Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: HELP me correct my desktop display problem, Ati driver?


28 Feb 2010   #1

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 
HELP me correct my desktop display problem, Ati driver?

Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and have just purchased a new Ati HD5770 graphics card to replace my old NVidia 8800GTS 512.

It worked fine and I installed the Ati drivers from the ATi website. However just recently, I've been experiencing problems with the desktop display; lock up/freezes, horizontal lines and artifacts and small dots/specs on the desktop and any webpage. I've tested just about everything and I can't figure it out. Interestingly it only started happening when I finished (exited from) a 2 hours long stint playing Dead Space game, so thought it could be an overheating problem. But when I played it previously and also Stalker, the display was fine.



  • My RAM seems to run fine as I've stressed it and changed them over into different DIMM slots.
  • My NEC monitor is working fine as I've tested it on my television with the same problems. I also tested with DVi and HDMI cables changed over and still same problem.
  • Thinking it was an overheating problem, I've shut down the computer for a long period restrarted with the same problems and cleaned out the large Coolermaster Cosmos S case of any dust. I've even cleaned the CPU heatsink and applied new thermal pasted so can't be overheating. My temps are fine.
  • I can boot into safe mode and the problem goes away suggesting the graphics card hardware is working ok.
  • However as soon as I un-install the Ati drivers (Catalyst 10.2) and use the gerenci VGA driver the problem dissapears. So it must be a Ati driver problem right?

Remember you may recall I had similar problem with TDR messages on my old NVidia card and BSODs) but no problems with desktop artifacts / specs before.

My display is set to small text and 1920x1200 resolution, I've currently using DVI lead, although the problem persists with HDMI too.

I've tried all sorts, un-installing the driver, re-installing in safe mode, using Driver Sweeper cleaner software to ensure there is no conflict. I've also made sure Windows C++ 2008 x64 redistributable is installed and up to date.

Any suggestions?



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Feb 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Geege View Post
Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and have just purchased a new Ati HD5770 graphics card to replace my old NVidia 8800GTS 512.

It worked fine and I installed the Ati drivers from the ATi website. However just recently, I've been experiencing problems with the desktop display; lock up/freezes, horizontal lines and artifacts and small dots/specs on the desktop and any webpage. I've tested just about everything and I can't figure it out. Interestingly it only started happening when I finished (exited from) a 2 hours long stint playing Dead Space game, so thought it could be an overheating problem. But when I played it previously and also Stalker, the display was fine.


  • My RAM seems to run fine as I've stressed it and changed them over into different DIMM slots.
  • My NEC monitor is working fine as I've tested it on my television with the same problems. I also tested with DVi and HDMI cables changed over and still same problem.
  • Thinking it was an overheating problem, I've shut down the computer for a long period restrarted with the same problems and cleaned out the large Coolermaster Cosmos S case of any dust. I've even cleaned the CPU heatsink and applied new thermal pasted so can't be overheating. My temps are fine.
  • I can boot into safe mode and the problem goes away suggesting the graphics card hardware is working ok.
  • However as soon as I un-install the Ati drivers (Catalyst 10.2) and use the gerenci VGA driver the problem dissapears. So it must be a Ati driver problem right?
Remember you may recall I had similar problem with TDR messages on my old NVidia card and BSODs) but no problems with desktop artifacts / specs before.

My display is set to small text and 1920x1200 resolution, I've currently using DVI lead, although the problem persists with HDMI too.

I've tried all sorts, un-installing the driver, re-installing in safe mode, using Driver Sweeper cleaner software to ensure there is no conflict. I've also made sure Windows C++ 2008 x64 redistributable is installed and up to date.

Any suggestions?


Sounds like it is a driver issue... Are you sure you had correct 64bit driver?


Who is manufacturer of card?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #3

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Yes, I'm pretty sure - the latest Catalyst 10.2 driver, from the offical ATi website.

Windows 7 64-bit > Radeon > 5700 series. Express install.

As I said, the problem goes away with the drivers un-installed or when I'm in safe mode. So it must be a driver issue - but no matter how many times, I un-install, re-install etc.. the problem persists.

Should I consider doing a system restore back to the restore point back when I first installed my Ati card?

It is a Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 (not vapour-X, the standard cooler) product code 11163-02-20R
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 Feb 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 

Here's the Sapphire page you need:
SAPPHIRE- HOME
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #5

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

ok just trying the download from Sapphire website
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Geege View Post
ok just trying the download from Sapphire website
Sometimes just because you have an ATI or Nvidia chipset there driver doesnt always work... best to use manufacturers when possible.

Good luck, and please let us know how it works!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Geege View Post
Yes, I'm pretty sure - the latest Catalyst 10.2 driver, from the offical ATi website.

Windows 7 64-bit > Radeon > 5700 series. Express install.

As I said, the problem goes away with the drivers un-installed or when I'm in safe mode. So it must be a driver issue - but no matter how many times, I un-install, re-install etc.. the problem persists.

Should I consider doing a system restore back to the restore point back when I first installed my Ati card?

It is a Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 (not vapour-X, the standard cooler) product code 11163-02-20R
Looks like an overdrive issue


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #8

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Hey? What makes you say that?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Geege View Post
Yes, I'm pretty sure - the latest Catalyst 10.2 driver, from the offical ATi website.

Windows 7 64-bit > Radeon > 5700 series. Express install.

As I said, the problem goes away with the drivers un-installed or when I'm in safe mode. So it must be a driver issue - but no matter how many times, I un-install, re-install etc.. the problem persists.

Should I consider doing a system restore back to the restore point back when I first installed my Ati card?

It is a Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 (not vapour-X, the standard cooler) product code 11163-02-20R
Looks like an overdrive issue
Yes Baarod... what makes you say that? Your screenie isnt even same card... ???

Geege:

Any luck with the Sapphire drivers? Did you uninstall all Ati drivers & utilities 1st?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #10

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Maybe it is my broadband connection but the driver download is saying 5 hours remaining
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 HELP me correct my desktop display problem, Ati driver?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: HELP me correct my desktop display problem, Ati driver?
Thread Forum
Solved My monitor doesn't display correct color Graphic Cards
display driver problem again Graphic Cards
Network Icon does not display the correct menu Network & Sharing
Clock Won't Display Correct GMT/UTC ? General Discussion
Solved having display driver not responding and black dots on my desktop Drivers
Strange display problem on desktop General Discussion
Display Driver Problem. Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33