When I switch my laptop on from cold, the graphics card driver
and mouse drivers
show "could not start". As a result, the mouse stops working and the screen resolution is reduced to absolute minimum (800x600). If I reboot immediately then the next boot they work fine. This only happens when I've started the computer from completely shut down.
I've tried the following:
- Upgrading to latest drivers
- Downgrading all drivers to old versions
- Running a system restore to when the problem did not exist
- Testing the laptop with Windows XP = Problem doesn't appear
- Re-installing Windows 7 from CD
This must be a problem with the way Windows 7 handles the drivers, surely? Why would they start working again after a simple reboot? I am lost, and to think I used to repair PC's for a living. The last thing I can think to do is a full wipe and install of Windows 7 from scratch, but I don't really want to do this because I have lots of settings/apps etc that I'll have to re-install. Any idea's!?