Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Is PC gaming Being Done Away With?

21 Sep 2012   #61

Windows 7 Home premium 64bit SP1
 
 

I actually don't mind steam and should be the only type of DRM,only drm i hate is third party drm.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Sep 2012   #62

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by M1GU31 View Post
I actually don't mind steam and should be the only type of DRM,only drm i hate is third party drm.
lol Well, Steam is it's own DRM in a way. Program's required to be installed...that's basically a 3rd party program.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Sep 2012   #63

Windows 7 Professional x64 w/SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobafetthotmail View Post
Quote:
I've also heard that if you close your steam account, you lose all the games you've purchased through them
But afaik, the account isn't connected to the machine or the OS. In case your rig melts down, it just stays put in their servers awaiting you to connect another computer again.
Re-downloading everything is a major pita though.
The game files are installed locally on your machine so you can still play the games you bought. What you would lose is cloud saves, auto patching/patching and game achievements. Other than that the games will still work.
let me re-phrase that If you close your steam account, you can't re-register your games with the same key to a new account, as per section 10.B of their subscriber agreement

Also, I suppose I really don't mind steam, it's just the part it being required for some games that I don't like. I prefer to be able to play my games with or without any other program running.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Sep 2012   #64

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 
Ubisoft CEO claims 93-95 percent piracy

OK, I found this one a bit much to swallow. According to Ubisoft, I'm in the extreme minority of people who actually pay for their games as 95 percent of us (gamers) are pirates.

Quote:
Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot has told Gamesindustry International that paying players for its PC retail games and its free-to-play products are roughly equivalent. The executive said about 5 to 7 percent of free-to-play gamers purchase content from its games, which he claimed is about the same as paying users for its PC games, given a "93-95 percent piracy rate.
Source: Ubisoft CEO claims 93-95 percent piracy rate on its PC games - GameSpot.com

Sorry Mr. Yves Guillemot, but while I do acknowledge there are pirates out there who steal games, I find it hard to buy the 95 percent rate. In short I call BS.

In Other news.... Windows 8 Is A 'Catastrophe' According To Gabe Newell...

Quote:
Valve head—and one-time Microsoft employee—Gabe Newell has branded Windows 8 "a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space" at videogame conference Casual Connect in Seattle. The Valve boss continued, saying that in the fallout from Windows 8, "we'll lose some of the top-tier PC/OEMs, who will exit the market. I think margins will be destroyed for a bunch of people." Newell criticised Windows 8 while talking about the future of the gaming industry, and you can read everything he said at VentureBeat.
Source: Valve’s Newell: Windows 8 “catastrophe” driving Valve to embrace Linux | Ars Technica

I also read he feels Windows 8 will be too walled off. Read that in a PC magazine but can't find that snippert on line.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Sep 2012   #65

Windows 7 Home premium 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Richardc269 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by M1GU31 View Post
I actually don't mind steam and should be the only type of DRM,only drm i hate is third party drm.
lol Well, Steam is it's own DRM in a way. Program's required to be installed...that's basically a 3rd party program.
No by third part i mean like if i have to have steam then they add on a another layer of drm like ubisoft drm or securom.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2012   #66

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by M1GU31 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Richardc269 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by M1GU31 View Post
I actually don't mind steam and should be the only type of DRM,only drm i hate is third party drm.
lol Well, Steam is it's own DRM in a way. Program's required to be installed...that's basically a 3rd party program.
No by third part i mean like if i have to have steam then they add on a another layer of drm like ubisoft drm or securom.
I agree. I am fine with one kind of DRM and to be honest, Steam is rather easy to use and not really in the way. I hate it when I have some sh*t like SecuROM or Ubi-smth. additionally.
Some DRMs are so terribly coded that they alone are often times the reason for piracy (I guess).
The whole thing went so far that I only play two kinds of games nowadays: Blizzard Games and those that are available through Steam. Steam I am used to and it doesn't even feel like DRM as it is not obstructing/distracting me from playing the game.
In Blizzard Games, I don't even notice any DRM, their Blizzard Authenticator is really slick and a neat way to keep others out of my account
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2012   #67

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Just saying .......

