Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: SC: Conviction - no problems previously, now repeated slowdowns

26 Aug 2010   #1
MisterAlexGuy

Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 
SC: Conviction - no problems previously, now repeated slowdowns

Been playing Splinter Cell: Conviction off/on for the past month. I took the video settings down one notch from the default to low-medium, and it ran fine on my system, even with Windows visual effects set to "Best appearance".

Now it's suddenly getting slowdowns nearly every time other characters/enemies come into the picture.

Any ideas what might be causing this sudden change in system behavior? The videocard driver is current and I've been downloading/installing all Windows updates as they're released.

Thanks in advance.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Aug 2010   #2
kld2010

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
 
 

and again splinter cell conviction shows more and more probs
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Aug 2010   #3
nickiler

Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit
 
 

Next time your playing the game press the Windows key on your keyboard which will pop you back to your desktop while the game is running in the background and check the task manager see what's happening. Maybe a memory leak in the game causing RAM overload.

Also, check your event logs and paste the most recent errors before the failure. This can sometimes lead to solving your problem.

Nick

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Aug 2010   #4
WongJowo

W7 Ultimate 32-bit
 
 

Maybe you can try to reinstall the game (ubisoft drm eh). Haha,not a good solution,sorry!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2010   #5
MisterAlexGuy

Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nickiler View Post
Next time your playing the game press the Windows key on your keyboard which will pop you back to your desktop while the game is running in the background and check the task manager see what's happening. Maybe a memory leak in the game causing RAM overload.

Also, check your event logs and paste the most recent errors before the failure. This can sometimes lead to solving your problem.

Nick

Thanks, Nick. When I get some time to play this weekend, I'll give that a shot, and check back in with the results.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2010   #6
AstaLaVista

Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MisterAlexGuy View Post
The videocard driver is current and I've been downloading/installing all Windows updates as they're released.

Thanks in advance.
The video card may be current but if you allowed Windows Update to update your drivers, there could be some corruption there. DO NOT let windows update update your drivers (Audio & Video) do these manually.

Download latest drivers, save to a temp folder, uninstall drivers, if you use Nvidia cards, uninstall PhysX as well, restart, install a fresh copy of the drivers and check back.

Heat is also a problem after a while, check your temps.

Another thing, like others mentioned, it could very well be the DRM, their servers are almost always down or with problems, although this would cause you to stop playing completely
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2010   #7
MisterAlexGuy

Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AstaLaVista View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MisterAlexGuy View Post
The videocard driver is current and I've been downloading/installing all Windows updates as they're released.

Thanks in advance.
The video card may be current but if you allowed Windows Update to update your drivers, there could be some corruption there. DO NOT let windows update update your drivers (Audio & Video) do these manually.

Download latest drivers, save to a temp folder, uninstall drivers, if you use Nvidia cards, uninstall PhysX as well, restart, install a fresh copy of the drivers and check back.

Heat is also a problem after a while, check your temps.

Another thing, like others mentioned, it could very well be the DRM, their servers are almost always down or with problems, although this would cause you to stop playing completely
Thanks for the tips! I checked all that and I was good to go.

The problem turned out to be a virus. My friend installed stuff on my computer in my absence, and it had been making repeated outbound communications or whatever you call that. So I'm going to reformat later this weekend.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2010   #8
MisterAlexGuy

Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nickiler View Post
Next time your playing the game press the Windows key on your keyboard which will pop you back to your desktop while the game is running in the background and check the task manager see what's happening. Maybe a memory leak in the game causing RAM overload.

Also, check your event logs and paste the most recent errors before the failure. This can sometimes lead to solving your problem.

Nick

Thanks for the tip! It turned out to be a virus from something my friend installed in my absence.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 SC: Conviction - no problems previously, now repeated slowdowns




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Slowdowns, crashes, BSODs
Shortly after starting, my computer will usually either glitch and hang, or eventually BSOD. Previously, I found my PSU was over-volting. Replacing the PSU did not solve the problem. The last crash dump file is attached; all of them can be attached, if needed. System specs can be provided;...
BSOD Help and Support
Unusual freezes and slowdowns
I have been experiencing unusual freezes for the last couple of months. Most of the time, the computer runs fast and smooth, but randomly, it freezes for a 30s-2min interval. It is extremely frustrating and confusing. It is not your usual freeze or a slowdown. It happens when I am running...
Performance & Maintenance
Post-SP1 slowdowns
For whatever reason, after dozens of restarts, SP1 takes about 8 more seconds to bootup. Every time. After the boot logo goes away, it usually takes a second or two to go to my login screen. It stays at a black screen for about 5-8 seconds. No HDD activity light or anything. This did NOT happen...
Windows Updates & Activation
Splinter Cell: Conviction Problems. Help needed!
Now these are my system specs: Intel i3 530 RAM: 2GB DDR3 GPU: 1GB HD 5770 OS: Windows 7 64 bit Now the error I get is that during system validation the error it gives is that "2GB RAM minium required". This happens despite me already having 2GB RAM.
Gaming
Win 7 64 bit slowdowns high disk activity
Hi Everyone, I had previously started a thread: http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/91406-win-7-64bit-clean-install-then-massive-slowdown.html#post787820 in the performance section, which discussed my issues, from which we concluded was hardware related. I am not sure...
Hardware & Devices
Random Slowdowns
ok I play an online RTS game called call of combat and during points when I'm playing the program's F.P.S decreases and then the program closes any ideas on how to fix it and I use Report Date: 04/04/2009 Report Time: 12:50:24 Driver Version: 7.14.10.1504 Operating System: Windows 7...
Gaming

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:31.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App