Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Removing ATI Drivers?

19 Jul 2010   #1
Gata

Windows 7 Professional
 
 
Removing ATI Drivers?

I'm going to be making the jump from my current Radeon HD 4200 IGP to a Geforce GT 240.

What I need to know is how to properly remove the drivers (either manually, or through software that does it for me).

And also, to double check (about upgrading the GPU):
1. Uninstall Drivers
2. Shut down, ground yourself against static electricity (touch a metal part of the case)
3. Remove expansion slot, install GPU, and put in the Expansion Slot screw
4. Boot into the BIOS and change video card from IGP to PCI-E
5. Hook up monitor to GPU
6. Install Nvidia Drivers.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Jul 2010   #2
grimreaper

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gata View Post
I'm going to be making the jump from my current Radeon HD 4200 IGP to a Geforce GT 240.

What I need to know is how to properly remove the drivers (either manually, or through software that does it for me).

And also, to double check (about upgrading the GPU):
1. Uninstall Drivers
2. Shut down, ground yourself against static electricity (touch a metal part of the case)
3. Remove expansion slot, install GPU, and put in the Expansion Slot screw
4. Boot into the BIOS and change video card from IGP to PCI-E
5. Hook up monitor to GPU
6. Install Nvidia Drivers.
Go to Control panel>Programs>Programs and Features....
Find ATI program, delete drivers, reboot, and install nvidia drivers, reboot if required.
Configure software properly, and you're good to go
I would un-plug the power cord from the computer case also, before opening up the case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2010   #3
Gata

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gata View Post
I'm going to be making the jump from my current Radeon HD 4200 IGP to a Geforce GT 240.

What I need to know is how to properly remove the drivers (either manually, or through software that does it for me).

And also, to double check (about upgrading the GPU):
1. Uninstall Drivers
2. Shut down, ground yourself against static electricity (touch a metal part of the case)
3. Remove expansion slot, install GPU, and put in the Expansion Slot screw
4. Boot into the BIOS and change video card from IGP to PCI-E
5. Hook up monitor to GPU
6. Install Nvidia Drivers.
Go to Control panel>Programs>Programs and Features....
Find ATI program, delete drivers, reboot, and install nvidia drivers, reboot if required.
Configure software properly, and you're good to go
I would un-plug the power cord from the computer case also, before opening up the case.
What would I uninstall? ATI Catalyst Install Manager?

Also, would I install 32-bit or 64-bit drivers on my 64-bit system?
Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Jul 2010   #4
grimreaper

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gata View Post
Would I remove ATI Catalyst Install Manager?
yes, remove everything that's ATI, after all, the other GPU is a GT240 which requires drivers from NVIDIA latest ones is here:

Version:


258.96 WHQL (x32bit ONLY)


Release Date:

2010.07.19

Operating System:

Windows 7, Windows Vista

Language:

English (U.S.)

File Size:

94.3 MB

258.96 WHQL x64bit here
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2010   #5
Gata

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gata View Post
Would I remove ATI Catalyst Install Manager?
yes, remove everything that's ATI, after all, the other GPU is a GT240 which requires drivers from NVIDIA latest ones is here:

Version:


258.96 WHQL (x32bit ONLY)


Release Date:

2010.07.19

Operating System:

Windows 7, Windows Vista

Language:

English (U.S.)

File Size:

94.3 MB

x64bit here
So, just to double-check:
Control Panel--> Uninstall a program
ATI Catalyst Install Manager-->Change-->Uninstall manager
Check everything
And reboot, install the GPU, etc.

Right?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2010   #6
grimreaper

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

So after you remove the drivers for ATI, shut down the computer, un-plug the power cord, open case, then physically remove the ATI GPU card.

Insert the GT240 GPU, close case, plug back AC power cord, start your computer up, then install the NVIDIA drivers (not sure if you're running x32bit or x64bit of Windows Ultimate, that's why I supplied you with both links.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2010   #7
grimreaper

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gata View Post



So, just to double-check:
Control Panel--> Uninstall a program
ATI Catalyst Install Manager-->Change-->Uninstall manager
Check everything
And reboot, install the GPU, etc.

Right?
Yes Sir
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2010   #8
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gata View Post
So, just to double-check:
Control Panel--> Uninstall a program
ATI Catalyst Install Manager-->Change-->Uninstall manager
Check everything
And reboot, install the GPU, etc.

Right?
I'd run Driversweeper in safe mode after uninstalling the cat drivers before adding the nvidia card.

► Download and install driver sweeper

Control Panel--> Uninstall a program
ATI Catalyst Install Manager-->Change-->Uninstall manager

► Reboot into Safe Mode, run driverseepr to analyze/clean ATI files

Shut down and then install the nvidia card.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2010   #9
grimreaper

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

thank you smarteyeball for the added info
This way it completely cleans out any traces of ATI software.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2010   #10
grimreaper

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

I'll be here Gata if you need any further help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Removing ATI Drivers?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Driver Fusion uninstalled iexplore.exe when removing AMD drivers
I reinstalled CCC 13.4 after using Driver Fusion premium in safe mode and when I logged in, a cmd window came up and error message saying "windows cannot find iexplore.exe". I don't have a screenshot of the cmd window but it said something like "start iexplore.exe "support.amd.com.."". I assume it...
Drivers
Cloned install - Removing unwanted drivers
I have cloned my notebook windows install (Windows 7/ Dell) to a generic desktop PC. Once done, I have manually removed all DELL custom software within Control Panel->Program and features, however I have noticed that some DELL specific drivers have been left in. For example once I have installed...
Drivers
Safely removing old NVIDA drivers ?
I noticed that I have nVidia drivers dating back from a long time ago still on my PC. I was hesitate to just delete the folders in Windows after reading that you can cause problems or false positives etc. With that in mind, how do I remove previous nVidia drivers, I presently have the latest...
Drivers
removing old (ghost) drivers?
What is the best way to find and remove old (sometimes called ghost) drivers from a Win7 64-bit system?
Drivers
Removing old device drivers - nice cleanup or dangerous
Hey people! I'm sure most of you know of the "devmgr_show_nonpresent_device" variable to show inactive (disconnected etc) devices in device manager. A common old practice is to look around here occasionally and clean everything out that you don't connect or use anymore to tidy things up. ...
Drivers
NVIDIA drivers - Vista drivers or 7 drivers?
Which version should I use for the NVIDIA drivers, the Vista version or the 7 version?
Drivers

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:49.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App