Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Games won't run on Win7 x64 ANY of them

26 Feb 2011   #11
kemical
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit SP1
 
 

I run in 64bit and games run fine..
Is your machine running the latest bios update? Also drivers such as chipset, networking and sound are all equally as important as the gpu version so please make sure these are updated. (apologies if you have already done so).

Lastly I know you said you were sure it wasn't a heat problem but do you know what your actual temps are?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Feb 2011   #12
AstaLaVista

Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Other than people having driver issues like any other driver issue they may experience with a whole host of hardware including Nvidia, or cough cough Windows itself. Where is proof that CCC "sucks" other then your conjecture???

The OP needs real world help with a real world issue..... not an opinion on a piece of software you don't use.
I thought I was giving him real world help since I just had the issue.
I didn't want to type or post the many sites I visited and read on that problem so I thought I just shortened it a bit but you are right, Nvidia has had issues as well but I find it easier than ATI to find stand-alone drivers instead of having to download the whole Catalyst thing from the ATI site. Again, this could be because I hardly ever use ATI so I was hoping you guys would jump in and point him to the driver only

If you have a direct link, I would also like to have it as I would like to update my own drivers w/o the need to install the CCC.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2011   #13
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AstaLaVista View Post
If you have a direct link, I would also like to have it as I would like to update my own drivers w/o the need to install the CCC.
As for installing ATI drivers without CCC - Let me post that for you - ATI Radeon

As for finding drivers, you coud just go to AMD.com and click "Support & Drivers" - Global Provider of Innovative Graphics, Processors and Media Solutions | AMD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Feb 2011   #14
Tlakoyo

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
From experience ,I think you should choose the 11.1 and install the hotfix that pretty much will make it stable .
Ok let's see, no, I'm not doing OC'ing or any other fancy maneuver whatsoever , the stock frequency of my processor is 2.0 Ghz and it goes up to 2.6 Ghz with the Turbo boost thing (it does it by it self and that seems to be how it works on default settings). I've been looking for a suitable driver by myself, I'm not relying on windows to do it itself, and these are not steam games.

Yeah I've been doing research and tried many drivers, patches for the games, actualizations (windows', the games' and catalyst's), and compatibility modes, but none have proved efficient

Btw I downloaded and installed the 11.1 Catalyst install and the hotfix but it does not work what should I do now?


Attached Thumbnails
Games won't run on Win7 x64 ANY of them-amd1.jpg   Games won't run on Win7 x64 ANY of them-amd2.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2011   #15
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Since you have a laptop you need to go to your laptop manufacturer and get the Windows 7 drivers for your AMD Radeon HD 6850M video card. This whole issue you are having is because you are trying to use the wrong drivers!

"M" is for Mobility thus you need the "mobility" drivers. None of the drivers listed below will work for your card!



Bottom line is you need to first try and get the drivers from Acer. If that doesn't work you could try here.... AMD Radeon - though I didn't see the 6800 Mobility series drivers.

Good luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2011   #16
Tlakoyo

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Bottom line is you need to first try and get the drivers from Acer. If that doesn't work you could try here.... AMD Radeon - though I didn't see the 6800 Mobility series drivers.

Good luck.
You're so right, the driver provided by Acer is the one that works the most , it is also the one that I had from the beginning and brought me to this forum looking for help this 6850M driver provided by Acer is the one that leads to my games crashing after 5min of gameplay, any other driver, catalyst version or hotfix proposed through this post led to my games not even starting up, so I'm here again after all this installs and uninstalls just where I begun

About the AMD website, they indeed just show you the mobility graphic cards specs and features, but no driver whatsoever...

Looks like I'm having no luck so far...


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kemical View Post
I run in 64bit and games run fine..
Is your machine running the latest bios update? Also drivers such as chipset, networking and sound are all equally as important as the gpu version so please make sure these are updated. (apologies if you have already done so).

Lastly I know you said you were sure it wasn't a heat problem but do you know what your actual temps are?
You got 64bit and your games run fine.. what is you GPU? is it AMD (mobile version)? cuz I think that's the problem, these drivers don't work properly and there seems to be no update or patch for it so far... I now updated the BIOS but the problem persists, thanx for the advice though

And yeah, I may be wrong since I don't actually know the current temp nor do I know what temp it should be, but I have done no modifications to the hardware so it has the manufacturers default config, and I got the notebook 2 weeks ago. I mean, I don't do any CPU or GPU intensive tasks for hours and then jump into gaming right after ... the laptop belly doesn't feel specially hot (I know I'm being too subjective, but c'mon I don't think that's the problem)... I'd say its a drivers problem.. right?

