Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: I want my sidebar back!!!!


11 Sep 2009   #21

 

No, this thread is from November of 2008 - back in the days of builds prior to the first beta.

The sidebar is well and functional in Windows 7 now.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Sep 2009   #22

 
 

Functional? I just installed Win 7 final (the RTM available from technet, not the RC) and there is no sidebar, only desktop gadgets with always-on-top option. Is there a very special secret option to activate to see the sidebar? The only way I was able to see it was from copying the vista sidebar files, I did not found any way to see the sidebar from the original win 7 installation (ultimate) without any special hack.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2009   #23

 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


11 Sep 2009   #24

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by foxontherock View Post
Functional? I just installed Win 7 final (the RTM available from technet, not the RC) and there is no sidebar, only desktop gadgets with always-on-top option. Is there a very special secret option to activate to see the sidebar? The only way I was able to see it was from copying the vista sidebar files, I did not found any way to see the sidebar from the original win 7 installation (ultimate) without any special hack.

The gadget sidebar like it was in Vista isn't implemented in Windows 7, never has been. Only the sidebar.exe process is left and runs for the gadgets in Win 7. The whole desktop now serves as the sidebar did really. The only way to get the sidebar like it was in Vista I believe, is to do it this way.

Vista Windows Sidebar - Reinstate on Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2009   #25

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Airbot View Post
Only the sidebar.exe process is left and runs for the gadgets in Win 7. The whole desktop now serves as the sidebar did really. The only way to get the sidebar like it was in Vista I believe, is to do it this way.
This is what I realised after installing Win 7. I really think that this move from Microsoft will really decrease the gadgets usability. The sidebar was a good product for those who were using it. It can't be replaced by the desktop gadgets. The desktop gadgets are a great idea, you may want some gadgets always visible, on the bar (not always on top like 7 offer), and some other only on the desktop.

But they do not offer us to choose, they decided that the sidebar must die. So, I decided that the MS GAdgets will die and I changed all my gadgets to the Google desktop ones. And hopefully, my XM Online Radio player that was available as an MS gadget is also available as a google desktop gadget! So, even if I really like Windows 7, this disapoints me a lot.

Bye Bye MS Gadgets, hello to Google Desktop Gadgets.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2009   #26

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by foxontherock View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Airbot View Post
Only the sidebar.exe process is left and runs for the gadgets in Win 7. The whole desktop now serves as the sidebar did really. The only way to get the sidebar like it was in Vista I believe, is to do it this way.
This is what I realised after installing Win 7. I really think that this move from Microsoft will really decrease the gadgets usability. The sidebar was a good product for those who were using it. It can't be replaced by the desktop gadgets. The desktop gadgets are a great idea, you may want some gadgets always visible, on the bar (not always on top like 7 offer), and some other only on the desktop.

But they do not offer us to choose, they decided that the sidebar must die. So, I decided that the MS GAdgets will die and I changed all my gadgets to the Google desktop ones. And hopefully, my XM Online Radio player that was available as an MS gadget is also available as a google desktop gadget! So, even if I really like Windows 7, this disapoints me a lot.

Bye Bye MS Gadgets, hello to Google Desktop Gadgets.
Except the point here is that the Sidebar was removed so you can have Gadgets anywhere on the desktop...it was a much better move on their part
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2009   #27

 

The actual bar is removed but the functionality of the sidebar is not.

Try adding gadgets and you'll immediately see what I mean.

They add themselves to an invisible bar on the right side of your primary monitor (by default) and then when you run out of room start going across the bottom of the screen, then up the left side....ad nauseum.

Other than that it is the same - you can leave the gadgets where they are when you add the, change their positions....or move them off the side so they float independently of the invisible bar. Which you could do in Vista, IIRC.

Hence my statement.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2009   #28

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
The actual bar is removed but the functionality of the sidebar is not.

Try adding gadgets and you'll immediately see what I mean.

They add themselves to an invisible bar on the right side of your primary monitor (by default) and then when you run out of room start going across the bottom of the screen, then up the left side....ad nauseum.

Other than that it is the same - you can leave the gadgets where they are when you add the, change their positions....or move them off the side so they float independently of the invisible bar. Which you could do in Vista, IIRC.

Hence my statement.
I agree...I think people miss having an actual bar that sits over there and emphasizes the gadgets...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2009   #29

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I see what you're saying, but not exactly. The sidebar like it was in Vista has had several different changes in 7 from Vista, including some functions taken away, which makes it no longer a sidebar container on the right hand side. I think the gadgets filling in on the right hand side by default like in the Vista sidebar is coincidental or just left that way. This explains the changes out from Vista to 7 better than I can. A nice little read all the way down.

Introduction to the Gadget Platform (Windows)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2009   #30

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Airbot View Post
I see what you're saying, but not exactly. The sidebar like it was in Vista has had several different changes in 7 from Vista, including some functions taken away, which makes it no longer a sidebar container on the right hand side. This explains the changes out from Vista to 7 better than I can. A nice little read all the way down.

Introduction to the Gadget Platform (Windows)
Indeed it is...one of the big things seems to be the dockable events which have to be done differently than in Windows Vista
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 I want my sidebar back!!!!




« gadgets | Rainmeter »
Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33