|26 Apr 2011||#1|
| || |
Windows Parental Control issue???
OK. I noticed Fallout New Vegas has a new patch through Steam. Cool.
So I go to update the game. Ding..... "Game blocked for current user by Windows Parental Control".... huh
- OK...... Nothing using Steam (including Steam itself) is blocked.... just New Vegas.
- I'm the only user on my machine thus no Parental Controls for a single user with Admin rights
- Since I just bought a new router I check to make sure parental controls are off.... they are.
- Windows Firewall is set to allow Steam (and thus all Steam games) through. No Issue there.
- MSE isn't blocking anything.
What the hell
Hmmm..... let me see something...... check security settings of the game's folder (fallout new vegas). I check, and what do you know...... I have no permissions - nothing
Clicking the security tab showed that the only user under the Group or user names: was System – no Administrators or user profile.
BTW it needs to be stated that this is a separate HD that I use for all my games, so anytime I reinstall my OS on a separate drive Permissions on the other drives get screwy.
At any rate adding my user profile as well as Administrator and a couple of others solved the problem.
So what the purpose of this post?
- Windows Parental Control notifications can be masked for something else
- If you ever have a game issue check the permissions of the game’s folder/files.
- If you ever get a "Game is blocked" and you’re sure it’s not due to Parental/Firewall/AV controls, again, check the security tab for permissions.
BTW I mention this in my Tips on Troubleshooting Game Issues, step 14 (Permissions)
A few tutorials......
- Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups
- Parental Controls - Setup and Use
- Windows Firewall - Add or Remove an Exception
Just FYI Info
|My System Specs|
|26 Apr 2011||#3|
| || |
I belive its most likley an issue as displayed on here Help with Steam. | Video Game Online Forums & Community | Game Platform Discussions for Video Games - GameTrailers.com
Its bfbc2, I think its the same issue though.
"Steam didn't have the required access to access its own damn "steamapps" folder. I rage'd."
Sorry if this is no help!
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Windows Parental Control issue???|
|How to monitor with windows family safety parental control||Browsers & Mail|
|Parental Control Annoyance||System Security|
|Can't use Parental Control to users||General Discussion|
|Parental Time Control||Software|
|Parental Control Problem||General Discussion|
|parental control||System Security|
|Q?:parental control||General Discussion|
|Our Sites ||Site Links ||About Us ||Find Us |
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.