Needless to say, the games crash after 5 min of gameplay, is that enough for it to overheat? I hear the fan working with a consistent and smooth bsssssss like a whisper in your ear XD


Attached Thumbnails
Games won't run on Win7 x64 ANY of them-ac1.jpg   Games won't run on Win7 x64 ANY of them-ac2.jpg   Games won't run on Win7 x64 ANY of them-ac3.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2011   #17
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tlakoyo View Post
You're so right, the driver provided by Acer is the one that works the most , it is also the one that I had from the beginning and brought me to this forum looking for help this 6850M driver provided by Acer is the one that leads to my games crashing after 5min of gameplay, any other driver, catalyst version or hotfix proposed through this post led to my games not even starting up, so I'm here again after all this installs and uninstalls just where I begun

About the AMD website, they indeed just show you the mobility graphic cards specs and features, but no driver whatsoever...
As for video card drivers if Acer is the only one that has the 6850M drivers for your card you'll have to use them. Why there are giving you problems I don't know. But if you'll suffering heating issues ie card overheating after five minutes you could have a cooling issue. Notebooks do tend to get hot but I don't understand why you shouldn't be able to play a game for more than 5 minutes. You might give Acer tech support a call.

As for not finding Mobility Drivers at AMD's site.... did you click any of the drop down boxes? cause this clearly shows mobility drivers.....

Games won't run on Win7 x64 ANY of them-capture.jpg

Unfortunately they don't show the 6800 series drivers though


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tlakoyo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kemical View Post
I run in 64bit and games run fine..
Is your machine running the latest bios update? Also drivers such as chipset, networking and sound are all equally as important as the gpu version so please make sure these are updated. (apologies if you have already done so).

Lastly I know you said you were sure it wasn't a heat problem but do you know what your actual temps are?
You got 64bit and your games run fine.. what is you GPU? is it AMD (mobile version)? cuz I think that's the problem, these drivers don't work properly and there seems to be no update or patch for it so far... I now updated the BIOS but the problem persists, thanx for the advice though
As for gaming on Windows 7 64-bit..... I game just fine with my ATI 6950 using the latest Catalyst drivers (11.2). Most gamers here are using the 64-bit version just fine for gaming.

Some of the older games played on the OS.....
Deus EX - (though graphics need tweaking)
Far Cry (the original)
All the FEAR games
Half-Life 1 & 2 series (steam versions)
Crysis

New(er) games
Dead Space 1 & 2
Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Bioshock 1 & 2
Dragon Age/Dragon Age 2 demo

Point???? Windows 7 handles games just fine if you have the right hardware. See my system specs.

Anyways I have no other suggestions for you at this moment but you can check this site/forum here - Radeon Mobility support - Rage3D Discussion Area. Maybe they can help. I'm also registered there but I don't visit that section since I don't have a laptop.

BTW have you looked through my tips guide? - Tips on Troubleshooting Game Issues

Good luck


My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2011   #18
kemical
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tlakoyo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Bottom line is you need to first try and get the drivers from Acer. If that doesn't work you could try here.... AMD Radeon - though I didn't see the 6800 Mobility series drivers.

Good luck.
You're so right, the driver provided by Acer is the one that works the most , it is also the one that I had from the beginning and brought me to this forum looking for help this 6850M driver provided by Acer is the one that leads to my games crashing after 5min of gameplay, any other driver, catalyst version or hotfix proposed through this post led to my games not even starting up, so I'm here again after all this installs and uninstalls just where I begun

About the AMD website, they indeed just show you the mobility graphic cards specs and features, but no driver whatsoever...

Looks like I'm having no luck so far...


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kemical View Post
I run in 64bit and games run fine..
Is your machine running the latest bios update? Also drivers such as chipset, networking and sound are all equally as important as the gpu version so please make sure these are updated. (apologies if you have already done so).

Lastly I know you said you were sure it wasn't a heat problem but do you know what your actual temps are?
You got 64bit and your games run fine.. what is you GPU? is it AMD (mobile version)? cuz I think that's the problem, these drivers don't work properly and there seems to be no update or patch for it so far... I now updated the BIOS but the problem persists, thanx for the advice though

And yeah, I may be wrong since I don't actually know the current temp nor do I know what temp it should be, but I have done no modifications to the hardware so it has the manufacturers default config, and I got the notebook 2 weeks ago. I mean, I don't do any CPU or GPU intensive tasks for hours and then jump into gaming right after ... the laptop belly doesn't feel specially hot (I know I'm being too subjective, but c'mon I don't think that's the problem)... I'd say its a drivers problem.. right?

Needless to say, the games crash after 5 min of gameplay, is that enough for it to overheat? I hear the fan working with a consistent and smooth bsssssss like a whisper in your ear XD
It is not unknown for temps to be high even with new machines and so just for peace of mind I'd rather know than not.
Try this free app:
MSI Afterburner

This will allow you to monitor temps as well as a whole host of other features.

Lastly, if this machine is only two weeks old I would ask if it has a warranty? If so, why not return it and let them sort it out... After all you've paid good money for what should be a working machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2011   #19
ezeht

 
 

Hi

I may not help but- I was reading thinking. All you guys talk about is the gpu. What about the min cpu specs for them games. Would not most older or newer games min be like 2.4 or 2.7gig. Is turbo boosts meant to run for hours of gaming- if so how long can a lap top put up with the heat. Folks have heat probs in full tower cases 100 fans or wet cooling when gaming. how much more of a prob can heat be for a lap top?

