PROBLEM: Dell BIOS 1535_A06.EXE update utility hangs during BIOS flash process.
1. Open Dell BIOS 1535_A06.EXE update utility from saved location on desktop by right-clicking and running as Administrator.
2. Click [Continue] button on "Dell BIOS Flash" update utility dialogue box asking "Replace 'A05' BIOS with 'A06' BIOS?"
3. Click [Okay] in Shutdown Confirmation dialog box.
4. Computer shuts down, like normal ("Logging off..." screen, then "Shutting down..." screen).
5. Instead of powering down, the computer "hangs"--still powered on (exhaust fan and Media Strip buttons active, power button light on). The computer NEVER finishes the shutdown process and powers off.
If I force-shutdown the computer (hold the power button down for 5 seconds), the computer powers down, but when I restart it (push power button, wait for POST), the BIOS load screen still says Dell BIOS A05 under the POST test status bar.
In other words, because of this weird hang-up (not finishing the shutdown and hanging in a full-powered mode), the BIOS updated never activates.
This "hanging" issue also happens any time the computer automatically restarts itself, whether by command (choosing "Restart" from the Windows menu), or through a system process (installing new software that automatically calls the system into restart mode. EVERY TIME, it will hang in this weird powered-but-useless mode, never fully powering off.
I have disabled device drivers
(some have said that the webcam driver
plays havoc with driver update issues, so that device has been disabled). Others have said that the Roxio EasyCD software is a known culprit. However, it's been uninstalled and deleted from my system (as I HATE Roxio's products and have absolutely no use for the software).
So...what in the world is causing this? It's very frustrating, to say the least! I just want to update to A06, because I'm having so many BIOS problems under A05 (Media Strip "Eject CD" and "Volume Up" buttons freezing "on", exhaust fan going full RPM for no apparent reason--even with CPU temperature at 25C or less, DVDs not being recognized, or ejected...etc., etc.), all of which have been pointed to being known problems with Dell's shoddy A05 BIOS.
Just...I can't seem to get the darn thing to properly shutdown, so that the BIOS updater can flash the ROM!
Thanks, in advance.
Dell Studio 1535
Windows 7 v6.1 build 7600
Intel Core2 Duo T8500 CPUs at 2.00 GHz
3.00 GB 677 MHz DDR RAM