Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Sharing a quick warning for steam users

27 Jul 2009   #1
damoh

Windows 7 RTM x64
 
 
Sharing a quick warning for steam users

Hi all
Thought i would share this with u all, just incase. Please all steam users scan your PC. This is what virus i found last night, strange thing is i havent downloaded anything recently which makes me think it may be one of them time virus things.
I tried to delete the following virus
SDbot.gen!f

I used MSE and it said it couldnt delete it however it did quarantine. 20 minutes later my steam got hacked. Ive had to buy all games again ( long story which steam basically said tough)
So if you do scan and find it, please please change your pass quick.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Jul 2009   #2
mickey megabyte

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

thanks for the warning!

did this virus infect your machine even though you had mse running? worrying.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2009   #3
damoh

Windows 7 RTM x64
 
 

Well thing is that i only installed MSE yesterday lol. So im wondering how long it was on there for. Ive run a full scan both with AVG and MSE and only MSE detected it.
I may be paranoid, but i find it funny how when i try to remove it ( unsuccessfully) my steam hacks within minutes. I dont know enough about how viruses work to say wether me trying to remove it actaully activated it. Im concerned that AVG didnt detect it and still didnt after MSE had
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Jul 2009   #4
zay

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Sorry for your issue, I suggest you uninstall whatever AV you currently have, and install Avast and have it do a boot scan. You can remove avast afterwards if you want, and put MSE back on. I had issues where no other AV found what had infected my pc, and using Avast to do a boot scan fixed it right on up. I think it is worth a shot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2009   #5
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by damoh View Post
Well thing is that i only installed MSE yesterday lol. So im wondering how long it was on there for. Ive run a full scan both with AVG and MSE and only MSE detected it.
I may be paranoid, but i find it funny how when i try to remove it ( unsuccessfully) my steam hacks within minutes. I dont know enough about how viruses work to say wether me trying to remove it actaully activated it. Im concerned that AVG didnt detect it and still didnt after MSE had
Damoh

What specific virus did MSE find? sometimes mse gives false positives.

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #6
damoh

Windows 7 RTM x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Damoh

What specific virus did MSE find? sometimes mse gives false positives.

Ken

This one mate: SDbot.gen!f

I seem to have gotten rid of it, not before my steam got hijacked. But imho steam customer support has been 'flakey' at best. Told it can take upto 5 days for them to return my account to me. Then in the next breath im told that if said hacker does anything to my account which results in me getting a Vac ban then essentially tough.
Nice
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #7
ickymay

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by damoh View Post
This one mate: SDbot.gen!f

I seem to have gotten rid of it, not before my steam got hijacked. But imho steam customer support has been 'flakey' at best. Told it can take upto 5 days for them to return my account to me. Then in the next breath im told that if said hacker does anything to my account which results in me getting a Vac ban then essentially tough.
Nice
possibly "NAME: Randex
ALIAS: SdBot, Backdoor.SdBot.gen, Randex.C, Slanper.A
VARIANT: Randex.C


Randex is an IRC controlled worm, based on the well known SdBot IRC backdoor. This worm infects Windows computers on local networks that use weak passwords."

the weakness has been using IRC, check this site for details
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #8
damoh

Windows 7 RTM x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ickymay View Post
possibly "NAME: Randex
ALIAS: SdBot, Backdoor.SdBot.gen, Randex.C, Slanper.A
VARIANT: Randex.C


Randex is an IRC controlled worm, based on the well known SdBot IRC backdoor. This worm infects Windows computers on local networks that use weak passwords."

the weakness has been using IRC, check this site for details
Never used IRC in my life.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2009   #9
zay

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

I hope you get this resolved soon.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2009   #10
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

This shows that MSE works better than AVG.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Sharing a quick warning for steam users




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How to activate 'Quick Launch' for 'All Users'?
I managed to reactivate the 'Quick Launch' Folder under Win7. Disadvantage: I need to synchronize the content for every user. Means 'Quick Launch ' differs a lot from e.g. Start Menu\Programs or Autostart where I can place my content into the 'All Useres' branch and will see a combination of my...
General Discussion
windows 7 warning for outlook express users
I had to move up, should I say down, to Windows 7 from XP a few weeks back. If I had the time, I would have a bought another XP computer, but I had to have one that day and a problem forced me to get Windows 7. Unfortunately, it's worse than XP in many ways and I can't believe MS did it again. They...
Browsers & Mail
Sharing and C:\USers
I have a big problem with sharing. If i want to share anything in C:\Users folder, whole C:\users get shared. So if i want to share "C:\Users\Username\Documents\SharedFolder", it will share whole C:\Users folder and not just the one i selected. I have most of my data inside documents and on the...
Network & Sharing
Very quick question for avast users
If your running windows 7, can you please tell me when on the simple user interface, does clicking on the menu show any icons on the left?
System Security
Warning -- Firefox users please read!
How to disable the Firefox .NET Framework Assistant installed by MS. In a recent update of the .NET framework Microsoft silently installs an extension to your Firefox browser if it is found on your system. This extension enables websites you visit with Firefox to silently install software on...
System Security
Steam closes without warning - Win7 RC...
OK, so I just upgraded from Windows Vista Business x64 to Windows 7 RC x64. I didn't do a clean install, just did the upgrade method. Steam runs fine but as soon as I try to launch any games, it closes down without warning and with no error message of any kind. There was no problem in Windows...
Gaming

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App