Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Boyfriend and I cannot play certain games together


08 Jul 2011   #1

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 
Boyfriend and I cannot play certain games together

Hi all.
While I have basic knowledge of this kind of thing, this is beyond my knowledge and I'm hoping to get some insight from you guys.

There are certain games, specifically games that use P2P connections that we cannot play together without not being able to connect or some kind of ridiculous lag.

This time, it's DFO, which uses P2P in dungeons. We both have disabled our firewalls, made firewall exceptions for DFO on all ports, tried using Hamachi by setting up a network, however we were unable to ping eachother, and as a last resort have enabled DMZ; all to no avail. Is there anyway he could get a different IP address from me? Playing on the same connection has given us both the same IP addresses.

Any insight?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jul 2011   #2

W7 Professional x64
 
 

So both of your IP addresses are the same on your computers?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2011   #3

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

Sorry, I forgot to mention that we play in the same house and connection. Both of our IP addresses (from whatismyip.com) are the same.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Jul 2011   #4

W7 Professional x64
 
 

try on one of your machines opening cmd.exe from the start menu, and type ipconfig /release and hit enter, then type ipconfig /renew

This might work, and if not, then your wireless or wired router might be causing the problem
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2011   #5
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

It could well be that the game itself won't accept more than one connection from a single IP. If that is what it is as long as you are both behind the same modem/router there isn't much you can do.

Quote:
Is there anyway he could get a different IP address from me?
From you no. He/you would need to wither get a second IP address from your ISP (which a lot don't/won't do), or a second internet connection.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2011   #6

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LiquidSnak View Post
try on one of your machines opening cmd.exe from the start menu, and type ipconfig /release and hit enter, then type ipconfig /renew

This might work, and if not, then your wireless or wired router might be causing the problem
We both did that and our IP from whatismyip.com stayed the same, although our IPv4 addresses under IP config are different. Which would be the problem?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2011   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pandasaurus View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LiquidSnak View Post
try on one of your machines opening cmd.exe from the start menu, and type ipconfig /release and hit enter, then type ipconfig /renew

This might work, and if not, then your wireless or wired router might be causing the problem
We both did that and our IP from whatismyip.com stayed the same, although our IPv4 addresses under IP config are different. Which would be the problem?
It could be either depending on the game. Your WAN address is going to be the same so long as you are both behind the same modem. That is the address whatismyip is giving.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2011   #8

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

^So do you think there is there any way to fix this problem besides purchasing another internet connection? It's only on P2P games and to my understanding, this has to do with the same public IP trying to make two connections with the other player.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2011   #9

W7 Professional x64
 
 

You could try talking to your ISP and explain that you need two different IP addresses, one for each of your computers. If they try to say they can't do it, threaten them with finding someone who can.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2011   #10

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LiquidSnak View Post
You could try talking to your ISP and explain that you need two different IP addresses, one for each of your computers. If they try to say they can't do it, threaten them with finding someone who can.
I'll be contacting them tonight then.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Boyfriend and I cannot play certain games together




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33