I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and have just purchased a new Ati HD5770 graphics card to replace my old NVidia 8800GTS 512.
It worked fine and I installed the Ati drivers
from the ATi website. However just recently, I've been experiencing problems with the desktop display; lock up/freezes, horizontal lines and artifacts and small dots/specs on the desktop and any webpage. I've tested just about everything and I can't figure it out. Interestingly it only started happening when I finished (exited from) a 2 hours long stint playing Dead Space game
, so thought it could be an overheating problem. But when I played it previously and also Stalker, the display was fine.
- My RAM seems to run fine as I've stressed it and changed them over into different DIMM slots.
- My NEC monitor is working fine as I've tested it on my television with the same problems. I also tested with DVi and HDMI cables changed over and still same problem.
- Thinking it was an overheating problem, I've shut down the computer for a long period restrarted with the same problems and cleaned out the large Coolermaster Cosmos S case of any dust. I've even cleaned the CPU heatsink and applied new thermal pasted so can't be overheating. My temps are fine.
- I can boot into safe mode and the problem goes away suggesting the graphics card hardware is working ok.
- However as soon as I un-install the Ati drivers (Catalyst 10.2) and use the gerenci VGA driver the problem dissapears. So it must be a Ati driver problem right?
Remember you may recall I had similar problem with TDR messages on my old NVidia card and BSODs) but no problems with desktop artifacts / specs before.
My display is set to small text and 1920x1200 resolution, I've currently using DVI lead, although the problem persists with HDMI too.
I've tried all sorts, un-installing the driver, re-installing in safe mode, using Driver Sweeper cleaner software to ensure there is no conflict. I've also made sure Windows C++ 2008 x64 redistributable is installed and up to date.