Steam is the best we're going to get at this time xboxlive .Orgin and a few others are not that great

I have had Steam for a long time with low issue's versus the Rockstarclub BS

and UBI's shhh platform just to get the blasted thing to run you had to go through hell

I have had one game only that Steam gave me for free and does not work no matter what I do everything else is pretty sweet

anyway people really shouldn't down rate Steam vs all the other Game Managers

They hook you up offer you better deals and you come out on top with 3 games for the price of 1

there downloads might take a while but truth be told it depends on your Internet so people Bitching about it needs to just get a better ISP plan or deal with it seriously

This is the way of the future ,Digital downloading is the best way to keep people from stealing a copy a putting it out there it is tailor made for the system it is on unless the user specifies otherwise
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2012   #68

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
J
there downloads might take a while but truth be told it depends on your Internet so people Bitching about it needs to just get a better ISP plan or deal with it seriously
You are quite right. If you set your settings right in Steam, you get downloads as fast as your connection allows. I set it to max. speed and I get 11Mbyte/s download speed, which downloads everything in under half an hour.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2012   #69

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
Just saying .......

Steam is the best we're going to get at this time xboxlive .Orgin and a few others are not that great

I have had Steam for a long time with low issue's versus the Rockstarclub BS

and UBI's shhh platform just to get the blasted thing to run you had to go through hell

I have had one game only that Steam gave me for free and does not work no matter what I do everything else is pretty sweet

anyway people really shouldn't down rate Steam vs all the other Game Managers

They hook you up offer you better deals and you come out on top with 3 games for the price of 1

there downloads might take a while but truth be told it depends on your Internet so people Bitching about it needs to just get a better ISP plan or deal with it seriously

This is the way of the future ,Digital downloading is the best way to keep people from stealing a copy a putting it out there it is tailor made for the system it is on unless the user specifies otherwise
Even if said game is only digital, it'll still be cracked. Doesn't really matter to them, they'll just find out a way around it, even if you took out DVD/CD usage.

I'm not downrating steam. I just don't want a game manager.

Btw, some people can't get higher ISP. DSL/Dial-up is all you have in some areas (or none at all if the town's small enough).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2012   #70

Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate)
 
 

If I want a Game Manager, which for my gaming experience, this would be None-Existant, I will get one but it will be the one I WANT and not the one they want to shove down my throat. I believe (I can not be sure nor I really care) that Steam belongs to Valve? if so, I can understand why Asshats like Ubisoft would want to have their own DRM besides having Steam, so that makes it 2, then, EA would want their own (Origin?) that makes it 3 now, etc, etc, etc...

I was going to play that new Black Mesa remake game, it is FREE and Standalone (my kind of game since I am a Campaign Only Gamer) but I was told that I needed to install Steam as well... this is not a matter of Piracy prevention anymore since the game is FREE!!! if the game is FREE why do I need to install this crap? God only knows that we have a ton of spyware and malware in our computers, why do we need 1 more crap on it... Again, I don't need a Game Manager, I am old enough to manage my own crap.

Talking about Ubisoft and their 95% of PC pirates, I ask you... is it ok for them to sell us a broken down console port game that 3 months later can not be installed by some people and/or playable in Multiplayer and call it LEGAL? Again, they already have your 60 dollars and you still can not enjoy your purchase. Hell, you have been annoyed and angered for 3 months. Is it LEGAL for them to do this? How is this different from those alleged Pirates that download a game, test it and if they like it they buy it and if they don't, toss it away? Sure, a minority will download it, play it and not buy it at a later time but they were not going to buy it to begin with so its not like they count much.

I am not talking about whether the game has huge potential or not, I am talking about the fact that you have paid money for an item that does not work... that should not be legal, as a matter of fact, that should be consider ILLEGAL.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is PC gaming Being Done Away With?





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33