Anybody know how to manually install a device driver
on Windows 7? I like to charge my Razr phone via usb cable, but Windows 7 claims it can't find the driver and doesn't give me the opportunity to locate the driver myself like past versions of the os used to. I have the driver downloaded onto my computer already.
FYI, this is what I have done:
- Downloaded the driver from the Motorola site (it's a zip file)
- Plugged the phone in to the computer
- "Found new hardware" bubble popped up, almost immediately followed by the "device failed to install" bubble (install wizard did not come up)
- I opened the device file, right clicked the device, and clicked ' troubleshoot'. It searched for the driver but could not find it and prompted me to allow Windows update to automatically find the drivers.
- I then left clicked the device in the device file, clicked the 'hardware' tab, clicked 'properties' and clicked the 'drivers' tab. All selections were grayed out except 'driver details' which says I don't need a driver.
I also tried unzipping the files and tried to let Windows find the drivers again, but to no avail.
I also tried the "add hardware" wizard, but it would not detect my phone and will only allow manual select of wireless or network devices.
I went through the Windows help files, but found nothing regarding manual device installation other than what I already tried. What am I missing? Where is the install wizard and the manual install option?