I mean no harm- I am just asking my self and trying to help maybe- but I have never had a lap top- maybe they are special or something min specs do not matter so much, but again you are talking about gaming on a lap top and not just cards 5 card draw what ever. I do know mobile stuff uses less power- less heat etc. My lap top would be like a large phone for surfing the net. maybe play hl2 if need be but thats it.

I use amd intel ati nv what ever is best for my money budget- I prefer nv vid cards mostly for physx maybe- nv seems to have less game problems in general. I think the largest prob is gaming on lap tops, maybe if the cpu was 2.7 gig or more would help- All the other specs seem nice- great for general web surfing what ever- not a real game machine.

Have you tried maybe a valave game like hl2- it has low system specs- you can try it just to see if it works- Maybe you can lower game quality settings in them games- Google- maybe you can start the games in dx9 just to see if they work. I am not sure if you can right click the game exe' or not and get them to start in dx9 maybe- but you can google or some here might know.

Maybe you can tweak the game' from its main file before trying to run it. Check for some tweak guides for the games- might be the best for fastest way to find to the right files and line to change with note pad what ever. Lower shadows to medium lower other settings to medium if need be. It might not start at all if your cpu is not powerful enough?

It could be as simple as your cpu is not enough for the games- maybe turbo does not kick in or count until after the game has started- maybe it is seeing just 2gig and does not even try- I dont know. I would also guess drivers- chip set- or sound maybe.

I hope you get it going- seems near half the game probs are lap tops. Good luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2011   #20
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

@ ezeht, I would agree. However the OP has stated he has a GPU drivers issue.

Anyways if you look through my tips guide - Tips on Troubleshooting Game Issues (which was linked) systems requirements are at the top of the list

Quote:
Now, a word about Minimum Vs Recommended system specs for games. Most gamers are aware that in order to get the best possible performance out of a game they need to "exceed" the "Recommended" requirements of said game. Notice I said "exceed the Recommended". Check out Fallout 3's System requirements. Really??? I think we can all agree that Minimum means barely plays at the lowest settings. Honestly….Don’t expect too much out of today’s games using "Minimum" System Requirements. My opinion
Whether the games the OP is trying to play meets the minimum system requirements or not is something they need to check out for themselves. If you are going to buy a game you should know if your system can run it.... before hand.

The other thing you bring up is the load put on a laptop during a gaming session. I've never had a laptop myself, but if you're going to do some intensive tasks like gaming, then you need to make sure the PC is properly cooled. Since we don't physically have the machine we can't say if the machine is properly cooled or not.... If the OP says the system is cooled, then we have to take his/her word for it.

Anyways I'm of the mind that if the machine is designed to game, then it should be designed with cooling in mind. Since the OP has a 6850M GPU I'm of the opinion that cooling isn't an issue, and that the machine should be able to game longer than an hour.

My two cents.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Games won't run on Win7 x64 ANY of them




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Question to Win7 and Windows Games
I wanted to ask, if games, who are compatible to Windows XP and Windows Vista, run on Windows 7 too? I wanted to buy a game over the internet, it says it runs at Windos XP and Vista, as its an older game from time, when Windows 7 wasn't released. So, will the games run or not? greets One...
General Discussion
My Games have low fps in Win7 x64 in comparison to Win XP x64
I have a dual boot of these two OS and my rig is: intel core 2 duo 2.93ghz, ram 4gb DDR-2 , Intel DG41RQ motherboard, XFX ati Radeon 4670... with this rig i can play fifa 11 at my XP with max setting at 60fps no lagging, perfect. But when i play it in win7 with same settings, the fps goes down to...
Gaming
Games on win7
Hello everybody I am having problems playing games. I mean they run really really slow. I am trying to play Tropico 3 at 800*600, all settings on minimum and still am getting really bad FPS. I had no problems with it in Vista 64 but in win7 I can barely play any games. I tried reinstalling the...
Gaming
running old games on win7
Having probs trying to run Ultimate Race Pro and i have tried all the options to make it work anyone got a fix for this as i know its an old game but come on i thought win7 would have been able to run it.
Gaming
Best overall option for older games on Win7 64x?
I'm weighing my options with the realization that I won't be able to satifactoraly play most of my pre-2005 games on my shiney new Win7 Home Premium 64x OS. Which of the following would be my best option: 1. Install Virtual PC (can't use XP Mode) with my Windows XP 32bit ISO 2. Install XP...
Gaming
Games in Win7 Media Centre
Hello, I have say 15 games I play with my wireless xbox controller on my htpc. Games like Dirt, Grid, Fallout 3 etc How can I launch these with the remote from within MC? I presume a third party application will be needed to display thums/links? Please help, I know there were some ways of...
Media Center


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App