Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Adding Old Games to Games Panel


07 Sep 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Adding Old Games to Games Panel

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to manually add a game to the games panel.

I have Oblivion and would like to add a shortcut in the games panel but can't figure out how (if) it can be done. I also need to be able to control all of the details of the shortcut because of launching the game differently to allow for loading mods.

TIA!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Sep 2010   #2
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

Hello SailingNut,

This may be able to help with this.

Games Explorer Folder - Add Games To

or

Games Explorer Folder - Add Games to (Steam)

Hope this helps,
Shawn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2010   #3

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

Yes, you can. If you right click on the executable, pin to start menu. Then drag the shortcut to the games folder.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Sep 2010   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Follow the instructions carefully for the "Add games to" Tutorial Brink linked.

It works very well.

You can also make your own custom box art if you so choose, just name it the same as the one Windows auto downloads and replace it

I'm assuming your ultimate goal is to have a context menu for Oblivion, similar to my Fallout one in this snip. My "Play" option for this game is actually the FOSE loader.


To do this, after you get the game listed in the Game explorer like you want it, follow the steps in this Tutorial.
Games Explorer Folder - Customize Context Menu


Attached Thumbnails
Adding Old Games to Games Panel-untitled.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thanks for all of the information!

I got the icon to show up in the games explorer, but I can't seem to change what executable it launches.

I changed it in RegEdit but no luck. (Might need to reboot though.)

One other thing is that I'd like to change the default action to "run as administrator"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2010   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

The tutorial I linked will show how to add the context menus.

Whatever is in Folder "0", labeled as "Play" is what it will launch when you double click the icon from game Explorer.
You need to delete the Play shortcut, replace it with the app you want to launch, and name it Play.

The folders 1 and up will be options.

Once you do all the steps in the tutorial Brink Linked, you can then edit these things. remember, Folder 0 must be labeled as "Play" , regardless what shortcut you put there.


To have the app always prompt for Admin privlage, simply navigate to its main location.
Right Click the exe you want to runas Admin, choose Compatability, and check the "Run this program" as Admin box.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)
 
 

Try this. It works great for me - Vista Games Explorer Editor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2010   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
The tutorial I linked will show how to add the context menus.

Whatever is in Folder "0", labeled as "Play" is what it will launch when you double click the icon from game Explorer.
You need to delete the Play shortcut, replace it with the app you want to launch, and name it Play.

The folders 1 and up will be options.

Once you do all the steps in the tutorial Brink Linked, you can then edit these things. remember, Folder 0 must be labeled as "Play" , regardless what shortcut you put there.


To have the app always prompt for Admin privlage, simply navigate to its main location.
Right Click the exe you want to runas Admin, choose Compatability, and check the "Run this program" as Admin box.
That worked great, thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Guntmeister View Post
Try this. It works great for me - Vista Games Explorer Editor

Unfortunately, the program crashed on startup. Not sure it's Windows 7 ready yet
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2010   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SailingNut View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Guntmeister View Post
Try this. It works great for me - Vista Games Explorer Editor

Unfortunately, the program crashed on startup. Not sure it's Windows 7 ready yet
I have been using it on Win 7 successfully for over a year. Strange it won't work for you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Adding Old Games to Games Panel




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33