OK. I noticed Fallout New Vegas has a new patch through Steam. Cool. So I go to update the game. Ding..... "Game blocked for current user by Windows Parental Control".... huh
- OK...... Nothing using Steam (including Steam itself) is blocked.... just New Vegas.
- I'm the only user on my machine thus no Parental Controls for a single user with Admin rights
- Since I just bought a new router I check to make sure parental controls are off.... they are.
- Windows Firewall is set to allow Steam (and thus all Steam games) through. No Issue there.
- MSE isn't blocking anything.
What the hell
Hmmm..... let me see something...... check security settings of the game's folder (fallout new vegas). I check, and what do you know...... I have no permissions - nothing
Clicking the security tab showed that the only user under the Group or user names:
– no Administrators or user profile.
BTW it needs to be stated that this is a separate HD that I use for all my games, so anytime I reinstall my OS on a separate drive Permissions on the other drives get screwy.
At any rate adding my user profile as well as Administrator and a couple of others solved the problem.
So what the purpose of this post?
- Windows Parental Control notifications can be masked for something else
- If you ever have a game issue check the permissions of the game’s folder/files.
- If you ever get a "Game is blocked" and you’re sure it’s not due to Parental/Firewall/AV controls, again, check the security tab for permissions.
BTW I mention this in my Tips on Troubleshooting Game Issues
, step 14 (Permissions)
A few tutorials......
- Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups
- Parental Controls - Setup and Use
- Windows Firewall - Add or Remove an Exception
Just FYI Info