Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Questions about gaming


21 Jul 2009   #1

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
Questions about gaming

I am building a computer that "might" be able to run Crysis. I am getting a new video card (GTX260 or GTX275) and would like to do some gaming. I am thinking about ordering Crysis (3 pack that includes Crysis, Crysis wars, and Crysis warhead) Are these games controlled by keyboard and mouse? Would there be a better game for a beginner to try? Do these games run from the disk in the DVD drive or do they install?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Jul 2009   #2

 
 

All games tend to 'Install to disk' these days and generaly use the DVD for playing in-game movies.

If your machine meets these
Minimum System Requirements

- Processor: Athlon 64 3000+/Intel 2.8ghz
- RAM: 768Mb/1Gb on Windows Vista
- Video Memory: NVIDIA 6800 256MB
- Only supplied on DVD?: Yes
- Hard Drive Space: 6GB
- Operating System: Windows XP / Windows Vista
- DirectX Version: DX9.0c / DX10

Recommended System Requirements

- Processor: Dual-core CPU (Athlon X2/Pentium D)
- RAM: 2GB
- Video Memory: NVIDIA 8800
- Hard Drive Space: 6GB
Then you should have no issues

Source

Also, i've not played Crysis but believe that any game is good to run even if you're a first-time gamer. Most games use at least some mouse/keyboard configuration...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2009   #3

Windows 7 x64 Build 7600.16384
 
 

I have an 8800 640 MB gfx card (o/c to 600/900). It plays most of the game ok on medium to high settings but some places I only get around 8-10 fps. Considering the card you are planning on getting is at least 50% faster than mine, performance would still be pretty poor. Even though Crysis is two years old, it won't run smoothly on maximum settings unless you are running it on the IBM Roadrunner which has about 20,000 CPUs. A bit overkill just so you can play a 2 year old game at decent settings though. :'(
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Jul 2009   #4

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Orbital Shark View Post
All games tend to 'Install to disk' these days and generaly use the DVD for playing in-game movies.

If your machine meets these
Minimum System Requirements

- Processor: Athlon 64 3000+/Intel 2.8ghz
- RAM: 768Mb/1Gb on Windows Vista
- Video Memory: NVIDIA 6800 256MB
- Only supplied on DVD?: Yes
- Hard Drive Space: 6GB
- Operating System: Windows XP / Windows Vista
- DirectX Version: DX9.0c / DX10

Recommended System Requirements

- Processor: Dual-core CPU (Athlon X2/Pentium D)
- RAM: 2GB
- Video Memory: NVIDIA 8800
- Hard Drive Space: 6GB
Then you should have no issues

Source

Also, i've not played Crysis but believe that any game is good to run even if you're a first-time gamer. Most games use at least some mouse/keyboard configuration...
I can beat those specs. I don't think you would have much luck with a system like that.

Thanks for the info, do most gamers use a USB controller of some sort or just keyboard/mouse?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2009   #5
NLS

Windows 7 RC1
 
 

Well, the 360 controller works with Crysis, but I'd recommend using keyboard&mouse setup, as in most FPS games for PC. Alternatively, you can have the 360 controller plugged in and in your lap just for the vibrating feedback lol.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2009   #6

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Well, the 360 controller works with Crysis, but I'd recommend using keyboard&mouse setup, as in most FPS games for PC. Alternatively, you can have the 360 controller plugged in and in your lap just for the vibrating feedback lol.
Well thanks. I'll pass on the vibrating feedback in the "lap" though. lol

I think i'll just try Crysis and see how it goes. I can get 3 games for like 30 bucks. I'll go from there and see if I get into gaming. Never tried it. The last games I played were on the Nintendo and Atari. haha
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2009   #7

Windows 7 Professional x64 (MSDN)
 
 

I'm personally not a fan of Crysis myself, but hey, that is me :P If you are looking for an FPS I doubt anyone could argue against Half-Life 2 as being the all-time greatest PC FPS. It's a bit older, but still looks fantastic imo.

As for handling it... Yeah, that hardware should be fine for medium-high settings. You'll need either in SLI to really start pushing the settings though. I'd suspect a minimum FPS of 20 at worst with a 295, with 30 generally accepted as good enough for gameplay and 60FPS being the magic mark most can't tell the difference beyond.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2009   #8

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snives View Post
I'm personally not a fan of Crysis myself, but hey, that is me :P If you are looking for an FPS I doubt anyone could argue against Half-Life 2 as being the all-time greatest PC FPS. It's a bit older, but still looks fantastic imo.

As for handling it... Yeah, that hardware should be fine for medium-high settings. You'll need either in SLI to really start pushing the settings though. I'd suspect a minimum FPS of 20 at worst with a 295, with 30 generally accepted as good enough for gameplay and 60FPS being the magic mark most can't tell the difference beyond.
Thanks, I was wondering what other games would be good to try. Maybe Half-Life 2 would be worth a shot. Are you saying a GTX295 would be about 20FPS at worst?.....I thought it would be better.....but I don't know much about frame rates for these games. I will probably end up with a GTX260 or GTX275. My board does not support SLI (it supports Crossfire) Anyway, thanks for the info.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2009   #9

Windows 7 x64 Build 7600.16384
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snives View Post
I'm personally not a fan of Crysis myself, but hey, that is me :P If you are looking for an FPS I doubt anyone could argue against Half-Life 2 as being the all-time greatest PC FPS. It's a bit older, but still looks fantastic imo.
Absolutely agreed, but make sure you download the Cinematic Mod version 10 beta 2. It makes the game look amazing, almost as good as Crysis and even on my humble system it works as smooth as ever. Mind you, you ideally need 3 GB RAM or more and 64 bit, but I'm pretty sure it's not actually a requirement in spite of what it says in the readme. Also, bear in mind its nearly 10 gigs to download. :O
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2009   #10

Windows 7 Professional x64 (MSDN)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nate42nd View Post
Thanks, I was wondering what other games would be good to try. Maybe Half-Life 2 would be worth a shot. Are you saying a GTX295 would be about 20FPS at worst?.....I thought it would be better.....but I don't know much about frame rates for these games. I will probably end up with a GTX260 or GTX275. My board does not support SLI (it supports Crossfire) Anyway, thanks for the info.
Have no worries Nate, that is me being pessimistic. The only assumption I can make anymore about Crysis is that the engine must be horribly coded because even though it has amazing graphics I wouldn't call them graphics that are 2-3 generations ahead of its time which is how it performs. That is honestly a big part of what I disliked about it. The game has led to way to many people throwing away thousands of dollars trying to make it run better to no avail. Also, minimum FPS doesn't mean it will stay there, it means it might spike down for a couple seconds.

@Dakana That one I have never heard about. Sounds like I've got something to be downloading about now :P
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Questions about gaming




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33