Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Skyrim Audio Issue: Incredibly quiet game.


20 Nov 2011   #1

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 
Skyrim Audio Issue: Incredibly quiet game.

To start off, yes, everything is turned all the way up (windows, keyboard, game volume, volume mixer). Also everything else I play or do has perfect volume. But when I play Skyrim, I have to crank up my speakers to the point where there is a good amount of static before I can actually hear well. Nowhere in Skyrim's options include advanced audio settings.

I feel like the problem is that Skyrim thinks I have a 5.1 system, when in reality it's just a 2.1. I have no idea if anyone else is having this problem, but from my quick google searches, I've found nothing. I was hoping someone else could shed some light on this.

Thank you,
Daniel


edit:
I wanted to add that I am using the onboard audio and it uses realtek drivers and the realtek gui. I'm certain everything is set up correctly within there, but I noticed something that could be an issue. Even though this is more of a guess, I use many of the six audio ports for other things than their original purpose. For example, the orange port is used as an audio in, and the black port is used as another audio in since Realtek asks you "what did you just plug in". I'm wondering if Skyrim sees that I'm using those ports and thinks that I am using 5.1 or something, even though those ports are assigned different roles in my Realtek settings.

I will attempt to try playing Skyrim with only the green audio out plugged in later to see if that does anything for me. Chances are it won't, but I'm getting desperate.

edit: SOLVED -Thank you again V43L1N
Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by V43L1N
The game was designed to support 2.1, 5.1, and 7.1 sound. I don't think it has anything to do with Bethesda. It is certainly unfair to blame the company when this issue does not seem to be wide spread. I will do some checking around later this afternoon and see if I can come up with anything that might help. Hopefully we can come up with something that will allow you to experience the game as it should be!

~V

Edit: After reading, it seems this issue is happening exclusively with systems using the Realtek Integrated HD Audio.

I found this on the Bethesda forums: The user (Pyide) cites unknown sources.

"I forgot where I saw this (credit to you, unknown source!) but if you have Realtek onboard sound and are using stereo speakers or headphones, switch the speaker configuration to 5.1 and uncheck the center channel / sub / rear speaker options like so: http://img507.images...0/lowvolume.png

The game's audio will be extremely loud now (you've been warned!), and you'll still hear everything behind you and such. I couldn't say if the separation is better or worse but I can at least hear people talk and the music now.
Not sure if it'll work the same for other sound and system setups, I use headphones and it definitely helped my low volume problem"

Give this a shot and let me know how this works please!

~V


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Nov 2011   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Start the Task Manager (or any other window) and start Skyrim. When the game loads, don't turn up your speakers; instead alt-tab to the desktop and open the Mixer from the systray. Check the Skyrim app if the volume has been turned down from that system mixer.

Also, if you have headphones (or a webcam with its own mic) plugged into your PC, you should:
1. click the start orb and type "sound" into search, then choose sound from the list of search results under control panel
2. click on communications tab and change the setting to "do nothing". This blocks the volume from lowering when the system detects any communications activity.

It may be a good idea to quit and restart Skyrim after you do this, just in case the settings don't display any result right away.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Nov 2011   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gornot View Post
Start the Task Manager (or any other window) and start Skyrim. When the game loads, don't turn up your speakers; instead alt-tab to the desktop and open the Mixer from the systray. Check the Skyrim app if the volume has been turned down from that system mixer.

Also, if you have headphones (or a webcam with its own mic) plugged into your PC, you should:
1. click the start orb and type "sound" into search, then choose sound from the list of search results under control panel
2. click on communications tab and change the setting to "do nothing". This blocks the volume from lowering when the system detects any communications activity.

It may be a good idea to quit and restart Skyrim after you do this, just in case the settings don't display any result right away.
I honestly think it was the programmers thing. It also does this on Windows XP for me. Whenever I turn away from the person, you can hardly hear them. I think it was just the programmer doing a poor job with the sound & voices. It also does this to me in Windows 7, too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Nov 2011   #4

7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I've noticed this too, especially with the voice volume (and that's after going into the audio settings and turning the voices and master volume settings above everything else). I'm using a 300-Watt stereo as my speakers and the voices are still whisper-quiet, so I also have cranked my volume up. I don't think it's anything to do with settings either, probably just how they recorded all of the voices and that type of thing. Perhaps they will fix it in a later patch, or else a modder will.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Nov 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by EvilOzzmess View Post
I've noticed this too, especially with the voice volume (and that's after going into the audio settings and turning the voices and master volume settings above everything else). I'm using a 300-Watt stereo as my speakers and the voices are still whisper-quiet, so I also have cranked my volume up. I don't think it's anything to do with settings either, probably just how they recorded all of the voices and that type of thing. Perhaps they will fix it in a later patch, or else a modder will.
lol We can only hope. They sure did screw a few things up in this one just because they decided to port it. Baaaaad idea.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Nov 2011   #6

Windows 7 Home premium 64bit SP1
 
 

how high up do you have the frequency? i had to lower mine for the audio to work on COD WAW to 24bit 44100hz. Before i had it at 48000hz that helped my audio problem try changing the frequency maybe it will work
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Nov 2011   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, & Mac OS X 10.9.2
 
 

I have no control of skyrims audio when in game, my keyboard volume control does not work and nor does my surround headset.

The only way I can adjust the sound in game is to unplug my headset and use my AV reciever remote to increase/decrease the optical feed volume

My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Nov 2011   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I don't really have these problems in Skyrim at all, and I'm still using a cheap 2.1 speaker system with one jack, so the system recognizes it as regular stereo. Yes, the game is a bit quiet than what we're accustomed to in games, but for me it's not nearly as bad as for you guys. Weird.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Nov 2011   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Ive not had these issues myself, but it does seem a few have.

Have you tried this tweak?


Quote from Steam page-

Quote:
How do I fix some sound issues, such as hearing static during NPC dialogue?


  1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Sound
  2. In the Playback tab, right click on Speakers (or whatever has a green tick next to it), then click Properties
  3. In the advanced tab on this new window, select 24 bit, 44100Hz (Studio Quality) in the drop down menu
Source:
Skyrim tweaks - Steam Users' Forums
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Nov 2011   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
Ive not had these issues myself, but it does seem a few have.

Have you tried this tweak?


Quote from Steam page-

Quote:
How do I fix some sound issues, such as hearing static during NPC dialogue?


  1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Sound
  2. In the Playback tab, right click on Speakers (or whatever has a green tick next to it), then click Properties
  3. In the advanced tab on this new window, select 24 bit, 44100Hz (Studio Quality) in the drop down menu
Source:
Skyrim tweaks - Steam Users' Forums
Problem with that for XP users is that they can't change that option. It's not anywhere in the sound options.

And Skyrim's audio options don't have anything other than volume options. And my Windows 7 is already set to 24-Bit volume, and the voice problem still persists. I'm just chalking it up to them doing an abysmal job with both porting it and the sound itself. Realistically, you can still hear people just fine when you turn away from them (or they're behind you). Every other game I play doesn't have this issue as Skyrim does.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Skyrim Audio Issue: Incredibly quiet game.




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33