Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Will a good intel i3 or i5 increase fps a lot?


01 Feb 2012   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 
Will a good intel i3 or i5 increase fps a lot?

Hello, at the moment I have this:

Model: Packard Bell iXtreme M3720
Motherboard: MCP73PVT-PM
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
Ram: 4GB
Graphics Card: Asus GeForce GTX 560 810MHz - (fully updated drivers)
Power Supply: OCZ 500w stealthxstream

and since i've had this new gtx 560 (previously had gt 240) I have seen a small fps increase in games such as Call of Duty Mw3, Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3, and Team Fortress 2. However smaller games such as Payday the Heist, CSS and Magicka have increased a lot.
What im asking is if I upgrade to a decent intel i3 or i5, will I see a big fps different.

Also to mention in BF3, no matter how low the graphics are the resolution, i still remain with the same fps. I can play on high settings and low settings and see no fps difference.

At the moment I get this FPS

MW3: 35fps - 60fps (rarely gets to 60) (Ran at 1600x900)
Battlefield 3: 25fps - 40fps (Ran at 1280x800)
Team Fortress 2: 35fps(in battle) to 80fps (no matter if maxed out or not) (Ran at 1600x900)

I feel the fps i get at the moment is extremely low for a gtx 560 and i was worried that my q8300 was bottlenecking but when i upgraded I was not expecting to see such as huge bottleneck and low fps in games.

Also sorry if i posted this in the wrong section.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Feb 2012   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

"good Intel i3 or i5" covers a large range.

The fastest i5 probably has a general CPU benchmark 3 times as high as the slowest i3.

Maybe you can be more specific.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2012   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
"good Intel i3 or i5" covers a large range.

The fastest i5 probably has a general CPU benchmark 3 times as high as the slowest i3.

Maybe you can be more specific.
Im just wondering if its my Q8300 CPU which is bottlenecking me massively and wondering if upgrading to a decent i3 or i5 processor (cheap but fast would be nice) would significantly increase the fps I get at the moment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Feb 2012   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DaCheese View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
"good Intel i3 or i5" covers a large range.

The fastest i5 probably has a general CPU benchmark 3 times as high as the slowest i3.

Maybe you can be more specific.
Im just wondering if its my Q8300 CPU which is bottlenecking me massively and wondering if upgrading to a decent i3 or i5 processor (cheap but fast would be nice) would significantly increase the fps I get at the moment.
I've got a slower processor than yourself and I don't see these slowdowns, same graphics card as well, name some of your games and i'll do a quick bench of them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2012   #5

Windows 7 Home premium 64bit SP1
 
 

yes it will help speed up applications that involve heavy 3d graphics, noticeably

I say go with a i5 there about 200usd and they are quad cores get it with a frequency around 2.5-3.0
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2012   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

It will help you in FPS but in mostly in those games which are CPU Intensive Titles.... Lets say i.e. GTA IV
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2012   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrNeeds View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DaCheese View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
"good Intel i3 or i5" covers a large range.

The fastest i5 probably has a general CPU benchmark 3 times as high as the slowest i3.

Maybe you can be more specific.
Im just wondering if its my Q8300 CPU which is bottlenecking me massively and wondering if upgrading to a decent i3 or i5 processor (cheap but fast would be nice) would significantly increase the fps I get at the moment.
I've got a slower processor than yourself and I don't see these slowdowns, same graphics card as well, name some of your games and i'll do a quick bench of them.
battlefield 3, bad company 2, black ops, mw3, tf2 or l4d2. Any of them would be nice to know.

Also someone recommended me to do a driver wipe, is that recommended?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2012   #8

Win7 Ult x64 SP1
 
 

of your system specs, BF3 & MW3 fps is so drop ... i guess there's something wrong with your system setting as a whole or just a graphic driver issue. Upgrading cpu can increase fps but not as much increase as when it's a cpu demanding games like gta iv.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2012   #9

Windows 7 Home premium 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DaCheese View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrNeeds View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DaCheese View Post

Im just wondering if its my Q8300 CPU which is bottlenecking me massively and wondering if upgrading to a decent i3 or i5 processor (cheap but fast would be nice) would significantly increase the fps I get at the moment.
I've got a slower processor than yourself and I don't see these slowdowns, same graphics card as well, name some of your games and i'll do a quick bench of them.
battlefield 3, bad company 2, black ops, mw3, tf2 or l4d2. Any of them would be nice to know.

Also someone recommended me to do a driver wipe, is that recommended?
it will help you in black ops, black ops is a bit cpu intensive
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Will a good intel i3 or i5 increase fps a lot?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Will a good intel i3 or i5 increase fps a lot?
Thread Forum
Intel Atom and 1GB of RAM good enough for VirtualBox? Hardware & Devices
Solved How do I increase Dedicated Video Memory on Intel HD 4000? Graphic Cards
How can i increase my vram on intel hd 3000? Graphic Cards
Solved Is it possible to increase bandwidth on Intel HD 4000 Graphic Cards
How good is the onboard Intel HD Audio? Sound & Audio
Whats a good processor to get(intel) Hardware & Devices
AMD Vs Intel, Can it be affordable and good to? Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33