Originally Posted by dnottis Instead of uninstalling the nvidia driver first. Change to the VGA driver. Then uninstall the Nvidia driver, reboot. Run Driver Sweeper. Reboot. Then install the new Nvidia driver.
this was the solution to my problem, thank you man.
for clarification to anyone else that is having this problem,
1. go into device manager,
2. right click on your display card,
3. choose properties,
4. go to 'driver' tab,
5. choose update driver,
6. choose 'browse my computer for driver software',
7. choose 'let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer',
8. double click 'standard vga graphics driver' and wait for install
9. uninstall nvidia driver from 'programs and features'
10. reboot into safe mode and run driver cleaner if you wish,
11. reboot, now windows will recognize that there is a standard vga driver installed and will NOT attempt to install the WDDM one.
12. install new driver per norm.