
- Allow the driver to install
- Right-click the DVD drive again
- Click "SCAN FOR HARDWARE CHANGES" ... this should allow the computer to find the new driver
- Restart your computer when prompted; the DVD player won't work until you do.
And a side note ... HP technical support was excellent. I was grateful to have the problem solved in less than an hour, and on the first try.
Best of wishes to you!