Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Sorry for the repeat....

26 Jun 2010   #1
ITAltman

windows 7
 
 
Sorry for the repeat....

Have a familiar problem, and am in dire need of a response.
I have an HP Pavilion dv8225nr that I recently upgraded from XP Pro to 7 Home Premium (32 bit).
As I'm sure you're aware, when I did, everything went well, except that I have no sound. Before you tell me everything I've already heard, I have tried everything I could find on the web to fix this and nothing has worked.
And before you say "just use device manager", I need to tell you that I have tried to use it and there is no sound, video and game controller option in it. It's just not there. Additionally, the BIOS (fully updated) has no option for sound devices (in fact it's wonderfully limited in what you can do.)
I have tried every single driver I could find for Vista, XP and otherwise, and even when I run them in compatibility for Vista Sp2, they all fail with the "Can't find MEDIA" error.
I really don't know what else to do. My considerable computer knowledge is availing me for naught in this situation. ARRGH
If there is any reg edit I can do or anything similar, I would be welcome to hear it.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
I would happily provide the PnP Hardware ID's, but without Dev Mgr, I really don't know how to find them, any tutorials on that would be appreciated also.
Thanks for the help everyone, and I look forward to a quick solution.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Jun 2010   #2
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ITAltman View Post
Have a familiar problem, and am in dire need of a response.
I have an HP Pavilion dv8225nr that I recently upgraded from XP Pro to 7 Home Premium (32 bit).
As I'm sure you're aware, when I did, everything went well, except that I have no sound. Before you tell me everything I've already heard, I have tried everything I could find on the web to fix this and nothing has worked.
And before you say "just use device manager", I need to tell you that I have tried to use it and there is no sound, video and game controller option in it. It's just not there. Additionally, the BIOS (fully updated) has no option for sound devices (in fact it's wonderfully limited in what you can do.)
I have tried every single driver I could find for Vista, XP and otherwise, and even when I run them in compatibility for Vista Sp2, they all fail with the "Can't find MEDIA" error.
I really don't know what else to do. My considerable computer knowledge is availing me for naught in this situation. ARRGH
If there is any reg edit I can do or anything similar, I would be welcome to hear it.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
I would happily provide the PnP Hardware ID's, but without Dev Mgr, I really don't know how to find them, any tutorials on thayt would be appreciated also.
Thanks for the help everyone, and I look forward to a quick solution.
See my post #7

Add:
DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS, and set to 1
DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES, and set to 1...


"Bare Foot Kid" Tutorial:
Device Manager : Hidden Devices

Come back to us after...with a screenshot!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2010   #3
ITAltman

windows 7
 
 

Having done the steps of the tutorial, here is my dev mgr screenshot:


As you can see, no sound entry.
Again, any help would be awesome, (and thanks for the tutorial point.)


Attached Thumbnails
Sorry for the repeat....-devmgr-scrnsht1.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Jun 2010   #4
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ITAltman View Post
Having done the steps of the tutorial, here is my dev mgr screenshot:


As you can see, no sound entry.
Again, any help would be awesome, (and thanks for the tutorial point.)
Could you have a look first here...?:
Sound & Microphone HP Pavilion dv8225nr Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2010   #5
ITAltman

windows 7
 
 

No joy on either HP or Conexant.

Conx: @ the request of the manuf, we do not provide drivers for our pc audio devices, pls check w/ manuf.

HP sez NO WIN 7 4 U!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2010   #6
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2010   #7
ITAltman

windows 7
 
 

No luck on modding the .cva file, any other mods (reg, etc.) that anyone can think of?

Ok after finding out a possible workaround by installing a realtek driver to enable sound in devmgr, I installed the conexant drivers from HP and am now getting a code 10 which I can't get around.

Hardware ID:
hdaudio\func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0260
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2010   #8
pweegar

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Have a look here: No drivers for Conexant AC-Link Audio. They talk about using the XP driver, or the Vista driver.

Also try: Conexant AC-Link Audio Download - Conexant PCI Drivers. It has both an install guide as well as a driver to all versions of Windows (altho I don't know if that includes Windows 7 or not).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2010   #9
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ITAltman View Post
No luck on modding the .cva file, any other mods (reg, etc.) that anyone can think of?

Ok after finding out a possible workaround by installing a realtek driver to enable sound in devmgr, I installed the conexant drivers from HP and am now getting a code 10 which I can't get around.

Hardware ID:
hdaudio\func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0260
Is that mean you succeed having an entry in your Device Manager?

You might try to update the drivers by searching directly from extracted sound folder, instead install the software from a .exe.



EDIT:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-no-sound-in-windows
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2010   #10
ITAltman

windows 7
 
 
Extremely frustrated @ this point....

Ok, after going through every driver I could find, still the best I could do was get to a conexant hd audio device in dev mgr with a code 10.

After loading the conexant ac97 driver I ended up with a 0x0000007e BSOD on startup whiich forced me to remove the sound device in safe mode to resolve.

In safe mode, the error changes from, no audio device, to audio service not started, and I can't start the necessary dependencies in safe mode.

I'm left wondering why HP is making such a blatant, greedy grab for cash with this...just give us a GD win 7 driver already!!!!!!

It's like win 7 has shut down my mobo sound hardware and there seems to be nothing (short of buying another XP disk ) that I can do to fix what should be a simple thing..... GRRRRRR

I can't even try the BIOS because HP SHUTS DOWN those options in it's phoenix bios.

I've seen many, many other people with this exact problem that have easily solved it, so why can't I?

Sorry to rant, I'm just really angry @ this issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Sorry for the repeat....




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
keyboard letters repeat themselves.
When typing some of the letters repeat. Example: thaat. The problem seems to be more with the letter A. I have changed keyboards but the problem still exist. I have set my repeat rate to the lowest setting. I use Office 2003 Professional Word. Is this problem in Windows 7, Office 2003...
General Discussion
Update Repeat
From and inclusive 15th May to 23rd May I have had eight updates of KB2310138 but all the definitions have been different.Am I correct in assuming this is the same part of MSE being changed to improve security or could there be a fault.Had a similar spate of updates for the same designation a few...
Windows Updates & Activation
repeat updates
Hi guys Got a bit of a weird problem that I can't sort. For about a fortnight or so I had had two windows updates that would appear in the automaatic updater. If I hit the install button they install and it says they installed succesfully but they remain in the to be installed queue. Every time...
Windows Updates & Activation
Which word does SevenForums repeat mostly?
Let's have some fun. Post your suggestion which word SevenForums repeat mostly. I'll say it's Thanks Words like is, are, I, am, he etc is not included!
Chillout Room
Repeat OS install BSOD
Hello; I am new to the forum and have tried to follow the guidelines for posting this crash, however if I have missed anything I apologize in advance. I have fresh-installed the OS on 3 different drives, having had failures (BSOD) on all three at some point during windows updates, or when...
BSOD Help and Support
Keyboard repeat delay, repeat rate??
Anyone know how to change the keyboard repeat delay, repeat rate in RC build? Annoying as hell, as its so slow, and I cant find it anywhere lol! Many thx :D
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:11.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App