|20 Dec 2010||#1|
| || |
Installing Warcraft 3 Maps in Windows 7
I had a problem with installing new maps on Warcraft 3, which was a problem because a new DOTA map comes out on a regular basis. So I figured out how to fix it and thought I would share what I learned, in case others are having the same problem.
The problem was that I would download a new map and put it in my "C:/Program Files (x86)/Warcraft 3/Maps/Download" folder, but it didn't work. The game couldn't find the map files unless I downloaded them in-game. The cause of the problem was that Windows 7 uses a "virtual storage" system. It saves downloaded maps into a virtual copy of your Download folder rather than into the folder itself.
Here's the fix.
1) Right-click your Warcraft 3 game file and select "Run as administrator."
2) Exit the game.
3) Go to "Computer"
4) Click the "Organize" drop-down menu, then click "Folder and search options"
5) In the "View" tab, select "Show Hidden Files and Folders and Drives." Then click "OK."
6) Go to "Local Disk (C > Users > [Your User Name] > AppData > Local > Virtual Store > Program Files (x86) > Warcraft III > Maps
7) Right-click the "Download" folder and select "Send to > Desktop (as shortcut)."
8) Repeat steps 4 and 5, only this time select "Don't Show Hidden Files and Folders and Drives."
9) Return to your desktop. Now any time you download a new Warcraft map you can simply double-click the shortcut to the "Download" folder on your desktop and copy the downloaded map into this folder. The map should then be usable in-game.
The above is specifically for Warcraft III, but I imagine users of other games will probably have similar problems that require a similar solution.
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Installing Warcraft 3 Maps in Windows 7|
|BSOD installing World of Warcraft||BSOD Help and Support|
|Warcraft III on Windows 7 Ultimate x64||Gaming|
|BSOD when installing Warcraft III, when running Windows Update, etc.||BSOD Help and Support|
|Bing Maps turn-by-turn navigation released for Windows||News|
|Warcraft 3 and Windows 7 problem||Gaming|
|Warcraft III RoC + Warcraft III TFT Problem||Gaming|
|Need help on Windows 7 installing Warcraft. HELP PLEASE||Gaming|
|Our Sites ||Site Links ||About Us ||Find Us |
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.