Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Custom SevenForums Gadgets

08 Jul 2010   #841
pacinitaly

windows 7 professional & ultimate 64bit laptops
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by OEM View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
There are those who would gladly take over the responsibilities of maintaining it, but I fear it has been abandoned
Hey Ken,

These people you speak of taking over the maintenance, would any of them have the ability to start from scratch with a completely new one?

I've always had problems with the current.
The feed input has been severely overloaded since it was first developed last year. Compare the member at that time and have a look now to see that some 7,000 or so have signed up only in the last two months.

Unfortunately starting from scratch would be the thing needed at this time to once again see a gadget that works and is not taxed by the steadily growing feed to it. The overload on the present one scrambles up the display making it awkward for most to use.
and there's the answer


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Jul 2010   #842
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

Precisely! Unfortunately while the original layout for the present gadget was excellent it's time to place it in retirement.

It was good while it lasted for most but now suffers from the lack of any newer updated revisions to compensate for the forum growth seen in the last several months. If the original developer is now unavailable for seeing to a new updated version someone else would need to start off all over again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2010   #843
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

I was earlier quite active gadget user, but because of these display and other problems, I switched to RSS feed using WMC as described here.

Would be nice, though, if someone could make a new SF gadget. I'm missing it's functionality.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jul 2010   #844
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Agree with Kari, would be nice to see a new one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2010   #845
DocBrown

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

I have posted two messages for limneos, but he has not been on the forums for about 60 days now. Maybe a mod could send him an email.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2010   #846
OEM

OS3.5
 
 

Hi Doc, Long time since we've crossed paths. Hope your time is still being used wisely, ohh wait look who I'm talking too, you can do anything with time. So what do you see in our future regarding the Seven Forums Gadget? lol Go ahead into the future and let us know what you see. lol
P.S. Nice Sig, Awesome Graphics work there.

---

I wish I knew how myself to make a gadget/program, but its well out of reach for me. A tweak here and there maybe, but a whole new one, ...no chance.

I wish Limneos would return and work out the existing or if needed start from scratch.

I bet someone out there is looking for a wanted gadget project to build, we just need to find him or her, or have them somehow find us.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2010   #847
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
I was earlier quite active gadget user, but because of these display and other problems, I switched to RSS feed using WMC as described here.

Would be nice, though, if someone could make a new SF gadget. I'm missing it's functionality.
With feeds subscribed to you can also use a news gadget as well. But it will never be quite the same as the SF gadget limneos made.

Even when the first version was seen it was something to see when making comparisons. This is how a typical news gadget would look when showing the SF feed.


Attached Images
Custom SevenForums Gadgets-sf-news-feed.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #848
OEM

OS3.5
 
 

I Hope limneos doesn't take offense to this, but since it appears he longer has the time and/or for whatever reason hasn't logged in for awhile, I've taken it upon myself to ask for help.

Over at the MSN Message boards I've posted asking if any developers would be interested in helping us out with creating a new one.

The thread can be found here at Sevenforums Needs a New Gadget.

I have no idea how many developers look there, but I felt it necessary to try something as I would love to use a new gadget built for the forum. I've liked gadgets from day one, but always had trouble with the current one. So we'll have to wait and see what happens. Like I said, I don't know much about the MSN Gallery\Message boards\Sidebarsite, as the thread posted today was my first visit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #849
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by OEM View Post
I Hope limneos doesn't take offense to this, but since it appears he longer has the time and/or for whatever reason hasn't logged in for awhile, I've taken it upon myself to ask for help.

Over at the MSN Message boards I've posted asking if any developers would be interested in helping us out with creating a new one.

The thread can be found here at Sevenforums Needs a New Gadget.

I have no idea how many developers look there, but I felt it necessary to try something as I would love to use a new gadget built for the forum. I've liked gadgets from day one, but always had trouble with the current one. So we'll have to wait and see what happens. Like I said, I don't know much about the MSN Gallery\Message boards\Sidebarsite, as the thread posted today was my first visit.
Tim

I dont think Limneos would mind, and there are several developers here who would take it over, but it would require access to the external server, and Johns approval.

All this for something that only about 20-25 ppl use. Dont get me wrong I use it and love it.

K
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #850
OEM

OS3.5
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by OEM View Post
I Hope limneos doesn't take offense to this, but since it appears he longer has the time and/or for whatever reason hasn't logged in for awhile, I've taken it upon myself to ask for help.

Over at the MSN Message boards I've posted asking if any developers would be interested in helping us out with creating a new one.

The thread can be found here at Sevenforums Needs a New Gadget.

I have no idea how many developers look there, but I felt it necessary to try something as I would love to use a new gadget built for the forum. I've liked gadgets from day one, but always had trouble with the current one. So we'll have to wait and see what happens. Like I said, I don't know much about the MSN Gallery\Message boards\Sidebarsite, as the thread posted today was my first visit.
Tim

I dont think Limneos would mind, and there are several developers here who would take it over, but it would require access to the external server, and Johns approval.

All this for something that only about 20-25 ppl use. Dont get me wrong I use it and love it.

K
I would think if the gadget worked better than its current status, then many more members would be interested in using it. The amount of users is low for the current one is most likely due to all of its glitches, ...thats why I'm not using it.

Maybe a new thread with poll asking members if they would be interested in using a new forum gadget. That would give us some idea as to how many would use it. There are a lot of members here that sign in every day. Its those members I beleive that would be interested in using a gadget that was well laid out and free of glitches.

Now that I think about it, it probably wouldn't be that hard to edit the current gadget so it didn't show what users where currently logged in. I believe thats the main issue. If the current gadget did away with displaying currently logged in members it might once again be satisfactory to use. I might look into that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Custom SevenForums Gadgets




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Gadgets - Create a Custom Clock Gadget
Gadgets – Creating a Custom clock gadget. http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/a/31783d1255810273-gadgets-create-custom-gadget-clock-4141.png?stc=1 For this you will need: An orb of any kind (Circle) to use as the gadget clock (Browse DeviantArt) Photo Editing Software
Tutorials
Anyone making custom gadgets?
Hey everyone out there! So i just registerede - mainly because i wanted to ask my question, but i might as well stick around too :) So i was wondering if anyone here knew how to make a homemade gadget? You see, i've just started "high-school" (I'm danish XD), and my timetable for school is...
Gadgets
How To Make Custom Gadgets
First Chose A Gadget I'll Do The Calander So Find Its Folder At C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets/GadgetsNAME And Take Owner Ship Of It. Now Find Its Img Folder Inside And Close Sidbar In Taskmrg Now You Can Edit Them To Fit Your Need Star The GadGets Back Up nd You Ar Done. P.S Try...
Gadgets
Custom Gadgets by sergiogarcia9
http://www.sevenforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic574_42.gif Hi all i started making gadgets as you might know, and was wondering if any of you would like a custom gadget? :) I can do clocks, CPU meters, HDD meters etc. :) So place your requests in this thread, and i will try the best i can...
Gadgets
Gadgets, custom DPI, pink outline
Hello all, went through every post in this tread looking for answers (and because I wanted MORE gadgets, lol). There were older posts I didn't want to bump. 1st one people didn't know reason for problem, and 2nd one people didn't have answer to fix (if possible: ...
Gadgets
Kukags Custom Gadgets!
Just interfaces would like to team up with a coder or two and actually start distributing these gadgets as top quality gadgets. Heres the prototypes I have so far.... MANY MORE to come and just like my explorer I NEED IDEAS! =P Thanks, Kukag!
Gadgets


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:42.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App