Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: compatible drivers?


08 Feb 2010   #1

Windows Seven
 
 
Windows vista compatible with W7? drivers?

hey i got ASUS M3A motherboard atm, with Windows Vista OS. I am about to reformat my computer because too much junk etc. but my question is: my motherboard came with a driver and it says "vista driver inside" on the label and my pc screen says "confertifed for windows vista"

the problem is can i use my motherboard driver once i installed windows 7? i tried looking at the manu site, but there is no driver for my mobo for windows 7 :/ . also what other driver would i need to install after installing windows?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Feb 2010   #2

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Welcome!

The answer is almost certainly yes, you can run Windows 7. Be sure to run the upgrade adviser, first, just to make 100% sure.

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/win...e-advisor.aspx

~JK
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2010   #3

Windows Seven
 
 

oooo, so i can install vista driver in Windows 7?

edit: ran through Windows 7 advisor, result: i can upgrade to Windows 7 , but could i reformat instead of upgrade? also it tells me i need to update ATK0110 APCI utility, which i think is my mobo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Feb 2010   #4

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit / XP Home sp3
 
 

IMO A clean install is best. Windows will find most of your drivers. The ones it doesn't you can use your Vista drivers if the MB website doesn't have any ones for seven. First you have to make sure that the Vista drivers are the same bit 32 or 64 as the Windows Seven OS your installing. You can install the vista drivers in compatibility mode. Compatibility Mode. CHeck you MB site for APCI Utility drivers. Hope this helps . Fabe
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2010   #5

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by colgate View Post
oooo, so i can install vista driver in Windows 7?

edit: ran through Windows 7 advisor, result: i can upgrade to Windows 7 , but could i reformat instead of upgrade? also it tells me i need to update ATK0110 APCI utility, which i think is my mobo
I agree with Fabe above. A clean install is better. See this tutorial: Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2010   #6
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by colgate View Post
i tried looking at the manu site, but there is no driver for my mobo for windows 7 :/ . also what other driver would i need to install after installing windows?
That would be because the good folks at Asus are idiots and don't keep their download pages updated if the drivers are available. In your case yor motherboard has the AMD 770/SB600 chipset on it and it will work just fine with Windows 7. In fact you shouldn't need to install anything and be good to go with the drivers that Windows will install on its own.

If worse comes to worse and you have to get updated drivers just go directly to AMD/ATI to get them,

Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

Just select Motherboard/Integrated Video Drivers and under that Individual Drivers (motherboard/chipset), then select your version of Windows.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2010   #7

Windows Seven
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by colgate View Post
i tried looking at the manu site, but there is no driver for my mobo for windows 7 :/ . also what other driver would i need to install after installing windows?
That would be because the good folks at Asus are idiots and don't keep their download pages updated if the drivers are available. In your case yor motherboard has the AMD 770/SB600 chipset on it and it will work just fine with Windows 7. In fact you shouldn't need to install anything and be good to go with the drivers that Windows will install on its own.

If worse comes to worse and you have to get updated drivers just go directly to AMD/ATI to get them,

Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

Just select Motherboard/Integrated Video Drivers and under that Individual Drivers (motherboard/chipset), then select your version of Windows.
THANKS, my MB does have the AMD 770/SB600 chipset ,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by colgate View Post
oooo, so i can install vista driver in Windows 7?

edit: ran through Windows 7 advisor, result: i can upgrade to Windows 7 , but could i reformat instead of upgrade? also it tells me i need to update ATK0110 APCI utility, which i think is my mobo
I agree with Fabe above. A clean install is better. See this tutorial: Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version
THANKS! man, ill just do a clean install, and if i get problems ill just get help

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by thefabe View Post
IMO A clean install is best. Windows will find most of your drivers. The ones it doesn't you can use your Vista drivers if the MB website doesn't have any ones for seven. First you have to make sure that the Vista drivers are the same bit 32 or 64 as the Windows Seven OS your installing. You can install the vista drivers in compatibility mode. Compatibility Mode. CHeck you MB site for APCI Utility drivers. Hope this helps . Fabe
THANKS! man
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 compatible drivers?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33